Indonesia sends warships to waters claimed by Malaysia

A

Aussie Digger

Deltared075 said:
What fighter deploy at Sabah? If i'm not mistaken most of the Mig-29 were deployed at the Malaysia paninsular. So F-18 at Sabah?

:D Maybe now we can see the F-18 or the F-16 is better
Maybe, though the Malayasian F/A-18C/D are far more advanced than the Indonesian F-16's, so it might not be an entirely fair contest. The Malaysian jets would have a radar range advantage purely over the Indo F-16 (leaving aside GCI issues, and neither side has an AWACS capability).

What works against Indonesia though is the Five Power Defence Agreement (FPDA). If a shooting war started, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the UK would be obliged to come to Malaysia's aid. Indonesia would DEFINITELY be in a world of hurt then. I'd give it's entire Navy and airforce a single day once the FPDA forces arrived...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yesterday, before President Yudhoyono went to Tarakan Navy Base in Kalimantan, he had a phone conversation with Malaysian PM, Abdullah Badawi, in Halim Perdanakusuma Airbase.Both leader call each other as friend and they make agreement that there will be ministry meting about this problem in 9 March, when an ASEAN meeting in Jakarta. Also yesterday former President, Abdurrahman Wahid ( Gus Dur )had a meeting with Malaysian official, Mr Syed Hamid Albar, if i'm not mistake.Gus Dur stated that Malaysia also want diplomatic solution about Ambalat problem, and Indonesia must prepare the strong evidence to its claim about Ambalat.

Beside the diplomatic way, Indonesia still prepare to sent some additional forces.Today Pasmar 1 ( Pasukan Marinir 1 / Marine Force 1 ) from Karang Pilang Marine Base Surabaya, after sent two company of its elite Yontaifib in Sebatik Island they prepare one complete marine battalion ( 700-800 soldier ) equipped with RM-70 rocket, Howitzer-105 and Howitzer-125 from the marine Artillery Regiment.They now on highly ready state to sent to conflict area.
Some additional Hawk from Sumatra air base maybe sent to The First Air Squadron, Elang Khatulistiwa/The Equator's Eagle in Supadio Airbase,Pontianak,West Kalimantan.

In some Indonesian city, like Jakarta, Surabaya and Makassar there was some protester who speak their anger to Malaysia.The famous "Ganyang Malaysia/Crush Malaysia" poster is saw in some place.Ganyang Malaysia is from former President Soekarno speech when he began the campaign against Malaysia in 60's,the Konfrontasi.

The parliament member also start to speak louder about this problem.They said that whatever equipment that TNI need to guard the borderline will be given.I don't know exactly where they will get the money.But like some politician say, National Pride and Sovereignity is non-negotiable.It may include the armament for TNI-AU Sukhois and the buy of complete one Squadron of Sukhois ( 12-16 planes ) also some extra ship for TNI AL.

I really think that before the condition getting worse, the constructive meeting between Indonesian and Malaysian govt. is a must.I have some nice malaysian friends in med faculty here in Semarang.They are a gentlement, a good soccer player and i want to keep friendship with them :(

Last edited:

Paxter

hey... isnt President Yudhoyono a former general and was in the army during the 60s confrontation with malaysia? hmm the only reason i can come up with for indonesia to be agressive towards malaysia is to some how create some patrotic mood within indonesia to cover up their economic woes... in other words blame it on malaysia...

The island issue is just an excuse... if that was the case malaysia and singapore would have came to blows so many times since their fighters and navy tend to come into malaysian waters/air space on an everyday basis...

My indo friend dont worry... what ever it is indonesia wont go to war with us cause there is too much to lose and nothing to gain...

And malaysia wont go to war because malaysians are inlove with their economy and money...

our prime minister unfortunately was a cutural minister :D so we love talking ... a pen is mightier then a sword! :coffee

Paxter

This show of might by indonesia is to me just a moral victory for its people the reason i say so is because indonesia lost Timor Leste in 1999, and in 2002, the International Court of Justice awarded Ligitan and Sipadan islands to Malaysia... two serious blows to its face as a country... and by showing their might in malaysians waters it would give some boost to their people and some credibility back to the TNI. To me sending out warships and fighters over this matter is seriously blowing it out of proportion... which is why malaysia is keeping its cool

Paxter said:
hey... isnt President Yudhoyono a former general and was in the army during the 60s confrontation with malaysia? hmm the only reason i can come up with for indonesia to be agressive towards malaysia is to some how create some patrotic mood within indonesia to cover up their economic woes... in other words blame it on malaysia...
You are wrong Paxter, Mr Yudhoyono was graduated from military academy in 1973,meanwhile the 'confontration' end in late '60s.This what i get from bbc site.

...........The man dubbed "the thinking general" was born in 1949 in East Java.

The son of a retired army lieutenant, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono graduated from Indonesia's military academy in 1973.

Two years later Indonesian security forces invaded East Timor. As he rose through the ranks, Mr Yudhoyono completed several tours of duty in the territory. By the time of East Timor's violent transition to independence in 1999, he had been promoted to Chief of Territorial Affairs.

As such he would have reported directly to Gen Wiranto, the former head of the armed forces who has now been indicted for war crimes by a special tribunal in East Timor.

But there has never been any attempt to bring charges against Mr Yudhoyono. His supporters say he was not part of the inner circle of military commanders accused of allowing the violence to spread. ...........................................( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3725301.stm )

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Paxter said:
hey... isnt President Yudhoyono a former general and was in the army during the 60s confrontation with malaysia? :coffee
Yudhoyono is regarded as one of the progressive moderates within AustGov. We have good relationships with Indonesia since he has assumed the role of President. He also is regarded as a military "clean skin" - ie no involvement with the unfortunate militia management issues in Timor Leste.

Malaysia has sent some more ship, Indonesian Marine Force in Sei Pancang Navy Post has identified a new ship but don't know the hull-number.Some rumour say that around 6 TLDM warship and 2 Polis Marine patrol ship has been deploy around Ambalat.
Any more information ?

In TV news, it said that malaysian ship around Ambalat now are KD Sebaung, KD Johor, KD Kotabaru (is right?), and two other ship witch i forget the name.Any information about the type of the ship, i mean it is Fregat,Corvette,or Patrol Ship?

Pendekar

Malaysia have yet to send anything bigger then the FAC. As far as i know there only 2 warships in the area. the others are just a support vessel. i don't know a mout the police patrol boat.

Pendekar, i've read in our newspaper that some commander of TLDM ship which patrol in Ambalat blok right now has trained in Indonesian Navy School of Command /Sekolah Komando Angkatan Laut (Seskoal).So its a kind of 'reunion' ;) with some commander of TNI-AL ship which also patrol in Ambalat right now. I read this in Indonesian newspaper, can you confirm that from your source?

Btw the built of lighthouse in Karang Unarang is completed 50% now.TNI-AL sent another elite unit,KOPASKA (Komando Pasukan Katak/Frogman Commando) to guard the worker.This unit was TNI-AL Under Water Demolition Team, began in 1950's this unit was trained by US Navy Under Water Demolition team.

RI claims stronger position in Ambalat negotiations

JAKARTA (JP): Minister of Defense Juwono Sudarsono claimed on Monday that Indonesia has a stronger position in negotiations with Malaysia over the Ambalat block in the Sulawesi sea.

"We have a stronger position in negotiations. Malaysia also admitted it," Juwono said after meeting with President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono at the State Palace.

However, he revealed the President had contacted Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and had agreed to avoid more warship collisions.

"Both leaders also agreed to avoid the 'words war' in the media," Juwono said.

Last week, warships from both countries collided with each other near the Ambalat block, but no serious damage resulted.

.................................................................................................................
Don't know what the name of Malaysian ship in the collision,the indonesian is KRI Tedong Naga,an KAL (Kapal Angkatan Laut)-35.It is a small patrol ship.Pendekar,do you know some info from malaysian newspaper about the collision?

Paxter

the malaysian ship that was involved was the marikh its an off shore patrol boat... i dont really classify that as a warship... from the article i got from my indonesian friends your countries media is obviously making this a big deal... form the article i got it said the marikh was seriously damaged and the indonesian ship had meerly a scratch .... hmmmmm anyway i hope both sides esp the indonesians stand down... i understand that this area of dispute has oil and currently indonesia is having a price hike in oil but even if the indonesian gov. take control of the area the oil extracted its is purely for export as the oil is high grade... and to add fuel to the fire malaysia just did a country wide kick out of illegal immigrants mainly indonesians.... but that has nothing got to do with the dispute since that happend a couple of weeks before the current conflict...

i dont believe both sides want war and another "konfrontasi" with malaysia will be unwise and a waste of resources...

Paxter said:
... but that has nothing got to do with the dispute since that happend a couple of weeks before the current conflict...

i dont believe both sides want war and another "konfrontasi" with malaysia will be unwise and a waste of resources...
Well,the built of lighthouse around ambalat area by indonesian was 90% now, and there were more malaysian ships patrol around the light house,before the collision.So maybe the collision has something about that.