It appears that the explosion in Venezuela was an attack on Iran's missile base

Status
Not open for further replies.

NICO

According to the Israelis Iran has developed the Shahab-5 missile which has a range of 5000 km. This could reach most of Europe from Iran, or the eastern half of the US from Venezuela. The European nations are concerned enough to reverse their position on anti-missile defenses.

Chavez has expressed interest in acquiring these weapons to counter US attacks that he claims are imminent. Venezuela also claims to be starting a nuclear energy industry using Iranian centrifuge technology.
The only valid claim to USA threatening VZ is maybe the Yankees or the RED-SOX getting hold of some good pitchers or "offering" asylum to some young prospects. :rotfl

The only reason VZ is on USA radar is because of Hugo Chavez. VZ is a nice country (I would love to visit Angel Falls) and they have some of most beautiful woman in the world (check out Miss Universe contest), USA is a huge buyer of their oil, no reason for USA to go to war with them except for him. :frown

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only valid claim to USA threatening VZ is maybe the Yankees or the RED-SOX getting hold of some good pitchers or "offering" asylum to some young prospects. :rotfl

The only reason VZ is on USA radar is because of Hugo Chavez. VZ is a nice country (I would love to visit Angel Falls) and they have some of most beautiful woman in the world (check out Miss Universe contest), USA is a huge buyer of their oil, no reason for USA to go to war with them except for him. :frown
Don't feel so down. He's not the clown he seems to be at first glance. Rather he is a shrewd and calculating popular (populist in fact) leader fairly characteristic of South America and Latin America.

Anyways to sum this up.

I think the argument is pretty obvious. VZ has strong diplomatic ties with Russia, not so much with Iran. Their weapon purchases have been oriented largely within a local and regional context, not intended to strike against the US. Militarily they've been focused on upgrading and replacing current gear, they've done very little and shown very little desire to develop or purchase any sort of ballistic missiles, above tactical, and tactical-operational levels. There is no real evidence they intend to, have purchased, or will purchase in the future, Iranian long range ballistic missiles. They have nothing to gain by it, and their immediate diplomatic situation makes such a step more troublesome then any potential deterrence value. If anything such a purchase would make them a target, and Russia would do very little (if anything) to help.

On this cheerful note I'm going to lock this thread as having run it's course and explored thoroughly (more so then it deserves) the original (ridiculous) suggestion. If you want to discuss VZ's defence issues in a sane manner there is a number of threads devoted to their recent arms purchases. If you feel strongly about exploring their political issues, the Intro's and Off-Topics is available, you can take your discussions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.