Indian Army News and Discussion

Which Attack Helicopter Should Indian Army opt for

• Total voters

Tornedo

Banned Member
Re: indian army news and discussions

vedang said:
heard that arjunmk2 is going to be among the best in the world. any idea when it is coming out???by the way thanks for the link,found everything in it
Hi Arjun look like Western tank but i had heard it have so many problems and IA isnot happy with it and Indian government donot allow to produce it in mass. wat is this new one Arjun Mk2 never heard before?When it is going to be in user trails?

Berserk Fury

Looks very nice though the cost may be a problem.
And yes, I agree that radar system is quite ingenious.

Deeps_Terminato

IS Arjun's Second Prototype rolling out ? Arjun 1 was a monster and failed DRDO project.Plz GIve me link to ur article.

ThunderBolt

Re: Indian Ground Forces News and Discussion

Can someone give me a link to a site whice has all the specifications to Arjun tank.

BLACKDRONZER

Banned Member

aaaditya said:
indian army is to rapidly upgrade it army air wing with new helicopters.

Army in an overdrive, to buy 197 choppers

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Posted online: Sunday, September 04, 2005 at 1133 hours IST[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Updated: Sunday, September 04, 2005 at 1139 hours IST[/font]

New Delhi, September 4: In its major drive underway to modernise all arms--Infantry, Armour, Artillery and Mechanised units--army has finalised plans to expand its aviation wing with acquisition of 197 light helicopters as also to equip itself with light helicopter gunships for use in high-altitude areas.
Top officials said army was awaiting the nod from the government for rapid expansion of its air fleet, after making a strong case for having its own medium lift transport helicopters, assault choppers, anti-tank combat helicopters and for the first time, to have limited number of light fixed wing aircraft.

Army officials have lamented lack of close air support in counter-isurgency operations, high-altitude areas and during Kargil operations to press for expansion of its air arm. The contract for 197 light helicopters to replace its ageing fleet of Cheetahs and Chetaks is almost at the final stages with two major bidders, the Eurocopter and American Bell Textron completing their second and final round of summer trials in Jammu and Kashmir and Rajasthan.
The Army Aviation Corp proposes to buy 55 helicopters outright and the remaining 142-odd be built under licence at Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics in a deal estimated to be worth more 500 million US dollars.
http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=53930#compstory

well here are the contenders:
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/as555_fennec/
couldnt find info on bell407
i beleive all of them are capable of being used for anti tank roles.:coffee

well here is the info on bell407 it can carry hellfire missile while the fennec can carry the tow misssiles.

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/military/ARH/bellarh-72.pdf
hey guy's :smash ,
What about 'LOH' that hal is developing & what about 'ALH'

aaaditya

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BLACKDRONZER said:
hey guy's :smash ,
What about 'LOH' that hal is developing & what about 'ALH'
loh plan has been cancelled and will be replaced by these helo's (bell arh is supposed to be the favourite)they are intended to replace the chetaks and the cheetahs,currently indian army is acquiring 300 alh's,and is also planning to acquire 80 heavy attack helicopters(russian ka52 and the us apache longbow are in the race).
boeing recently stated that they would be oofering the longbow.

aaaditya

hey guys believe it or not ,india would be investing 1 billion dollars on the f-insas project. this news is supposed to have come in defence news.

The Indian Army plans to upgrade its infantry gear with money freed up by its June decision to continue a search for bidders for a $1 billion self-propelled artillery program.

Army officials sent their plan to the Defense Ministry in September, a senior Indian Army infantry planner said.

Army planners looked at foreign future infantry concepts, including the U.S. Land Warrior program, the U.K. Future Integrated Soldier Technology project, Israel’s Future Infantry Warrior and South Africa’s African Warrior.

The plan calls for a better 5.56-caliber assault rifle, helmet-mounted sight and observation gear, radio and data communications, load-carrying packs, and protection and sustainability gear.

The Army intends to float a global tender within three to four months for 50,000 rifles from defense firms in Germany, Israel, South Africa and the United States. Proposals must include technology transfer to allow the rifle design to be manufactured in India.

The rifle may include such electro-optical components as thermal sights, red-dot sights, holographic sights, still- and video-image cameras, laser rangefinder, digital compass and Global Positioning System (GPS) gear. Other equipment may provide digital maps and combat identification.

A fire-control computer will tie all of the systems together and allow the use of electronically timed, precision air-bursting ammunition. The rifle and its accessories will be mounted on a rugged polymer-based housing with an under-barrel grenade launcher.

The Army also will buy several thousand lightweight helmets with head-up displays for sensor data and other digitized information. New UHF radios will allow secure communication of voice, data, graphics and images with integrated GPS coordinates, so that the individual’s position is known at all times.

The new clothing will include ballistic protection and nuclear-biological-chemical protection, will minimize physical strain on the body, and be made of infrared-absorbing materials that can change colors to match the surroundings.
T
he new infantry gear must be designed to handle conditions in India, and the thrust should be on improvement in developing soldiers, said Mahindra Singh, a retired Indian Army major general.

though it is surprising that russia is not being considered.

ThunderBolt

What choices does India has for 5.56 assault rifles, what countries are willing to sell their weapons and what would india choose, personaly i think Insas is getting sort of old and so is AK's maybe except for the newer ones that are 5.56 and accurate and less bulky also water proff, they are called AKSU 74. What about some rifles from US, they might sell some M4's because soon they will probably be replaced by G36s.

aaaditya

ThunderBolt said:
What choices does India has for 5.56 assault rifles, what countries are willing to sell their weapons and what would india choose, personaly i think Insas is getting sort of old and so is AK's maybe except for the newer ones that are 5.56 and accurate and less bulky also water proff, they are called AKSU 74. What about some rifles from US, they might sell some M4's because soon they will probably be replaced by G36s.
india already has acquired 3000 tavors from israel for the special forces,so iam sure that they would be having operational experience on them and i would consider them as favourites,also the ofb has developed an upgraded version of insas(i dont know if it is excalibur or another version)but it is claimed to be fully ambidextrous.the total value of the f-insas project is worth 1 billion dollars so iam sure quite a few countries would be interested in providing their futuristic soldier concepts for the indian army.

BLACKDRONZER

Banned Member

aaaditya said:
india already has acquired 3000 tavors from israel for the special forces,so iam sure that they would be having operational experience on them and i would consider them as favourites,also the ofb has developed an upgraded version of insas(i dont know if it is excalibur or another version)but it is claimed to be fully ambidextrous.the total value of the f-insas project is worth 1 billion dollars so iam sure quite a few countries would be interested in providing their futuristic soldier concepts for the indian army.
hai,:)
aaditya thanks for your information.But,if what you have said is wright then what about project:rolleyes: 'LCH'.And one more thing, is india devoloping 3 aircrftcariers:confused: (www.globalsecurity.org). Also please give me some info about
latest devolopment in'MCA'project.

kingkobra

Banned Member

aaaditya said:
wat is F-Insas never heard before?wat other refile india is making or workin on any projects? i dont know why india dont produce helmets they still use old style helmets have look at any other asian country (china,koria,japan)and their soilder protection suite and their wepons they look great.

Cootamundra

kingkobra said:
wat is F-Insas never heard before?wat other refile india is making or workin on any projects? i dont know why india dont produce helmets they still use old style helmets have look at any other asian country (china,koria,japan)and their soilder protection suite and their wepons they look great.
Mate how's your written English going!? Admittedly better than my Hindi but come on...

aaaditya

kingkobra said:
1)f-insas stands for future indian soldier as a system.
it is an integrated soldier concept similiat to the us land warrior,german,israeli or south frican concepts.
2)besides the indigenous insas assault rifle(indian small arms as a system),india is also developing an advanced version of the insas known as the excalibur and a new ambidextrous assault rifle(dont know if it is variant of the insas).india also manufactures the belgian fn-fal slr and the a7(indigenised version of the ak47)
3)indian army troops mostly use the newer variants of the patkas(indian bullet proof helmets),they also use indigenous bullet proof vests.

aaaditya

BLACKDRONZER said:
hai,:)
aaditya thanks for your information.But,if what you have said is wright then what about project:rolleyes: 'LCH'.And one more thing, is india devoloping 3 aircrftcariers:confused: (www.globalsecurity.org). Also please give me some info about
latest devolopment in'MCA'project.
hi cant discuss mca on this thread as the forum moderators are already after my head.but all i can say is that it will be twin engined stealthy lca in the 18 ton class (design work reportedly completed)we can discuss it in the airforce thread.

manupubby

Army can now enter NBC zone safely

Posted online: Monday, November 14, 2005 at 0053 hours IST

PUNE, NOVEMBER 13: The Army is set to get its first armoured reconnaissance vehicle designed to enter nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) environment and bring back samples to gauge contamination.

The tracked NCB recce vehicle, based on the amphibious BMP II armoured personnel carrier, will be equipped to enter any hostile terrain to bring samples from the contaminated area to a mobile laboratory for analysis.

The indigenous vehicle, developed by Ahmednagar-based Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE) in collaboration with Pune-based Research and Development Establishment (Engineers) and three other Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) labs, will be a self-contained vehicle fitted with a robotic arm to scoop out soil and other samples and record air samples.

It will function in a ‘hood down’ sealed mode to ensure crew safety from nuclear radiation, chemical attacks and biological agents. Once the vehicle returns from the contaminated area, the samples will be transferred to a mobile laboratory (already developed by DRDO) to analyse the ‘threat level’.

http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=81942

Not too bad....comes close on the heels of the armoured engineer recce vehicle based on the BMP II which was handed over to the army earlier this month.

aaaditya

does it have any other role besides nuclear sample collection,i cant understand what difference it would make to the combat situation on the ground unless this vehicle has some kind of firepower.

manupubby

aaaditya said:
does it have any other role besides nuclear sample collection,i cant understand what difference it would make to the combat situation on the ground unless this vehicle has some kind of firepower.
The vehicle will most probably be protected by the 7.62 mm PKT machine gun and the standard smoke screen devices. The whole idea of the vehicle is to go in and check out if the area is fit for tanks or infantry to move in. As its an all terrain vehcile, it will be able to check out-- say if the punjab border has been attacked by chemical agents-- The extend of the attack and area of the NBC threat can be collected.

aaaditya

manupubby said:
The vehicle will most probably be protected by the 7.62 mm PKT machine gun and the standard smoke screen devices. The whole idea of the vehicle is to go in and check out if the area is fit for tanks or infantry to move in. As its an all terrain vehcile, it will be able to check out-- say if the punjab border has been attacked by chemical agents-- The extend of the attack and area of the NBC threat can be collected.
does this vehicle just collect samples or is it a full fledged field laboratory and containment system?
the machine gun seems to be highly inadequate.

manupubby

aaaditya said:
does this vehicle just collect samples or is it a full fledged field laboratory and containment system?
the machine gun seems to be highly inadequate.

The idea is not to go and fight in an NBC environment. We have the NBC protected T 90's and BMP II ICVs for that. The whole purpose is to determine the feasibility of sending in ground troops. Its like a reccee vehicle to determine how hostile the area is....There is no field lab in it yet but the samlples can be brought to the nearest wheeled lab (which drdo also has). The machine gun is only for basic self defence.

P.A.F

http://www.dawn.com/2005/11/19/top14.htm

India holds war-games near border

POKHRAN (India), Nov 18: India’s military on Friday staged a grand finale to major military manoeuvres, showcasing newly-acquired T-90 battle tanks and warplanes close to the border with Pakistan in the Thar desert The Indian military said New Delhi gave advance notice of the 14-day exercises codenamed “Operation Desert Strike†to neighbouring Pakistan in line with a pact between the nuclear-armed neighbours, who are engaged in a slow-moving peace process to end their decades-old feud over Kashmir.

“Such exercises show our capability and ability,†said Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee. He said, however, the war games were not designed to intimidate India’s neighbours.

“India does not have any territorial designs...all our capabilities are just aimed at protecting our interests,†Mukherjee said as supersonic jets dived in mock attacks.

Officials said the exercise was the biggest since the 1987 Operation Brass Tacks in the desert state of Rajasthan which sent tensions skyrocketing between India and Pakistan.

Forty-two observers and diplomats from 30 countries including Bangladesh, Britain, China, France and the United States were at the war games in Pokhran.

“We welcome such observers,†the defence minister said.

The army chief General J.J. Singh said Beijing had invited New Delhi and Moscow to send observers to recent Chinese exercises. Ties between India and China, which fought a border war four decades ago, have warmed in recent years.

“Our men also went to China and so we invited them as we are just showing our capabilities and we hope there will be better cooperation in the future,†Singh, head of India’s 1.4-million strong army, told reporters in Pokhran.

The latest exercises were staged in the vicinity of India’s nuclear testing site, where New Delhi carried out nuclear tests in May 1998.

Friday’s finale came a day after the Indian Air Force wound up joint 12-day exercises with the US Air Force in Marxist-ruled West Bengal state.

The Indian Air Force, the world’s fourth largest, said it deployed its French-made Mirage-2000, Russian MiG-27s and MiG-21s and British-designed Jaguar warplanes along with attack helicopters and drones in the Thar exercise.—AFP