Identifying friendlies through thermals

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a tripod/truck mounted piece of equipment, a typical white hot black hot thermal. The only downside to it is your going to lose a weapon system on that truck. It was probably the most powerful device I've ever laid my hands on. There are pics of it on the net, Raytheon makes it.
We don't get stuff that nice. :/ Sounds pretty nice, but also pretty specialized. If it's that large, you'd have to give up something to else, to carry that thing around.

Beastmode

Banned Member
We don't get stuff that nice. :/ Sounds pretty nice, but also pretty specialized. If it's that large, you'd have to give up something to else, to carry that thing around.
Right, I'm assuming that might help fill in the blanks. The people filling the role of recon have the hardware and capabilities to do it. When the brigade moves there are people in the know pulling screening operations. It is a 19D piece of equipment, tailored to them. Pvs-14s are just a weapons sight. :)

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Just to put the topic back on track, the OP was discussing infantry use of thermals. There are a number of mounted systems, but they aren't available for use by dismounts. Threat ID using FLIR can get complicated, because FLIR has it's own limitations and the quality of the image is dependent upon environmental conditions. That said, FLIR and light amplification devices (NVG's) are excellent tools but they do have limitations.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to put the topic back on track, the OP was discussing infantry use of thermals. There are a number of mounted systems, but they aren't available for use by dismounts. Threat ID using FLIR can get complicated, because FLIR has it's own limitations and the quality of the image is dependent upon environmental conditions. That said, FLIR and light amplification devices (NVG's) are excellent tools but they do have limitations.
Yes, speaking of infantry thermals, I saw (for the first time) a few riflemen (0311s) in our company with 13Ds issued to them. I think it was something like one per platoon. Of course the RCOs weren't removed from the rifles, and we're not supposed to remove them ourselves, so the 13Ds were attached to the side rails. I don't know how much use they got out of them.