Iran's supposed Zolfaqar-3 MBT actually captured Abrams?

driftder

tatra said:
ACIG's LCIG forum may have some pics and schematics.
eh?! a forum that talks about air war having schematics of a Iran tank?! I rather trust gf0012-aust's unclassified info. At least it won't be so biased :p:.

SATAN

The Iranians have money,why dont they just buy T-90s from the Russians? Same goes with fighter jets, why dont they just go buy off the shelf defense Hardware? The Ayatollahs are swiming in oil money these days,

jtcohen

That is a big dream for Russian arms dealers, it is a good idea but what happens when a conflict starts that the Russians are not OK with and they cut off the spare parts chuckwagon? (I have a funny feeling there is a large pro-Israel lobby in Moscow that has leverage over who gets what, look at Syria, they want to buy the S-300 and some Su-27s. That would just provide more realistic training for the IAF pilots)

Saw this yesterday -

Report: Russia woos Iran on weapons
By Agence France Presse (AFP)

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

MOSCOW: Russia is intensifying efforts to sell weapons to Iran while such sales remain legal amid mounting pressure on the Islamic Republic over its nuclear program, the daily Kommersant said. Moscow "has stepped up military-technological cooperation with Tehran," the business daily said, citing an unidentified source. It said top officials within Russia's military-industrial complex decided to concentrate on arms sales to Tehran for two reasons:

"First, as many weapons as possible must be sold to Iran before an international embargo against this country comes into force." Second, should the United States decide to go to war in Iran, Russia wants Iran to be well-armed to ensure that U.S. forces become at least as bogged down there as they already are in Iraq, the daily said.

"In either case, such a policy carries a high risk of creating a major international scandal, at the very least," it said.

The report came two days after the International Atomic Energy Agency formally found Iran in violation of its obligations under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a decision the United States hailed as a "significant step forward" in its efforts to curb Iran's nuclear plans.

"The United States practically no longer even hides the fact that, in parallel with diplomacy at the IAEA, it is making preparations to resolve the conflict by force," Kommersant said.

The U.S. ambassador to the ex-Soviet republic of Azerbaijan, which borders Iran, said in a recent interview that Washington is encouraging - and helping fund - a buildup in the capacities of naval forces for Azerbaijan and another former Soviet republic, Kazakhstan.

Both border the oil-rich Caspian Sea, as does Iran. In its assertion that Washington is already making preparations for military action in the region, Kommersant cited the U.S.-funded construction of two radar stations in Azerbaijan. - AFP

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=18825#

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
driftder said:
eh?! a forum that talks about air war having schematics of a Iran tank?! I rather trust gf0012-aust's unclassified info. At least it won't be so biased :p:.
Yeah, amazing isn't it? ACIG has great land-combat and naval combat sections, with expert people including "in country" professionals. No bias toward air combat whatsoever. Some of them are forum members here too.

driftder

tatra said:
Yeah, amazing isn't it? ACIG has great land-combat and naval combat sections, with expert people including "in country" professionals. No bias toward air combat whatsoever. Some of them are forum members here too.
my apologies - I stand corrected. They do have a land war section :p. The flavor of humble pie remains the same - bland.

turin

SATAN said:
The Iranians have money,why dont they just buy T-90s from the Russians? Same goes with fighter jets, why dont they just go buy off the shelf defense Hardware? The Ayatollahs are swiming in oil money these days,
Isnt it obvious? Iran is trying to manufacture as much hardware as possible indigenously. Relying on others for your defence isnt such a good idea, especially when you may face a situation where everyone turns away from you. Also Iran is quite a large country, so they really should be able to establish a vital defence industry of their own.

Other than that there already exists a close relationship between Russia and Iran concerning military and commercial R&D. However it is obvious that Iran pursues a strategy of domestic industry development, and I think thats a wise choice.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm just wondering whether these Iranian tanks may be a continuation of their Chieftain development programme. Superficially, a modified Chieftain could loook like an M1. Similar mass etc... and the obvious thing would be to change profile by changing turret etc....

driftder

gf0012-aust said:
I'm just wondering whether these Iranian tanks may be a continuation of their Chieftain development programme. Superficially, a modified Chieftain could loook like an M1. Similar mass etc... and the obvious thing would be to change profile by changing turret etc....
I thought that the British had pull a stop to it? And that the Iranians prefer working with countries that are not USA allied? If what you said is true, then Iran had pulled a real fast and good one. IIRC the present Challenger grew out of that program.

CSS

The grand project of Shah Iran.

Shir Iran 1, a tank project derivative of Centurion/Chieftain. Take over by the Brits and converted to Challenger series.

Any of the prototype reach Iran that time? If so, I share the sentiment of gf0012-aust regarding the design of the tank.

driftder

CSS said:
The grand project of Shah Iran.

Shir Iran 1, a tank project derivative of Centurion/Chieftain. Take over by the Brits and converted to Challenger series.

Any of the prototype reach Iran that time? If so, I share the sentiment of gf0012-aust regarding the design of the tank.
Yes the prototype or rather the pre-prototype, as the Shah was in control still. Then when things look iffy for the Shah, the Brits up stakes and pull out since they were not getting paid. Lucky for them as if the Iranians had paid and got hold of the ancestor of the Challenger so to speak, where would British armour be?

mestrecarlos

It is a Brazilian Osorio MBT - Prototype

Brazilian designed Main Battle Tank, by Engesa in the Eighties. This photo was taken during a "roadshow tour" in the middle east where we tried sell it to Saudi Arabia, Iraqui and Iran.

Vajt

Brazilian designed Main Battle Tank, by Engesa in the Eighties. This photo was taken during a "roadshow tour" in the middle east where we tried sell it to Saudi Arabia, Iraqui and Iran.
It was a nice looking tank. Too bad it never got produced.

As far as the design of the Zolfaqar-3, there are so many tank and turret shapes to use so they probably opted for one based more on the M1 design. Until the un-manned turreted tanks get produced (maybe the T-95) most turret shapes fall within established designs.

-----JT-----

Twilight

well ... today Iran tested it Zolfaghar 3 MBT ....
The army general said it is more advance than Iranian T72S in most features and Iran will mass produce it ...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
well ... today Iran tested it Zolfaghar 3 MBT ....
The army general said it is more advance than Iranian T72S in most features and Iran will mass produce it ...
Do you mean T-72S or T72Z? Because they are very different tanks.The former is an export T-72B model, the latter is an indigenous T-55 upgrade.

NICO

I just found these pictures on Iranian site, supposed to have been taken today? for upcoming exercise. Is this the new tank we are talking about? Kind of hard to tell since the Iranian have put some kind of netting on it but the placard on the side says Zolfaghar (new)?

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I just found these pictures on Iranian site, supposed to have been taken today? for upcoming exercise. Is this the new tank we are talking about? Kind of hard to tell since the Iranian have put some kind of netting on it but the placard on the side says Zolfaghar (new)?
Looked at the first two pictures of the new tank - saw the massive commanders cupola and thought the last time I saw something that big on top of a turret was when 'bomber' Beazley was pictured trying to get into a Leopard - or the cupola off an M60, then in the next picture...

(Apologies to the internationals - 'bomber' Beazley was our former defence minister - until very recently a fairly 'robust' sized chap)

Twilight

Do you mean T-72S or T72Z? Because they are very different tanks.The former is an export T-72B model, the latter is an indigenous T-55 upgrade.
T72S ( T72B export model ) .... They clearly said it is better than T72S .... Iran closed T72S factory in recent month and said want to mass produce Zolfaghar 3 MBT .... till now Iran produce T72S under Russian license ( I mean T72 B exports model )

I have it test clip but i can't link it ... it is against forum rules ...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looked at the first two pictures of the new tank - saw the massive commanders cupola and thought the last time I saw something that big on top of a turret was when 'bomber' Beazley was pictured trying to get into a Leopard - or the cupola off an M60, then in the next picture...

(Apologies to the internationals - 'bomber' Beazley was our former defence minister - until very recently a fairly 'robust' sized chap)
I recall reading somewhere that the Zolfiqar project started as an amalgamation of the T-72 and M-60 tanks. It would make sense for them to borrow design components from the most modern tanks they have access to.

SteelTiger 177

If the Iranians are doing anything in the way of tank developement for the most part they've been trying to their current tanks (Chieftains and M48 and 60 Pattons)in working order.Let's also not forget that before the Sha was overthorne in 1979 the Iranian Army was set to be a joint development program with the British on a tank that we know today as the Challenger and that during the 1980s the Soviets tried to sell T-72s to Iran during the Iran-Iraq war also some Warsaw Pact coungtries also tried to sell T-72s to Iraq and Iran is also considdering possibly purchasing armor from the PRC.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
If the Iranians are doing anything in the way of tank developement for the most part they've been trying to their current tanks (Chieftains and M48 and 60 Pattons)in working order.Let's also not forget that before the Sha was overthorne in 1979 the Iranian Army was set to be a joint development program with the British on a tank that we know today as the Challenger and that during the 1980s the Soviets tried to sell T-72s to Iran during the Iran-Iraq war also some Warsaw Pact coungtries also tried to sell T-72s to Iraq and Iran is also considdering possibly purchasing armor from the PRC.
On an industrial basis, Iran has license-built T-72's, so they are able to fabricate some components for vehicles. Also given how widespread and long the service lives of those three designs were, and their relative simplicity (compared to fighter jets and air to air missiles) I doubt Iran has been having trouble keeping those tanks they wish to in service.

What they would naturally be interested in was a tank which was as effective if not more so, which can be kept in service.

Where Iran would potentially have some problems making advancements would be in the optics and electronics systems, as well as in advanced composite armours.

-Cheers