How powerful is a US Destroyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottn

BOOLAG WAKE UP!!!:wah
Am I correct in assuming that the technology has advanced so far on the past 25 years, that the thinly spread British destroyer's experience is not relevant for the "world conquering destroyer scenario"?:nutkick

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
"An AB can sink most small fleets of the world singlehandedly. She can even take out a CBG within 80nm with her full CAG. She can run out of TASSMs, say shot down by phalanx, and close to within 60nm and engage with guns (Flight IIA). "

Whoa there Big E.

With all due respect as I understand your Lt. in the USN.

But the conjectures in the above statement dont make much sense and from what I know is factually wholly untrue.

Maybe you would like to clarify your statement and fix its factual errors?

Sure, I was working on a scenerio but I think it would be better if you give me one of a certain force and I'll tell you how the DDG-81+ would deal with it.:D

What scenario?

I reiterate your original post is not valid in any way shape or form.

For crying out loud what is going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:

tphuang

Super Moderator
I love these scenarios
How about a tougher scenario ?
Let's say your Burke Flight II DDG is north-east of Taiwan, close to the small islands that Taiwan, Japan, and China all claim, mostly because there's oil below. The Chinese Navy almost always has several ships and subs deployed around the areas for "flag-waving" purposes. Your DDG is facing 2 Sovremenny and 2 of the newer Chinese DDGs, all of them with the extended range Sunburn supersonic SSM, plus 4 improved Kilos SSKs equipped with Yakhont cruise missile. An air patrol of a dozen SU-30s armed with the air-launched version of the Uran is in the sky
please do a little research on this, but the point is that most of the newer Chinese DDGs use YJ-62 or YJ-83 and there is plenty of speculation that the terminal phase of both missiles are supersonic. The kilos are equipped with the club missile. The su-30s are equipped with KH-59/KH-31/YJ-91
Big-E said:
See here's what happened, I gave myself a Taiwan AWACS BTW. The SU-30s came in 3 waves of four from the North West, I was able to shoot them down before they got within 130km to launch the Kh-35s.
As I said, su-30s do not fire kh-35. su-30 is equipped with the 285 km kh-59mk, the shorter ranged kh-59me or the 110 km ranged KH-31A. Also, any kind of concentrated attack launched by PLAN would involve JH-7 imo. You are most likely looking at 6 JH-7 (2 dadui) at a time, capable of firing 4 YJ-83s each. They are sea skimming missiles that can be fired from 250 KM out, so they should be capable of launching concentrated air attacks outside of the air defense envelopes. Another one would be H-6, you are looking at 6+ H-6 launching 4+ YJ-83s each or 2+ YJ-63 each.

You are also likely facing around 40 type 22s in the surrounding area at the time. Each type 22 houses 8 YJ-83s. It's doubtful that PLAN can coordinate an attack that launches 320 YJ-83s at the same time from the type 22 or even half of that. But, you are likely to see some coming out of the type 22s. And they will be facing them repeatedly.
That took 13 SM-2(IIIB)s at the same time two Kilos were launching missiles at 30kms out, These came in real fast and close but they were launched in pairs not all at once so Churchill had time to react. Then the Sovs Sunburns opened up from the West at 90nm but this SAG was already engaged with Tomahawks.
hmm, the improved sunburns have a range of 240 KM not 90nm.
I moded 2 Luhas with Grumble launchers with a 6 target engagement capability. The Sunburns from the PLAN SAG of 4 destroyers was far enough away to engage in a timely fashion using up about 20 Standards. My 40 Tomahawks (10 per destroyer) had been reduced to 12 by the time they got thru the PLAN AEGIS, the Grumbles aren't that great at sea-skimmers, the Sovremmeny SA-7s didn't do half bad. But still 3 Ts on each ship left for their guns to knock out, the Sovs both knocked out a T-hawk but took 2 hits apiece that sent them to the bottom. The moded Luhas took all 3 hits apiece and went to the bottom. I still had two more Kilos with full weapons loadouts and two more with torpedoes. I was out of target acquisition with all the PLAN surface radars gone and the Kilos were blind as bats. Sent the SH-60s over the last location of the missile launches and sank the two that fired on me. We pulled out the towed sonar array and started sweeping for the other two. I searched for an hour before I called it quits, I moded the Kilos to be REAL quiet. The simualtion had multi directional ASM atacks but they were not fired all at once and in combat they probably wouldn't be directed that well anyway so I think this simulation is somewhat close to reality, and thats if these PLAN AEGIS work!
And what gave you the impression that 052C uses grumble? There is really no indication what the concurrently engagement capabilities are on HQ-9A at the moment. If I were to speculate, it would be somewhere between the numbers of PMU1 and PMU2. The sovs are using 9M317, each sovs are installed with 6 orekh radar, meaning the capability to engage 12 targets simultaneously (although not in actual practice, due to the fact that missiles can be coming from different directions). And you are saying that the guns on 052C can't handle a single one out of the 3 grumbles? I'm not sure about that. 2 type 730 is said to be more capable than 4 AK-630s on earlier sovs although less capable than the 2 kashtan on the later sovs. In which case, you are facing not just the guns, but also the missiles of the kashtan.

Status
Not open for further replies.