Iran, Russia sign $1 billion defence deal

ziggi

It seems that the Russians are offering up air defense technology to the Iranians. It could be possible that the these systems are being offered at a substantial discount to the Iranians to convince them to drop their plans to make nukes. ie. Acquiring $5 billion in SAMs for $1 billion (my economics are most probably off but you get the picture)
For my theory to be correct the assumption must be made that the Iranians are only developing nukes for their own defense and perhaps the Russians or some third party understands their fears and wants to offer up discount SAMs to allay Iranian defense fears and to give them incentive to stop their nuke program without outright war.
Although judging by current US posturing and recent news it seems the Iranians don't feel that SAMs are enough.

Dr Phobus

ziggi said:
It seems that the Russians are offering up air defense technology to the Iranians. It could be possible that the these systems are being offered at a substantial discount to the Iranians to convince them to drop their plans to make nukes. ie. Acquiring $5 billion in SAMs for $1 billion (my economics are most probably off but you get the picture)
For my theory to be correct the assumption must be made that the Iranians are only developing nukes for their own defense and perhaps the Russians or some third party understands their fears and wants to offer up discount SAMs to allay Iranian defense fears and to give them incentive to stop their nuke program without outright war.
Although judging by current US posturing and recent news it seems the Iranians don't feel that SAMs are enough.
Hello, indeed, the sale of weapons in only defensive in nature, a lot of tor-1 systems, which are well understood since greece also operates the same system. Also, 300-pmu were also noted. Also, upgrades to some of there air force. I have little doubt that iran are working hard to deveolp there own nukes and the russians have a lot of reason to help prevent that.. Remember chechnia. myself, i see the situation going military over time...

Rich

The Iranians will eat leather before they voluntarily give up their nuclear program. The S-300 is a perfectly capable system operating on its own, which is why they are buying it. They know their network is going to be the first thing that goes.

Black Legion

The main reason why Iranians want the S-300 SAM system because it just fits in with Tor-M1 system which is designed primarily to shoot down low flying aircraft, it can't shoot down planes above 20 000 feet, but when it's operational, flying low won't save you unless you can fly no higher then 15m which is impossible. When you combine it with the S-300 which can shoot down targets up to 30,000 m and it's a state of the art system, they can be deadly and effective anti-aircraft defense.

Viktor

wittmanace said:
i dont remember the news source, so im not saying this is fact written in stone, but i remember a nws source in the uk saying that the iranians had acquired s 300 systems.....anyone remember this story? the story gave a few details, but not many. in th picture they used, there was an s 300pmu, though that might have been for visual reference, rather than showing the actual type sold................anyone know this story...as i said i think it was a uk news source (not bbc)...
I remember. Iran has few bateries of S-300 but not the upgded versions of S-300PMU1/2/3.
There has being mutch talk about Russian sales of S-300PMU1/2/3 to Iran but I did not read any story supporting claims Iran did buy it.
Russia had being pulling out of some hudge military sales to Iran in the last moment due to US preasure and US promisses for new arms marked whitch did not happen. Russia has not sold since any advanced weapons to Iran.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Viktor said:
I remember. Iran has few bateries of S-300 but not the upgded versions of S-300PMU1/2/3.
There has being mutch talk about Russian sales of S-300PMU1/2/3 to Iran but I did not read any story supporting claims Iran did buy it.
Russia had being pulling out of some hudge military sales to Iran in the last moment due to US preasure and US promisses for new arms marked whitch did not happen. Russia has not sold since any advanced weapons to Iran.
Iran has some of the search radars associated with S-300, but not the fire control system or the missiles.

Viktor

Grand Danois said:
Iran has some of the search radars associated with S-300, but not the fire control system or the missiles.
Perhaps but I read few article stating Iran has operational S-300 bateries outside Teheran. Older versions.