Iranian Drones

merocaine

One USN carrier = a couple of billion
40 super hornets = 50 mill a pop
UAV + lazar designator + Iskander = priceless

Ha Ha i love those stories, I guess the Indians used to call this counting coup.

szaba

As i said before. It matters not the resolution - you can relay the carrier location, course and speed back to base for missile targeting upload. Al you need to be able to do is pick out the aircraft carrier. If the drone can carry a 720 line camera at say 15,000 ft it can also carry a targetting laser slaved to the camera gymball. Watch the video footage and see the operator panning, zooming etc. A skilled operator with small joystick "blips" could easily designate something that big.

The best case with this scenario for the USN is that they were busy recording the RF emissions siganture of the drone telemetry in order to jam it when/if the poo hits the fan with Iran.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
When a carrier transits the Hormuz, everyone knows where it is anyway, especially in peacetime conditions. So they can launch an UAV an get their footage, provided the USN doesn't consider the UAV a threat. Repeat, peacetime conditions ie ROE.

And apparently the USN didn't consider it a threat.

So what is the treshold for a coup? This is little feat under such circumstances. It certainly caters to those who wish to believe that the Iranians can do this under crisis conditions.

And thus the Iranians look more powerful and competent than they might be. And the Americans seem vulnerable and weak.

Consider the domestic and regional audience.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
I don't know why they didn't use it for target practise, save them from using a target drone. Also don't Carriers have a maritime/air exclusion zone regardless of peace time ROE's?

isthvan

Heck I don't see what is big deal here?

-Persian Gulf isn't exactly Pacific ocean so they shouldn't have to much problem finding carrier since they have maritime reconnaissance aircrafts and coastal radars. Plus even without that they should know where carrier is since they can fallow her after she transit the Hormuz ...

- US are not in the war with Iran and I doubt that USN would shot at unidentified Iranian aircraft after downing of Iran Air Flight 655 in 1988...

- Soviets overflown US carrier at numerous occasions during Cold war (also Iranian P-3s overflown US CBG on more then few occasions)...

This are joust peacetime games and Iranian publicity stunts... Nothing more...

merocaine

I really dont think the USN allows ufo's in there air space peacetime or not!!

Really think about it, the Iranians had a carriar fleet under close observation without being detected, thats no mean feat. Give them some credit. I dont know how many times I've read on this site about how invonroble a carriar is, how many layers of defence ect, someone overflys it with a cheap ass drone and suddeny a lot of people start poo pooing it.

WAR

I think Iran lack such high tech equipment to take pics from a drone.

This is perhaps, a part of on-going propaganda warfare, to counter any would-be threat, which may be the outcome of Iran's refusal to pack/ freeze her nuclear ambitions.

Remember, Iranians are very good in prolonging negotiations/ engaging targets (say IAEA etc) in restless talks, and at the same time making sure to demonstrate their viable detterence into visible deterrence.

isthvan

I really dont think the USN allows ufo's in there air space peacetime or not!!

Really think about it, the Iranians had a carriar fleet under close observation without being detected, thats no mean feat. Give them some credit. I dont know how many times I've read on this site about how invonroble a carriar is, how many layers of defence ect, someone overflys it with a cheap ass drone and suddeny a lot of people start poo pooing it.
You are sure about that? My why didn't then US Navy shoot down all those Soviet/Russian Bears and Mays?

I really don't doubt that Iranian UAVs have overflown US carriers but you seriously don't expect us to belive Iranian claims that US CBG didn't know that they are being overflown?

merocaine

how much of a terrorist target do you think us carrier is, a Soviet/Russian Bears or Mays is not a UFO, if a plane doesent ID itself a carriar group will shoot it down. You dont let UFO,s fly around your capital ships, esp in the persian gulf.
This is'ent some cold war game with rules dude, remember the USS Cole, yeah dont screw around in the Gulf.
There's no way i'd allow a UFO near my ships if I was a US Navy captian, not in the gulf not anywhere.

Anyway havent the hezz used iranian drones to penatrate israeli airspace? theres ways and means i guess.

THAT PHOTOS AWESOME!!
is it real??

Big-E

Banned Member
As i said before. It matters not the resolution - you can relay the carrier location, course and speed back to base for missile targeting upload. Al you need to be able to do is pick out the aircraft carrier. If the drone can carry a 720 line camera at say 15,000 ft it can also carry a targetting laser slaved to the camera gymball. Watch the video footage and see the operator panning, zooming etc. A skilled operator with small joystick "blips" could easily designate something that big.

The best case with this scenario for the USN is that they were busy recording the RF emissions siganture of the drone telemetry in order to jam it when/if the poo hits the fan with Iran.
Talk about uneccesary... you don't need a UAV with a laser designator to target a carrier. You can pick up a Nimitz hundreds of miles away on radar. It isn't exactly stealth.

BTW if you tried to target anything with that wobbly footage that LGB would end up half way to Tehran.

isthvan

THAT PHOTOS AWESOME!!
is it real??
Photo is real. It shows Soviet overflow of USS Midway during early 1970s.

This is'ent some cold war game with rules dude, remember the USS Cole, yeah dont screw around in the Gulf.
There's no way i'd allow a UFO near my ships if I was a US Navy captian, not in the gulf not anywhere.
IMHO US CBG knows when they are shadowed by Iranian UAV and if that UAV becomes treat carrier can shoot it down with CIWS. They are designed to down anti ship missiles so they shouldn't have problem to shot down slow low tech UAV...

Also IIRC USN has fighters on Alert CAP...

And while I remember what happened to USS Cole in port of Aden this is somewhat different situation. Only possibly hostile country with UAV capability is Iran and I doubt that mulas are loony enough to attack carrier with UAV when they have all that SSM on there disposal. Plus Iranian UAVs cant carry enough ordinance to pose treat to carrier( certainly not nearly as much you can stuff in speed boat like the one that was used in attack at USS Cole).

Big-E

Banned Member
Photo is real. It shows Soviet overflow of USS Midway during early 1970s.
That is definetly not Midway... not only is it too small but you wouldn't see a deck littered with Hornets, instead you would see it full of F-4s. That is a Nimitz carrier filmed after the F-14 retirement.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
how much of a terrorist target do you think us carrier is, a Soviet/Russian Bears or Mays is not a UFO, if a plane doesent ID itself a carriar group will shoot it down. You dont let UFO,s fly around your capital ships, esp in the persian gulf.

Anyway havent the hezz used iranian drones to penatrate israeli airspace? theres ways and means i guess.

THAT PHOTOS AWESOME!!
is it real??
Have you considered Iranian drones are so very similar to the target drones used by Western Navies?

Not to shoot it down was a deliberate choice.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you considered Iranian drones are so very similar to the target drones used by Western Navies?

Not to shoot it down was a deliberate choice.
And a silly choice at that, shoot first, ask questions later i say!:ar15

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, that's the way peace ROAs work. :rolleyes:
This is not how you avoid wars!

Last edited:

stryker NZ

bloody hell ive got a remote control plane that bigger and looks better built than that and i made it in my garden shed, that Iran sure does like its propaganda doesnt it :eek:nfloorl:

davh12

Iran has UAVs..............not RC control either. No secret there. They're not as advanced as we are.

Dave