Is the Super Hornet the best fighter for the Canadian Forces

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
At least with the SH you would probably get a good 10 years of use out of it. 500 aircraft (with a high use user), significant with commonality with the 1500 hornets. If they wanted to significantly delay a F-35 buy, I would probably go with SH, and flog the bejesus out of a squadron (given the options). In 10 years time the F-35 will be a proven, low risk, right in its sweet spot. They won't save any money, but it could be done I guess. Australia showed at least your SH will be operational in a very short amount of time. Gripen and Rafael seem to be slow build lines.
I'd say longer. I've just read some doco indicating that the USN will be extending the life of all its combatant platforms by a minimum of ave 5 years.

the road runner

You would think the Canadian Government.....

*Would be wise to the fact that the JSF will be produced into the thousands.
*That Canada is one of the Partner Nations for JSF
*That Canadian industry is part of the supply chain for these 3000 plus JSF to be produced
*That a number of close allied nations are all choosing the JSF
*That the JSF is the future for most Western Nations

You would think common sense would win out, and an informed decision would be made on selection the JSF into the near future.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
You would think the Canadian Government.....

*Would be wise to the fact that the JSF will be produced into the thousands.
*That Canada is one of the Partner Nations for JSF
*That Canadian industry is part of the supply chain for these 3000 plus JSF to be produced
*That a number of close allied nations are all choosing the JSF
*That the JSF is the future for most Western Nations

You would think common sense would win out, and an informed decision would be made on selection the JSF into the near future.
Canadian politicians and common sense....oxymoron alert!:D

the concerned

What is the time frame to replace the f-18's and would the Korean kfx be an option as it suggests an aircraft beyond the capabilities of most 4th generation aircraft with later batches offering 5th generation's

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
What is the time frame to replace the f-18's and would the Korean kfx be an option as it suggests an aircraft beyond the capabilities of most 4th generation aircraft with later batches offering 5th generation's
The former government here committed money to extend the service life of the CF-18s out to about 2025. The remaining fleet is around 80 jets but I doubt if half this number would receive life extensions. I am not sure if this plan is still in the works or not. My feeling is junior won't decide this issue during his first mandate which means it could be 5-6 years before a purchase happens. The only positive note is reversing their opposition to the F-35 down the road will be politically less painful.

King Wally

The KFX is still in the ultra early pipe-dream stage. I don't think anyone has even seen a proper design let alone firm capability targets, a timeline for IOC or even a general idea on unit price. Bet on that horse to your own peril!

Future Fleet

I don't think the F-18E is an option anymore since the Canadian government postponed major procurement until 2020 and the F-18 production line is scheduled to close down in 2017.

The likelihood Canada's government will agree to spending 2% GDP for defence (NATO obligation) is nil. The previous government didn't even consider it. Canada needs an aircraft that is affordable to purchase, but even more so, affordable to fly. The upfront cost of an airplane is a small part of the total cost of ownership when cost per flight hour is factored in.

From a cost perspective, Canadian pilots would be able to fly more hours in a Gripen compared to any other aircraft, even the F-35. This aircraft would be sufficient to hold us over till the 6th gen aircraft are available and then serve in a mixed force. Maybe even provide the Snow Birds with desperately needed replacements!

Is the Gripen the best? No, but its good enough for Canada's needs.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the F-18E is an option anymore since the Canadian government postponed major procurement until 2020 and the F-18 production line is scheduled to close down in 2017.
Nearly correct. The line is not scheduled to close, however if the Kuwait deal falls over due to Congressional political games or that the USN stop gap order for 16 through 2017-2018 also falls over, then Boeing may indeed pull the plug. However, Boeing is still confident for future sales and is looking to invest in stock and materials to keep the line open and is working through its feasibility study at present.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Nearly correct. The line is not scheduled to close, however if the Kuwait deal falls over due to Congressional political games or that the USN stop gap order for 16 through 2017-2018 also falls over, then Boeing may indeed pull the plug. However, Boeing is still confident for future sales and is looking to invest in stock and materials to keep the line open and is working through its feasibility study at present.

Doesn't Kuwait's formal purchase of 28 Typhoons end their quest for Superhornets? Even with the USN's current requests for SHs and Growlers, the line likely can't stay open out to 2020 without export orders before then. Can't see the other potential prospects, Finland and Denmark, deciding before 2020. Junior has put off the fighter replacement until his second mandate. By that time we will be in poorer economic shape than we are now. Even Gripens will be a challenge to purchase.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't Kuwait's formal purchase of 28 Typhoons end their quest for Superhornets? Even with the USN's current requests for SHs and Growlers, the line likely can't stay open out to 2020 without export orders before then. Can't see the other potential prospects, Finland and Denmark, deciding before 2020. Junior has put off the fighter replacement until his second mandate. By that time we will be in poorer economic shape than we are now. Even Gripens will be a challenge to purchase.
Good Gawd you are right John. Thats what happens when you rely on print media aviation sources for information. Magazines are a month old in news by the time they hit the stands. Yes 6 days ago the Kuwati's went with Typhoons. I should not trust the dead tree media even it is a month old jn this electronic age. Well that really does put the pressure on young Junior. :bum

the road runner

John Fedup said:
Can't see the other potential prospects, Finland and Denmark, deciding before 2020. Junior has put off the fighter replacement until his second mandate. By that time we will be in poorer economic shape than we are now. Even Gripens will be a challenge to purchase.
India could be the only hope for the SH line to stay open(or transfer the line to India)..... They are loosing Squadrons of retired fighters and really need to purchase a large amount of fighters to stop the rot!

Its a long shot ,but India could purchase F-18 or F-16,you just never know

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
India could be the only hope for the SH line to stay open(or transfer the line to India)..... They are loosing Squadrons of retired fighters and really need to purchase a large amount of fighters to stop the rot!

India has been dicking Dassault around for several years on first a joint production for 120+ Rafales which then morphed into a straight purchase for 36 jets. This deal still hasn't been firmed up. India rejected the Superhornet. Even if they reconsidered, they would never get an order out in time. India is in our league when it comes to screwed up military procurement.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Junior has put off the fighter replacement until his second mandate. By that time we will be in poorer economic shape than we are now. Even Gripens will be a challenge to purchase.
Actually I read this the other day:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...ce-policy-review-wont-delay-cf-18-rep-423949/

According to article the competition to replace the CF-18's will be run 'independently' of the Defence Policy Review.

Technically there could well be a decision on CF-18's before 2020, which of course means the Super Hornet production line could still be open.

Regardless of the Super Hornet line being open or not by the time Canada makes a decision, I'd still hope that Canada would still proceed with the F-35A.

Wouldn't hold my breath though!!

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Actually I read this the other day:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...ce-policy-review-wont-delay-cf-18-rep-423949/

According to article the competition to replace the CF-18's will be run 'independently' of the Defence Policy Review.

Technically there could well be a decision on CF-18's before 2020, which of course means the Super Hornet production line could still be open.

Regardless of the Super Hornet line being open or not by the time Canada makes a decision, I'd still hope that Canada would still proceed with the F-35A.

Wouldn't hold my breath though!!
Fighter replacement is at the bottom of junior's to-do list. Nothing will happen until 2020. This could actually improve the F-35's chances assuming the software promised for 2019 is on time and works.

King Wally

When India is your last hope you may as well pack it in and close the doors.

Hopefully Canada drags it's feet long enough that the only logical choice left standing is the F35A.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
When India is your last hope you may as well pack it in and close the doors.

Hopefully Canada drags it's feet long enough that the only logical choice left standing is the F35A.
I think you can count on junior dragging his feet but logic may be a bridge too far.

t68

Wait long enough and there may be used Supers up for grabs....
There are only two users of Super Hornet USN and RAAF. Even if the RAAf one come available there are not enough to replace CDN needs, as for the USN one can't see them getting rid of them soon either as from memory the are 2 or 3 squadron short.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
There are only two users of Super Hornet USN and RAAF. Even if the RAAf one come available there are not enough to replace CDN needs, as for the USN one can't see them getting rid of them soon either as from memory the are 2 or 3 squadron short.

Agreed with regards to used SH. I really do believe that junior's delay enhances the the chances for a F-35 buy. The SH line will likely be closed and the RCAF will put up stiff opposition against any Euro solution. The only chance the Euros have is a continued screw up on software or some new significant problem that isn't resolved by 2020. Even then this could end up giving junior a reason to delay further (in the unfortunate event he wins a second mandate).

Agreed with regards to used SH. I really do believe that junior's delay enhances the the chances for a F-35 buy. The SH line will likely be closed and the RCAF will put up stiff opposition against any Euro solution. The only chance the Euros have is a continued screw up on software or some new significant problem that isn't resolved by 2020. Even then this could end up giving junior a reason to delay further (in the unfortunate event he wins a second mandate).
As long as you don't get something like we had in NZ and some amazing rationale like a "Benign security environment" and "more urgent priorities" to disestablish things. I'd be surprised if you didn't get the F-35 but I would be surprised if you get a full complement. Best of luck though.