Historical Military Destination's Where Have You Been and Where Do You Want To Go

riksavage

Banned Member
Ypres - Tour the trenches at Sanctuary Wood, listen to the last post being played at the Menin Gate (My Grandfathers brothers name is on the gate). Highly recommend you read
'They Called it Passchendaele: The Story of the Battle of Ypres' by Lyn MacDonald first though.

Verdun - The Douaumont ossuary and museum are very moving.

Waterloo Battlefield and Museum, Belgium

The great thing about all the above sites is they are all relatively close to each other and can be visited over a couple of days.

Highly recommend the following, slightly off topic, but all great venues:

Imperial War Museum London - Finest display of WWI, II & post war memorabilia I've ever seen, and it's free. Covers all the participants, not just the Commonwealth.

HMS Victory, UK - Just to see a ship of line in all its glory. Same goes for HMS Belfast in London (fired the opening salvo on D-DAY)

Bovington Tank Museum, UK - Just about every piece of armour used since WWI to GWII. Has the only fully restored and working Tiger Tank.

Last edited:

Twickiwi

Thermopylae- although you need some imagination

Battle (Battle of Hastings)- the geography makes you realise the advantage the Anglo-Saxons gave away.

Agincourt- The french museum is really good

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In no particular order, not already listed, all highly recommended for various reasons:

National Air & Space Musuem USA
Spring Hill Paul Garber Facility (restores Smithsonian Aircraft) USA
Smithsonian Dulles Annex (can't tell I love aircraft can you?) USA
US Army Aviation Museum (used to be some wicked cool prototype aircraft from the 50's on up) USA
US Army Infantry Museum USA
Harpers Ferry USA
Gettysburg USA
Bovington UK
Samur France
Sinsheim Germany
La Citadelle Canada
Charleston South Carolina USA Patriots Point (too many things to list including air craft carrier Yorktown, Destroyer, Coast Guard Cutter, Diesel Sub and historic Fort Sumter where the civil war began)
Wilmington North Carolina (Battleship USS North Carolina)
Boston MA USA (USS Constitution, Bunker Hill etc)

Hey gents,

I'm a big Navy fan, and have seen the USS North Carolina, the USS Massachusetts, and the USS Intrepid (I live in NY). I've seen the Gettysburg, Anteitam (sp?), and Saratoga battlefields (There's also a big horse race up there and it's fun too.) There's a few Brooklyn memorial plaques, but not much if anything left of the battlefield ("in 1785, George Washington got his ass kicked at this site" Or whatever)

My wife and I took a trip to London a little while ago wherein we saw the Imperial War Museum, the Tower of London, and HMS Victory. We hung out in Trafalgar Square and Buckingham palace for a little while and that was a lot of fun too.

I've also been to Rome, and took a tour of St. Peter's, saw some old catacombs outside the city, and actually dined in one where they'd built an underground restaraunt. That was really interesting. Saw all the standard sights, colesseum, parthenon (Pantheon? Whichever one's in Rome) various aquaducts, part of the original wall around Rome, trevvi fountain, ect. Not really military, but very good to go see nonetheless.

In the next year or two, we'll end up in Sicily, where my wife has family. It sould be interesting to go see what stuff they have there.

Cheers