Is the AK-47 louder than the M4 carbine?

DemonSlayer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
people familiar with both weapons will be able to tell the difference. out on the range we could tell every time what weapons were under test. esp when under sustained fire.

they are different. audibly so.

this has got nothing to do with how loud a weapon is. the acoustic characteristics are different. it's got nothing to do with a db thresh-hold.
I know this thread is a little old and you have already gone over this a few times but I was wondering how are the AK-47 and M16/M4 acoustically different?

If they are both equally loud how does the acoustics differ? Is the pitch different or something?

Please forgive my ignorance I'm just a little confused on this issue and I know this thread is old but I was hoping you can help me.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Geez,

Enough of this, next chance I get at the shooting range I will grab a M16, AK-47 and throw in a AK 74 also seeings how this is Russia`s preference in rifle caliber and use a metro sonics noise dosimeter and settle it.

F-15 Eagle,

If you are out for a daily range adventure go out and get yourself a pair of ear plugs, they are not that big in cost and most gun ranges actually will give them out for free, ringing in your ears is not a good sign and you need to protect your ears while you still can. It sucks having everyone yell at you because the TV is blasting way too loud for them.:D

F-15 Eagle

Geez,

Enough of this, next chance I get at the shooting range I will grab a M16, AK-47 and throw in a AK 74 also seeings how this is Russia`s preference in rifle caliber and use a metro sonics noise dosimeter and settle it.

F-15 Eagle,

If you are out for a daily range adventure go out and get yourself a pair of ear plugs, they are not that big in cost and most gun ranges actually will give them out for free, ringing in your ears is not a good sign and you need to protect your ears while you still can. It sucks having everyone yell at you because the TV is blasting way too loud for them.:D
I found this video of some guy shooting both the M4 and AK-47. There is plenty of them on youtube though most are crappy sound quality so I don't know if this video accurately portrays the sound effects right. But at least in this video and with most others I watched on youtube the AK-47/SKS and the AR-15/M16/M4 sound pretty much the same.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCKd3RIJyI&feature=channel_page]YouTube - AR15, AK47[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkpQ_Cs-ek"]YouTube - Shooting AK-47 and a 223[/ame]

eckherl,

I know I know I'm an idiot for not wearing ear plugs it was pure stupidity on my part and I learned the hard way. Next time I go shooting I will have ear protection. Though listening to loud music does not help ether.:D

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good grief. I am completely over this thread.

Lets ignore the fact that I worked on a project that was designed to discriminate between russian and atypical western weapons because it was designed to ID and target the shooter within microseconds of the shot.

There is a difference. If you can't hear it, then it doesn't matter because the response system and your neighbours dog can certainly tell the difference.

considering the fact that australia sold such systems to US Govt agencies (and at least 4 other countries) also seems to indicate that it works and does do as expected.

If an individual cannot hear the difference, then BFD

DemonSlayer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good grief. I am completely over this thread.

Lets ignore the fact that I worked on a project that was designed to discriminate between russian and atypical western weapons because it was designed to ID and target the shooter within microseconds of the shot.

There is a difference. If you can't hear it, then it doesn't matter because the response system and your neighbours dog can certainly tell the difference.

considering the fact that australia sold such systems to US Govt agencies (and at least 4 other countries) also seems to indicate that it works and does do as expected.

If an individual cannot hear the difference, then BFD
I'm not worried about electronic detection systems. What I'm trying to ask is what is your personal opinion on the noise difference between the 7.62X39 and 5.56X45. I'm trying to ask how is the noise different? Not whether a machine can tell the difference. How would you describe the noise of the M16 and AK-47? That's what I'm trying to say.