How effective are modern radar systems at detecting low-RCS targets?

mAIOR

Interesting scenario and I'm aware of those limitations.
Still, you're also assuming that an S-400 will just stay put emitting all the time. A proper IADS will have other assets working in junction with the S-400 that serve as some sort of early warning. Even if it is just a guy with a pair of binoculars or someone working near an airfield where flights take off, calling someone on the targeted country giving a heads up. I believe that a properly layered IADS is a very tough nut to crack. With airpower alone it might not even be possible to crack it due to the mobility and ease of camouflage of some of it's assets (granted, an S-400 is mobile only to some extent but there are other smaller highly efficient systems which could work as aids. Not to mention the use of decoys). The Bosnia conflict displaied such paradigm since the Allies spent tons of bombs to little effect. Granted, they didn't manage to down a lot of aircraft but, their technology was not top notch and that wasn't their main objective at the time. Their main objective was to continue with the ethnic cleansing of the Kosovar people and they did continue to do that pretty much unopposed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for LO, VLO platforms and the extra capabilities that they'll bring into play when tackling such targets but, I don't think that without proper integration with other assets, they can achieve all alone the destruction of a modern IADS. Heck, if the ingress route is compromised, at such low altitudes, assets like the Shilka and manpads could pretty much spell the end of any incursion of the type.

The example I gave was in optimal conditions and was more on the Physics example side of the equation. You know, Physicists like to work in airless, frictionless environments and everything has spherical symmetry. :D
It was merely a conclusion I arrived that I never thought of before in that the use of LO platforms will increase the cost to acquire an effective IADS.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Interesting scenario and I'm aware of those limitations.
Still, you're also assuming that an S-400 will just stay put emitting all the time. A proper IADS will have other assets working in junction with the S-400 that serve as some sort of early warning. Even if it is just a guy with a pair of binoculars or someone working near an airfield where flights take off, calling someone on the targeted country giving a heads up. I believe that a properly layered IADS is a very tough nut to crack. With airpower alone it might not even be possible to crack it due to the mobility and ease of camouflage of some of it's assets (granted, an S-400 is mobile only to some extent but there are other smaller highly efficient systems which could work as aids. Not to mention the use of decoys). The Bosnia conflict displaied such paradigm since the Allies spent tons of bombs to little effect. Granted, they didn't manage to down a lot of aircraft but, their technology was not top notch and that wasn't their main objective at the time. Their main objective was to continue with the ethnic cleansing of the Kosovar people and they did continue to do that pretty much unopposed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for LO, VLO platforms and the extra capabilities that they'll bring into play when tackling such targets but, I don't think that without proper integration with other assets, they can achieve all alone the destruction of a modern IADS. Heck, if the ingress route is compromised, at such low altitudes, assets like the Shilka and manpads could pretty much spell the end of any incursion of the type.

The example I gave was in optimal conditions and was more on the Physics example side of the equation. You know, Physicists like to work in airless, frictionless environments and everything has spherical symmetry. :D
It was merely a conclusion I arrived that I never thought of before in that the use of LO platforms will increase the cost to acquire an effective IADS.
There is a difference between an effective IADS and the use of dummy or decoy targets. If the IADS is effective, then the ability to strike targets is severely restricted if not eliminated altogether. The use of target dummies is to fool the strike package into targeting a decoy instead of the actual mission objective. Unfortunately the use of dummies does not work especially well for stationary or strategic targets.

As for IADS being difficult or impossible to overcome... That does not really measure up with the history of air campaigns over the last couple of decades.

The use of the proper weapons and munitions at the proper place, can overcome essentially any ground-based IADS. The attacker has the mobility and thus the advantage, being able to choose when, where and how to engage the defender, thereby dictating the terms of the engagement.

Now back to the example of the S-400... Such systems are generally for theatre-level air defence, with long-ranged SAM's and volume air search radars. If they are left off, they could become more difficult to detect and target by attacking aircraft. However, by leaving the systems off, the defending force is conceding broad area SA for airborne contacts to the attacker unless the defender has a different system which can provide volume air search.

As for the notion of having someone positioned on the outskirts of an enemy airbase calling or radioing in reports of when aircraft are taking off... That is more an intel vs. IADS function, since the person providing the intel can provide a where, when, and perhaps what, but cannot reliably provide a heading, ETA, or realistically anything which could be used to vector assets to engage. Also, the ability to having someone observing such a base is questionable. A good example of what I mean would be during the air campaign over Kosovo in '99. USAF B-2 bombers where conducting strike missions from air bases in the middle of the US.

Now the use of MANPADS and/or AAA/trashfire can bring down some low altitude aircraft or munitions, but in addition to the limited range of such systems, their respective detection ranges are similarly limited. Using something like a Strela, the max engagement range of those are ~4 km, and depending on the flight profile, the operator might only have a window of a few sections to attempt to engage. This is part of the reason why MANPADS so far have proven fair more successful against prop and rotary aircraft, or around the flightways of airports and air fields.

While this has been brought up before, look at the differences in doctrine and equipment between NATO & allied countries vs. former Soviet bloc nations. The latter tends towards a much greater involvement of GBAD sensors and systems, while the former tends towards having most things airborne.

What LO systems tend to do, is reduce the effectiveness and efficiency of existing sensor systems (ground or air-based) therefore reducing the time available to react.

-Cheers

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about them?

Kolchuga is a distributed ground-based ESM system which is dependent on RF emissions from a source being detected by multiple receiver systems. Given the limits imposed on any ground-based system (curvature of the earth, etc) and the fact that EMCON reduces what is available for Kolchuga to even try and detect... more seems to be getting made about it than is really warranted.

As for the radar systems in an S-400 unit, they also run into limitations by being ground-based. More powerful antennae and processors can help boost the radar range and ability to 'see' through clutter, but the advantages still remain with LO aircraft.

-Cheers
Wouldn't it be a simple question of density then? More ISR nodes = easier detection and more reliable tracking.

Not quite.

A strike package can use some assistance from other assets (ISR, EW, etc) but with a properly mapped out route to the target, the need for integration from other assets is reduced.
You're assuming a major intel advantage on the part of the aggressor, and fairly passive behavior on the part of the defender. While it's true that this has been the case in fact, it does not mean that it is the case by necessity, rather it was incidental to the conflicts in question. Since we're discussing the S-400, I'm going to use the Russian Air-Space defense forces as our example.

A GBAD system however needs to have a significant amount of integration and cross communication to attempt to track and engage an inbound strike package. Especially if that package is LO and/or uses standoff munitions.
But it would also be a lot easier for them to integrated into a network, by design, and by virtue of operating in a prepared defense manner.

A good example of what I mean relates to the use of LACM's. Something like a TacTom flying at ~15 m cannot be detected by a radar array with a 10 m antennae until the TacTom is only ~29 km out. Depending on any irregular and/or intervening terrain features (ridges, hills, trees, etc.) the actual accuracy of the radar and processors, and the skill of the operators, that range can be further reduced.

Assuming the S-400 system was the target (which it could be, being a theatre-level SAM system) the S-400 would have at maximum ~2 minutes to detect, engage and destroy the inbound TacTom, before the S-400 would get damaged, disabled, or destroyed.
Assuming it's not protected by tactical air defense assets (for example Pantsyr or Tor type systems specifically designed to deal with cruise missiles). And assuming the S-400 is even active. The only thing active could be several powerful long-range airspace control radars, and an AEW (A-50U). They feed their data directly to Air-Space Defense Brigade HQ, which then instructs certain S-400 systems to light up and try to intercept the inbounds. The aggressor shouldn't even know the S-400 is there.

I don't know specifics on the S-400 radar capabilities but I do recall reading that they were specifically capable of intercepting cruise missiles, and iirc an S-300 variant could engage targets as low as ~10m off the ground.

The only way to increase that 2 minute window would be to have radar systems positioned to allow detection further way than 29 km. Use of additional S-400 systems would not really help, because they still would only have a detection range of ~29 km give a TacTom's flight profile, and they would also be subject to being targeted.
Assuming they're using their own search radars, yes.

Now if one were to consider the application of deploying a newer generation of standoff munition where efforts have been made to reduce the RCS and munition signature like Scalp, Storm Shadow, JSOW, JASSM, etc... Then the radar operators will have even more difficulty in detecting the munitions so that attempts can be made to engage them.
You don't think a Pantsyr picket, could effectively intercept these? Remember the cold to hot time for these systems is tiny. The Pantsyr in particular is supposed to be able to engage targets without having to actually stop and deploy. There's some question about it's ability to do so reliably on the current chassis (stability issues) but it has proven the capability on the MAN chassis it was delivered on to the Arabs. They could use electro-optical sensors to track the inbound, and fire on the target without even having to properly set up the system. Again the aggressor would never know they were there, until they fired.

There is another aspect of this that we're ignoring (I'm not sure whether intentional for the sake of simplicity or just hasn't come up) but the defender can also use EW and EA assets as well as decoys against the attacker. For example our hypothetical air-space defense brigade could be working together with a EW brigade, using stuff like the SPN-30 and SPN-40 to degrade the ability of the inbound aircraft to effectively target whatever it is they're trying to hit. Also the latest generation of decoys involves mimicking the thermal signature, and other emissions, of what it's intended to represent.

So while the real theater SAM is cold, standing by, receiving data from a search radar, the decoy is hot, and attracting attention. The hypothetical strike package might well be headed for the decoy.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Wouldn't it be a simple question of density then? More ISR nodes = easier detection and more reliable tracking.
Not quite sure what you are referring to by more ISR nodes. Do you mean more positions with Kolchuga arrays, or more S-400 or other supporting radar arrays?

You're assuming a major intel advantage on the part of the aggressor, and fairly passive behavior on the part of the defender. While it's true that this has been the case in fact, it does not mean that it is the case by necessity, rather it was incidental to the conflicts in question. Since we're discussing the S-400, I'm going to use the Russian Air-Space defense forces as our example.
In part, but not entirely. If one looks at who the operators of 5th gen fighters are and/or will be this decade, it is a number of NATO nations and important allies like Israel, Japan, Australia and Singapore. All of whom have advanced intel and/or EW capabilities and ISR assets.

The other thing to keep in mind is the sort of initial targets in any sort of air campaign or IADS rollback. These are command/comms facilities, sensor arrays, air bases, power stations and distribution points, and transportationi hubs and chokepoints. These sorts of targets are not exactly hard to find, and they get hit, the defender's ability to react is going to keep diminishing.

Assuming it's not protected by tactical air defense assets (for example Pantsyr or Tor type systems specifically designed to deal with cruise missiles). And assuming the S-400 is even active. The only thing active could be several powerful long-range airspace control radars, and an AEW (A-50U). They feed their data directly to Air-Space Defense Brigade HQ, which then instructs certain S-400 systems to light up and try to intercept the inbounds. The aggressor shouldn't even know the S-400 is there.

I don't know specifics on the S-400 radar capabilities but I do recall reading that they were specifically capable of intercepting cruise missiles, and iirc an S-300 variant could engage targets as low as ~10m off the ground.
Part of what I was going on about was one of the fundamental limitations of ground-based radar systems. Inclusion of some sort of AEW system which can be datalinked to other assets is a bit different. I am not sure though whether Russian kit is advanced and integrated sufficiently so that an A-50 can feed targeting data direct to an S-400 missile, or if the A-50 can feed targeting data to the S-400 which can in turn update the missile(s). Potentially the worst case scenario is where the A-50 can only be used to queue the S-400 of inbound contacts, and the S-400 then needs to 'look' itself for targets to engage.

Relating to that, the real issue with the flight altitude of a cruise missile has to do with at what distance the curvature of the earth no longer masks the presence of the cruise missile.

You don't think a Pantsyr picket, could effectively intercept these? Remember the cold to hot time for these systems is tiny. The Pantsyr in particular is supposed to be able to engage targets without having to actually stop and deploy. There's some question about it's ability to do so reliably on the current chassis (stability issues) but it has proven the capability on the MAN chassis it was delivered on to the Arabs. They could use electro-optical sensors to track the inbound, and fire on the target without even having to properly set up the system. Again the aggressor would never know they were there, until they fired.
Hard to say for certain since the 'real' capabilities of both the attacking and defending systems are not known. However, I have come across a reference which suggests Pantsyr having a tracking capability out to ~28 km for targets which are 2 m sq. Given that the RCS of something like the F-35 is supposed to be around 0.0015 m sq. then Pantsyr might not be able to provide any sort of early queuing or engagement except possibly if optically sighted. Against inbound cruise missiles, that would have a larger RCS I would imagine, though the LO feature of JASSM might give it a similar RCS. What this suggests is that the the Pantsyr crew would likely only have a few seconds to engage an inbound strike (LO aircraft or cruise missile) and that is if the crew had some kind of warning and vector for the inbound.

Again, low flighting air defence targets (strike aircraft or cruise missiles) are going to be shielded from the Pantsyr's radar by the curvature of the earth until within ~24 km, and that is assuming that the Pantsyr is located in a broad, flat area.

There is another aspect of this that we're ignoring (I'm not sure whether intentional for the sake of simplicity or just hasn't come up) but the defender can also use EW and EA assets as well as decoys against the attacker. For example our hypothetical air-space defense brigade could be working together with a EW brigade, using stuff like the SPN-30 and SPN-40 to degrade the ability of the inbound aircraft to effectively target whatever it is they're trying to hit. Also the latest generation of decoys involves mimicking the thermal signature, and other emissions, of what it's intended to represent.
Actually I was largely ignoring it. Decoy vehicles as I have mentioned can be used, but the initial targets are largely unable to be decoyed, since they would be things like fixed radar stations, power plants, transformer farms, transmission substations, bridges, road/rail hubs, and command/comms buildings and airfields. An S-400 could be a significant target as well, because of the large area which it's radar systems can monitor, but in doing so it gives away its position.

As for the actual effectiveness of decoys, they have proven effective in prior conflicts. However, I suspect their effectiveness is going to diminish due to the advances made in weapons. Even with some decoys now able to generate a thermal signature, munitions are being fitted with sensors like radar which can scan a target and make a determination whether the target is soft or hard-skinned, and then the muntion can select which target to actually strike. The Brimstone missile is an example of this capability. I some how suspect the radar return off a decoy (many decoys are inflatable) would be different than that of an actually vehicle.

So while the real theater SAM is cold, standing by, receiving data from a search radar, the decoy is hot, and attracting attention. The hypothetical strike package might well be headed for the decoy.
Again not likely. Amongst the earliest objectives of the air campaign would be to take out the search radar, which means that the strike package would be heading to the point of origin for the search radar signals. It would then become a question of just how close the strike package and any standoff munitions can get before (or if) getting detected, what assets the defender would have in position to response, and how much time available for the response.

-Cheers

STURM

As for the actual effectiveness of decoys, they have proven effective in prior conflicts. -Cheers
Locally made radar active decoys were used by the Serbs in 1999 and reportedly came in very handy. I have no idea, whether similar decoys are in use in other countries and how effective they really are.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Locally made radar active decoys were used by the Serbs in 1999 and reportedly came in very handy. I have no idea, whether similar decoys are in use in other countries and how effective they really are.
True, and such decoys would be used to spoof ARM's, while inflatable tanks, trucks and vehicles would be used (perhaps with a thermal or IR source) to spoof EO and visual targeting.

Where things can now begin to break down is the ability to use radar to scan ground targets and determine based off the returns whether a target is a soft-skinned vehicle, an armoured vehicle, or something not really there.

In the past, some of the decoys were constructed using pipes and wooden frames and boards. If something like a Brimstone missile scanned such a decoy next to a real AFV, the Brimstone would reject the decoy because the radar returns would not match the profile of an AFV.

While decoys have gotten more sophisticated (and expensive, some are now $20,000+) so too are the targeting sensors which are now better able to detect and determine if a given target is 'legitimate' or not.

-Cheers

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not quite sure what you are referring to by more ISR nodes. Do you mean more positions with Kolchuga arrays, or more S-400 or other supporting radar arrays?
Kolchuga.

In part, but not entirely. If one looks at who the operators of 5th gen fighters are and/or will be this decade, it is a number of NATO nations and important allies like Israel, Japan, Australia and Singapore. All of whom have advanced intel and/or EW capabilities and ISR assets.
Sure. But that's incidental. This entire thread is based around an assessment of hypothetical capabilities, not a real situation. The reality is that GBAD-centric IADS (with the possible exceptions of Russia and China) are used by weaker states, to make up for their inability to dominate the air. So yes, in reality it will almost always be the case that someone performing SEAD/DEAD operations will have a major advantage in EW and ISR. However to hypothetically asses the ability of modern GBAD against an aggressor we need to isolate and de-contextualize. The conclusion this thread warrants (imo) is a theoretical rather then a practical one.

The other thing to keep in mind is the sort of initial targets in any sort of air campaign or IADS rollback. These are command/comms facilities, sensor arrays, air bases, power stations and distribution points, and transportationi hubs and chokepoints. These sorts of targets are not exactly hard to find, and they get hit, the defender's ability to react is going to keep diminishing.
True, but lets say we're talking about day 1. Nothing has been hit yet.

Part of what I was going on about was one of the fundamental limitations of ground-based radar systems. Inclusion of some sort of AEW system which can be datalinked to other assets is a bit different. I am not sure though whether Russian kit is advanced and integrated sufficiently so that an A-50 can feed targeting data direct to an S-400 missile, or if the A-50 can feed targeting data to the S-400 which can in turn update the missile(s). Potentially the worst case scenario is where the A-50 can only be used to queue the S-400 of inbound contacts, and the S-400 then needs to 'look' itself for targets to engage.
Purely hypothetically the A-50U should have the ability to transmit targeting data to an S-400, which would need to update the missile. I'm not sure whether the A-50U can actually direct the missile itself. The bigger problem of course is whether they've practiced doing this, and whether the operators and confident/comfortable enough to do this in a combat situation. Realistically that would be the weak link for the VVS/PVO forces in this scenario (remember only 2 serial A-50U have been delivered, and ~10 serial S-400 btlns, they haven't had much chance to intersect).

Relating to that, the real issue with the flight altitude of a cruise missile has to do with at what distance the curvature of the earth no longer masks the presence of the cruise missile.
Hence an airborne ISR node would solve the problem, if I understand correctly.

Hard to say for certain since the 'real' capabilities of both the attacking and defending systems are not known. However, I have come across a reference which suggests Pantsyr having a tracking capability out to ~28 km for targets which are 2 m sq. Given that the RCS of something like the F-35 is supposed to be around 0.0015 m sq. then Pantsyr might not be able to provide any sort of early queuing or engagement except possibly if optically sighted. Against inbound cruise missiles, that would have a larger RCS I would imagine, though the LO feature of JASSM might give it a similar RCS. What this suggests is that the the Pantsyr crew would likely only have a few seconds to engage an inbound strike (LO aircraft or cruise missile) and that is if the crew had some kind of warning and vector for the inbound.

Again, low flighting air defence targets (strike aircraft or cruise missiles) are going to be shielded from the Pantsyr's radar by the curvature of the earth until within ~24 km, and that is assuming that the Pantsyr is located in a broad, flat area.
Ok, this makes sense. It would be helpful if we got more info on what they did with the Pantsyr prototype at Kapustin Yar. So far all I know for certain is that it was able to intercept a long-range cruise missile, launched from a Tu-95MS (presumably the Kh-55), with some advance warning. Definitely not an LO target. But with multiple Pantsyrs (batteries of iirc 10) attempting to engage, their chances improve.

Actually I was largely ignoring it. Decoy vehicles as I have mentioned can be used, but the initial targets are largely unable to be decoyed, since they would be things like fixed radar stations, power plants, transformer farms, transmission substations, bridges, road/rail hubs, and command/comms buildings and airfields. An S-400 could be a significant target as well, because of the large area which it's radar systems can monitor, but in doing so it gives away its position.
I was talking specifically about S-400 decoys, as well as decoys simulating command vehicles for Air-Space Defense Bdes (think MT-LB chassis, with the tall superstructure). The C4I nodes for the Russian Army would be almost entirely mobile (this concept is borrowed straight from the Soviet Army where an HQ disappears among the mass of similar troops, making it next to impossible to ID). The solution of course would be ELINT assets using enemy comms to locate HQs, but this is far from guaranteed unless we assume an ELINT advantage on the part of the attacker. The military search radars would not be fixed, unless we're talking about the giant BMD early warning arrays, or the Don-2M pyramid. They'd be stuff like the P-19. They would be easy to detect because they'd be actively scanning.

As for the actual effectiveness of decoys, they have proven effective in prior conflicts. However, I suspect their effectiveness is going to diminish due to the advances made in weapons. Even with some decoys now able to generate a thermal signature, munitions are being fitted with sensors like radar which can scan a target and make a determination whether the target is soft or hard-skinned, and then the muntion can select which target to actually strike. The Brimstone missile is an example of this capability. I some how suspect the radar return off a decoy (many decoys are inflatable) would be different than that of an actually vehicle.
True. The question is whether similar advances will be made in decoys. The Russian Army played with the concept of using actual decommissioned vehicles as decoys, but tossed it as being too complicated/expensive. The main problem was that an engineer unit could only transport and deploy a small number of those, where as when it comes to inflatables, they can carry a huge supply.

But at this point the question becomes, can all munitions be fitted with these sensors? Because the more you put on the missile, the more expensive the missile becomes. Given that stockpiles of PGMs are relatively small, in a major conflict against a peer power you'd either run the risk of running out, or you'd have to select in what cases you want to commit those kinds of resources. The main purpose of decoys, as I understand it, is three-fold. One is to draw out the aggressor into revealing his own capabilities and patterns of planning, the second is to allow the defender to do physical damage to them, and the third is to waste the attackers resources (for example in the sense that his op-tempo permits X sorties a day, if only Y are flown against real targets, then that's an X-Y= loss of effective op-tempo).

Finally lets say the strike package does fire a Brimstone at a decoy target. The missile scans and determines that the decoy is a decoy. Now what? Assuming the real target isn't sitting 10m to the left of the decoy, can the tactical aircraft that launched the missile find and identify the real target quickly enough? Can a Brimstone fly circles (loiter) while the F-35 (I'm assuming this is our aggressor) tries to locate an alternate target? And would this increase the risk of defenders other units being able to successfully intercept the aggressor?

Again, just to clarify, this is extremely hypothetical. Your original point was completely correct, the real world operators of these systems will have the necessary advantage in kit, intel, and resources, to overcome all of these objections.

Again not likely. Amongst the earliest objectives of the air campaign would be to take out the search radar, which means that the strike package would be heading to the point of origin for the search radar signals. It would then become a question of just how close the strike package and any standoff munitions can get before (or if) getting detected, what assets the defender would have in position to response, and how much time available for the response.

mAIOR

RADAR and IR decoys were widely used by the Serbs. Including simple stuff as metal tanks filled with water that accumulated heat during the day and at night, released it giving it a tank like signature. Pretty impressive.

While your first paragraph is true, an attacking nation needs to rely more on those assets than a defending nation since it's the one putting assets in the area. The defending side always has a slight advantage there.

Your second paragraph while it does illustrate the main targets on a strike package against a modern IADS, I'm not sure if these are the main nodes of a modern IADS. And if the logistical capabilities do suffer such an impact. Again, in Serbia, the Serbian army kept going unopposed and it's defence systems pretty much intact even though all said installations were decommissioned. Also, with modern theatre level SAM systems, the striking aircraft if intercepted can be engaged by assets far away increasing the level of danger to such assets. Also, mobile AA reserves seem the way to go. At least from what I learned so far they seem a pretty handy trick to bring short and medium range assets to bear really fast. All in all, I just don't think a modern IADS will just stay put and take it so to speak.

Ground assets are more limited than air assets, sure. However, discounting the fact that they can be placed in local high ground, they're also usually cheaper and have lower operational costs. The earth curvature Horizon is about d = 3.57*(sqrt(hobs)+sqrt(hobj)) discounting any atmospheric errors. So it varies quite a lot with height. hobs is oberver height and hobj is object height in meters and the horizon d is in Km.

Basically, a 2 meter antenna at sea level would be able to see roughly 5 km around it. If the cruise missile is at 30Km height, then the observer would be able to spot it 623 Km away.

Pretty good range

And again, not assuming that higher ground is used. If they place Pantsyr at a hill 100 meters high, the horizon would be different. Around 47 Km.

Depends, In Servia (once again) They used tank hulks, heaters, water containers to give it an RCS and a heat signature. There was one particular hulk that was hit over 10 times. This is low tech decoys. And they were pretty effective considering the total tally.

The more critical fixed targets would surely be well protected and replacements for comms using UAVs are very possible. A friend of mine out of fun, attached a wireless router to a 300€ UAV. He would then use it as a means to boost internet signals around him. He also plans on using a 3G wireless board to navigate it through the position of cellphone antennae (and using a cellphone sim card to send and receive information). This is also something I'm researching on atm as a possible Phd path (UAV orientation and sensor fusion). With military applications, I imagine a low RCS blimp 20 or 30 Km high could be a good comms backup provider.

-Cheers
well, I think that once more a lot of "static" behaviour is being expected by the defending side. How do you know that the emitter is not part of a web of sensors placed around it? Optical, ELINT, RADAR, LIDAR (why not?) and whatever more the other side can think off. I'm not an expert but your descriptions seem to take into account only defence systems like the ones of Iraq or other nations with low education. I mentioned Serbia many times since even though their technology was not superior to the Iraqi one, they did manage quite better than the Iraqis due to several factors. The most important one in my personal opinion was doctrine. How they used them. Sure, coalition forces did not suffer catastrophic casualties (only a couple in fact) however, they were not particularly successful either. The fact that the AA assets was always present was enough to prevent some proper employment of assets in some cases. If one remembers right, when A-10s were searching for the downed F-117 pilot, when being locked by RADARS, they announced Magnum on the comms (comms were compromised) a couple of times just to scare the Serbian AA off (which worked).

this is just my 2cts. And I'm no professional. Just calling it as I see it.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more critical fixed targets would surely be well protected and replacements for comms using UAVs are very possible. A friend of mine out of fun, attached a wireless router to a 300€ UAV. He would then use it as a means to boost internet signals around him. He also plans on using a 3G wireless board to navigate it through the position of cellphone antennae (and using a cellphone sim card to send and receive information). This is also something I'm researching on atm as a possible Phd path (UAV orientation and sensor fusion). With military applications, I imagine a low RCS blimp 20 or 30 Km high could be a good comms backup provider.
True, and while the Russian Army is experimenting with UAVs as comms carriers, it's a long way from being in mass serial service. I don't know what the situation is like in China, but I doubt they're that much further along. While this may be the way things will go in the future, it's not the way they are today.

mAIOR

Of course. But we're discussing modern day applications and I count the near future with them. Many relevant technological and science innovations are achieved by putting a+b together. de Broglie is an extreme example on how someone won a Nobel prize for physics by combining two known formulas. This is the case with UAVs nowadays. I believe the tech for many things is already there. It's just a matter of putting it together (tricky part, I know :D).

What do you consider a long way? Simple systems for emergencies could be active rather quickly I believe. Though I'm more inclined to do research in civilian applications of UAVs (where being hit by a missile is not a major concern) and focusing on the aspect of natural disasters recovery programs (floods, wild fires, etc), some systems like the ones I described are already ahead in testing. Of course they're not "quiet" or directional but that should be the next logical step I believe.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a decade+ away from mass application in the case of the Russian military. Remember, the S-400 was accepted into service in 2007, and it's still fairly rare. The S-300P isn't going to be fully phased out past 2020. This is with a system that has an established ConOps, it fits in the existing force org easily, and is based on platforms that are in mass production prior to it. Here you're talking about a technology that has never been used before, that's only now in early prototype stage. As is Russian companies can't effectively produce modern UAVs. They can either reliably produce simple and outdated stuff like Grusha, or they can assemble and even locally produce (to some extent) foreign models like the S-100. Only now are the first real medium range UAVs being developed. You're looking much further forward.

mAIOR

It's a decade+ away from mass application in the case of the Russian military. Remember, the S-400 was accepted into service in 2007, and it's still fairly rare. The S-300P isn't going to be fully phased out past 2020. This is with a system that has an established ConOps, it fits in the existing force org easily, and is based on platforms that are in mass production prior to it. Here you're talking about a technology that has never been used before, that's only now in early prototype stage. As is Russian companies can't effectively produce modern UAVs. They can either reliably produce simple and outdated stuff like Grusha, or they can assemble and even locally produce (to some extent) foreign models like the S-100. Only now are the first real medium range UAVs being developed. You're looking much further forward.
Ah, didn't realise that Russia was so lacking in the UAV department. One side question, to end with the deviation from the original subject, how is Russian access to foreign research material? By that I mean publications and specialised equipment usage.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ah, didn't realise that Russia was so lacking in the UAV department. One side question, to end with the deviation from the original subject, how is Russian access to foreign research material? By that I mean publications and specialised equipment usage.
russia has been seeking access to both israeli and french UAS tech since the invasion of Georgia

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I need to get some sleep, so I will only cover portions of this post for now.

Kolchuga.
Kolchuga though is not a radar system, it is actually an ESM that 'listens' to RF emissions. Depending on what the inbound is, and what sort of EMCON and rules it is operating by, there might be nothing for the Kolchuga to 'hear'. If the inbound is receiving datalink updates or is using SATCOMs, then there would be essentially nothing which the Kolchuga could detect. If the inbound was an F-35 using a LPI APG-81 AESA, then an individual Kolchuga system might be able to detect a transmission, but unless there was an extremely high density of receivers, there would likely not be enough for the Kolchuga to determine a vector.

Sure. But that's incidental. This entire thread is based around an assessment of hypothetical capabilities, not a real situation. The reality is that GBAD-centric IADS (with the possible exceptions of Russia and China) are used by weaker states, to make up for their inability to dominate the air. So yes, in reality it will almost always be the case that someone performing SEAD/DEAD operations will have a major advantage in EW and ISR. However to hypothetically asses the ability of modern GBAD against an aggressor we need to isolate and de-contextualize. The conclusion this thread warrants (imo) is a theoretical rather then a practical one.
Modern or not, there are limitations imposed upon any IADS which has a heavy reliance upon ground-based elements. Terrain features and the curvature of the earth will impose limits on what ground-based radar arrays can detect, unless the system is an OTHR array, which as currently known cannot provide target quality data.

True, but lets say we're talking about day 1. Nothing has been hit yet.
The reason Day 1 would be significant, would be that amongst the earliest targets to hit would be strategic targets which the defender could attempt to defend, but would be hard pressed to decoy.

Purely hypothetically the A-50U should have the ability to transmit targeting data to an S-400, which would need to update the missile. I'm not sure whether the A-50U can actually direct the missile itself. The bigger problem of course is whether they've practiced doing this, and whether the operators and confident/comfortable enough to do this in a combat situation. Realistically that would be the weak link for the VVS/PVO forces in this scenario (remember only 2 serial A-50U have been delivered, and ~10 serial S-400 btlns, they haven't had much chance to intersect).
But can an A-50U actually deliver target quality data to an S-400, so that the battery can then relay that to a missile? I honestly do not know enough about the current state of Russian datalinks to be certain. I do recall that one issue Russia has had with datalinks is that each different type of aircraft which was to datalink with an A-50 had to have its own specific datalink. So there would be a module aboard the A-50 to datalink with MiG-29's, a different module to datalink to Su-27/30's, another for MiG-31's and so on. Unless or until Russia comes up with a more universal datalink system like Link 11 or Link 16 there are going to be problems with handing off data between different assets. Like now, there is still the question of whether an A-50 has the ability to pass off targeting data to an S-400. Then there is the question of whether the system operators know how to exchange the data, or the doctrine to do so and exploit the information.

Hence an airborne ISR node would solve the problem, if I understand correctly.
Having an AEW would not completely remove curvature issues, but would generally greatly extend the range. There would still be potential issues with what sort of target resolution the AEW could manage and at what distance, but it should allow a greater defence in depth.

Ok, this makes sense. It would be helpful if we got more info on what they did with the Pantsyr prototype at Kapustin Yar. So far all I know for certain is that it was able to intercept a long-range cruise missile, launched from a Tu-95MS (presumably the Kh-55), with some advance warning. Definitely not an LO target. But with multiple Pantsyrs (batteries of iirc 10) attempting to engage, their chances improve.
One thing to remember about a number of Eastern bloc cruise missiles. They tend to be high flying missiles, at least until they get close to the target objective. This is part of the reason why some have ranges in the thousands of km's, because flight at 10,000 m is more efficient than flight at 15 m. The downside is that such cruise missiles can be detected a long way off.

That is it for now.

-Cheers

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
True. The question is whether similar advances will be made in decoys. The Russian Army played with the concept of using actual decommissioned vehicles as decoys, but tossed it as being too complicated/expensive. The main problem was that an engineer unit could only transport and deploy a small number of those, where as when it comes to inflatables, they can carry a huge supply.

But at this point the question becomes, can all munitions be fitted with these sensors? Because the more you put on the missile, the more expensive the missile becomes. Given that stockpiles of PGMs are relatively small, in a major conflict against a peer power you'd either run the risk of running out, or you'd have to select in what cases you want to commit those kinds of resources. The main purpose of decoys, as I understand it, is three-fold. One is to draw out the aggressor into revealing his own capabilities and patterns of planning, the second is to allow the defender to do physical damage to them, and the third is to waste the attackers resources (for example in the sense that his op-tempo permits X sorties a day, if only Y are flown against real targets, then that's an X-Y= loss of effective op-tempo).

Finally lets say the strike package does fire a Brimstone at a decoy target. The missile scans and determines that the decoy is a decoy. Now what? Assuming the real target isn't sitting 10m to the left of the decoy, can the tactical aircraft that launched the missile find and identify the real target quickly enough? Can a Brimstone fly circles (loiter) while the F-35 (I'm assuming this is our aggressor) tries to locate an alternate target? And would this increase the risk of defenders other units being able to successfully intercept the aggressor?
What also needs to be kept in mind is whether or not some of the aircraft's systems can also scan the ground targets to compare radar and EO/IR signatures.

Given that the rather small radar in a Brimstone can tell the difference between a car and a tank, it would seem sensible to add that capability into the ground-scanning mode of the APG-81. I do not know for sure if that has or will be developed but...

-Cheers

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some interesting reading and ideas. Little if any consideration has been brought regarding emission management. Since we are talking about LO aircraft versus AD we are really talking about deep strike missions. LO aircraft are not going to be emitting anything during ingress (or egress for that matter), nor would they need to. The sole exception would be when the stike aircraft could target and remain beyond the EWEZ. Conversely, AD will be emitting if or when they are a threat and are therefore vulnerable to being fixed for immediate or future targeting. Emissions can be and will be picked up well beyoned the systems WEZ/EWEZ. If the system is not emitting, it's not an immediate threat.

It is also apparent there is some misunderstanding on cockpit presentation. Pilots are not cruising along trying to interpolate raw B/C scope displays. Processing will provide graphical threat display icons, tank, wheeled vehicle etc. An RFI can detect and classify emitters and provide system specific display icons. JSTARS and other compatible platforms can send targets to aircraft which can be further displayed. I would be surprised if deep strike missions are ever going to emit (why would they?) going up against AD; particularly since these are the assetts they are targeting and they are going to specific time/places to engage and, it would negate the purpose/function of LO.

Regarding Brimstone, if it does not see the target type in the "area" it expects to see the target type in it can/will self destruct or go to a secondary target if one existed prior to launch. The "area" is quite a bit larger than 10m. The nice thing about RF missiles such as Brimstone on LO aircraft is that they don't need to lock on before launch and therefore will not be emitting their own radar until after launch. The downside to Brimstone is the published range of 12k is fairly insignificant for a fast mover going up against AD and there's not way for the pilot to discriminate whether or not the target, is actually a target. I would think using a 12k range missile in a high threat AD area to be crazy for a fast mover but that's really not germane to modern radars ability to detect low RCS targets.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some interesting reading and ideas. Little if any consideration has been brought regarding emission management. Since we are talking about LO aircraft versus AD we are really talking about deep strike missions. LO aircraft are not going to be emitting anything during ingress (or egress for that matter), nor would they need to. The sole exception would be when the stike aircraft could target and remain beyond the EWEZ. Conversely, AD will be emitting if or when they are a threat and are therefore vulnerable to being fixed for immediate or future targeting. Emissions can be and will be picked up well beyoned the systems WEZ/EWEZ. If the system is not emitting, it's not an immediate threat.

It is also apparent there is some misunderstanding on cockpit presentation. Pilots are not cruising along trying to interpolate raw B/C scope displays. Processing will provide graphical threat display icons, tank, wheeled vehicle etc. An RFI can detect and classify emitters and provide system specific display icons. JSTARS and other compatible platforms can send targets to aircraft which can be further displayed. I would be surprised if deep strike missions are ever going to emit (why would they?) going up against AD; particularly since these are the assetts they are targeting and they are going to specific time/places to engage and, it would negate the purpose/function of LO.

Regarding Brimstone, if it does not see the target type in the "area" it expects to see the target type in it can/will self destruct or go to a secondary target if one existed prior to launch. The "area" is quite a bit larger than 10m. The nice thing about RF missiles such as Brimstone on LO aircraft is that they don't need to lock on before launch and therefore will not be emitting their own radar until after launch. The downside to Brimstone is the published range of 12k is fairly insignificant for a fast mover going up against AD and there's not way for the pilot to discriminate whether or not the target, is actually a target. I would think using a 12k range missile in a high threat AD area to be crazy for a fast mover but that's really not germane to modern radars ability to detect low RCS targets.
Fairly certain that Brimstone (at least in dual-mode variants) like JAGM is a 25k+ missile when launched at altitude from a fast jet. The dual-mode sensor (added SAL guidance) allows it to fly a better ballistic trajectory and allows longer ranged, single shots.

That 12k range was from the original low altitude launch of the MMW radar variant employed from GR4 Tornado on anti-armour duties...

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What also needs to be kept in mind is whether or not some of the aircraft's systems can also scan the ground targets to compare radar and EO/IR signatures.

Given that the rather small radar in a Brimstone can tell the difference between a car and a tank, it would seem sensible to add that capability into the ground-scanning mode of the APG-81. I do not know for sure if that has or will be developed but...

-Cheers
Yep, the APG-81 can determine between differing types of ground targets, including cars and tanks.

F-35 JSF APG-81 AESA Radar - YouTube

Out of interest, so much for APA's "radar game" claims that the APG-81 "only" has 850-900 or so T/R modules and is therefore inferior in power to the usual compared Russian radar systems...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Out of interest, so much for APA's "radar game" claims that the APG-81 "only" has 850-900 or so T/R modules and is therefore inferior in power to the usual compared Russian radar systems...
there's also the minor issue that numbers of T/R modules means diddly.

it's the capability of the T/R modules that counts, both as an array and individually

the "more is better" argument is like the half wits who argue that Nth Korea has a 3m man army and that the US has only 1/6th of it so therefore the NorKs will seize the day.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Fairly certain that Brimstone (at least in dual-mode variants) like JAGM is a 25k+ missile when launched at altitude from a fast jet. The dual-mode sensor (added SAL guidance) allows it to fly a better ballistic trajectory and allows longer ranged, single shots.

That 12k range was from the original low altitude launch of the MMW radar variant employed from GR4 Tornado on anti-armour duties...
I haven't been able to locate a source that identifies this missiles max effective range at 25k however max ranges are based on a 10% PK under ideal circumstances. My experience has been that ordenance is typically not overly effective at max ranges and those ranges very based on altitude, autonomy and so forth. Dual seekers really wouldn't be the reason for an increase in max range.

This is incidental to the topic however and I was merely pointing out the reallity that at 12k or even 25k you are not only in but way into ADU EWEZ and nobody plans to service targets that way. A strike plan will endeaver to deliver outside EWEZ and within WEZ. LO platforms are just a piece of a battle plan that picks apart IADS.