Gripen - Red Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would be very surprised if South Africa purchases Gripen. Many of the military airfields are high and it can be very hot.

Switzerland currently operates F-18, but they also operate the F-5, some of which have been leased to Austria. As mentioned elsewhere as Switzerland only operates in a defensive manner the Gripen may suit their requirements.

Chris

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would be very surprised if South Africa purchases Gripen. Many of the military airfields are high and it can be very hot.

Switzerland currently operates F-18, but they also operate the F-5, some of which have been leased to Austria. As mentioned elsewhere as Switzerland only operates in a defensive manner the Gripen may suit their requirements.

Chris
.....ahhh do you mean surprised if SA buy MORE Gripen,s...as they have already ordered 28 and taken delivery of a couple of two seaters...:confused:

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I don't get it either, the Gripen is short range, last time i checked, there was a lot of land in South Africa, but hey they may like them, anyone know of any comments by SA pilots/commanders?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe SA think that spreading them around their country is enough. It is not like there is any serious competition there.

Oryx

I don't get it either, the Gripen is short range, last time i checked, there was a lot of land in South Africa, but hey they may like them, anyone know of any comments by SA pilots/commanders?
Currently, the single 2 seat Gripen delivered to the SAAF is used for qualification testing and some development testing specific to the SAAF configuration. It will be a while before they are fully operational in the SAAF.

The Gripen actually has a pretty good range (longer than you would expect for its size), although the actual range for different configurations like most of the performance numbers of the aircraft is sensitive and not published. It is more than adequate to perform its mission and considerably better than on previous SAAF fighters. Furthermore, export Gripens have in flight refuelling capability which takes care of the occasional very long range/endurance mission.

The aircraft also promises very low maintenance and operating costs, which is particularly important for any air force operating on a peace-time budget. That point also excites pilots because it means higher operational availability and more flight hours per year per pilot. In general, the feeling inside the SAAF seems to be very positive and the majority of those that have flown the aircraft or who are closely involved with it seems to believe that it was the right choice. I think the only other realistic alternative was the Mirage 2000, but since the decision was made to go for Gripen, many of the Mirage proponents have also changed their minds in favour of Gripen. Of course, only time will tell how it is going to perform on squadron level in a representative African operational environment.

For whatever reason, I sometimes get the impression the public perception as well as the perception of aviation enthusiasts only exposed to what is made public is much more negative than those actually dealing with the aircraft. I heard it is a similar situation in Sweden where the public keep pointing out the four Gripens lost so far in accidents, forgetting that 4 crashes (no fatalities) on an aircraft that first flew in the late 80's is actually a pretty good safety record...

swerve

Super Moderator
For whatever reason, I sometimes get the impression the public perception as well as the perception of aviation enthusiasts only exposed to what is made public is much more negative than those actually dealing with the aircraft. I heard it is a similar situation in Sweden where the public keep pointing out the four Gripens lost so far in accidents, forgetting that 4 crashes (no fatalities) on an aircraft that first flew in the late 80's is actually a pretty good safety record...
Well said.

I think the Swedish willingness to co-operate in integrating South African weapons on to Gripen helped. And the prospect for options being taken up can't have been harmed by SAAB actually exceeding its promises on offsets.

rjmaz1

Why do people question South Africa's purchase of Gripens?

The Gripen is the perfect choice for South Africa as it is the only new western aircraft at that price point so more aircraft can be bought or money can be spend on other area's.

I wish Australia had this mindset instead of our generals saying "We must have the best!!". Then they cant afford enough aircraft or even the weapons for them to fire so they pull money from other area's which have 50 year old equipment that needs updating.

People think Australia needs a long range strike option, extreme stealth or a silver bullet aircraft. Do these people have nightmares of South East Asia attacking us? :confused:

Australia cannot afford the best weapon system in every aspect of its military. Buying the number 1 aircraft would have that as our only strong point where as other area's will be under equiped.

If Australia wasn't so big then the Gripen would have been a strong contender to replace our hornets. From what i've seen the Gripens range is pretty much the same as our hornets too. The Hornet range for its size has always been average, where as the Gripen is very efficient for its size. Just enough for South Africa's requirement.

Ths

Banned Member
swerve: No, no.
I'm Danish.
A little travel tip: If You want to be really popular in Copenhagen, just say something nasty about the Swedes - I doesn't ahve to be funny; but if it is nasty, you'll be considered the epitome of wit.
It goes back a long time; but if you really want badmouthing: Try and rattle a norwegeans cage. Norwegeans are nice people - and we sorely miss them in the Danish navy - but don't get them started on the subject of Sweden - they've suffered their occupation.

Ths

Banned Member
SAAF:

The Gripen might not be to bad for South Africa.
It pushes much of the maintainance to the depot level, which means it can be reloaded and refuelled from very basic facilities, which would be an option in south Africa: Dot a lot of airstrip all over the place - basically not more than gasstations -if they can be manned economically.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What is/was ABBA?
:eek2
A disgrace to music, i can't stand their bloody noise, annoys the hell out of me. Thank god they are all gone.
Anyway, they were a swedish group/band, Won Eurovision many years back, and were not that big around the world, except in Australia, where they became bigger then the beatles were here, thats how big.

Oryx

SAAF:

The Gripen might not be to bad for South Africa.
It pushes much of the maintainance to the depot level, which means it can be reloaded and refuelled from very basic facilities, which would be an option in south Africa: Dot a lot of airstrip all over the place - basically not more than gasstations -if they can be manned economically.
I am a bit at a loss as to why you would want to do that? The plan is currently to base the Gripens at Makhado AFB in the North, from where they can reach virtually any other place in South Africa (depending on configuration of course). If you want to deploy to somewhere else in South Africa, why not use one of the already well established and equipped air bases? In a pinch you can also use any of the other 130+ airports in the country with paved runways long enough for Gripen operations. Why "dot a lot of airstrip all over the place"?

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
There's one off-topic question I always wanted to ask a dane.... How do the danish feel about Skåne? Personally I feel like Skåne should be danish again or their own little country... I hate Skåne, the language, the flag... Do you danish feel the same?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
There's one off-topic question I always wanted to ask a dane.... How do the danish feel about Skåne? Personally I feel like Skåne should be danish again or their own little country... I hate Skåne, the language, the flag... Do you danish feel the same?
Most Danes don't care. However, I have had quite some dealings with Scanians over the past years and found, unexpectedly as I didn't think it was anything people took seriously, that they consider themselves more akin to the Danes than to the northern parts of Sweden...

Has nothing to do with language and dialect, but rather outlook and approach to life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.