Future weapons/equipment and their impact on the structure of infantry units

Firn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talking on the handphone while driving is supposed to cause accidents. So I can't see how so much gadgets is gonna help during an intense firefight.

Anyway, I can see the advantages of these Christmas tree gadgets. But let's hope we don't go overboard and end up with our soldiers becoming clumsy robots.
I think you should read about the experience of the soldier-created mesh-up of the Land Warrior in Iraq. It seems to have been a supreme help in many situation. The video is quite good.

In all the training missions that I can recall, reservists - the bulk of SAF - were tired even without all these fancy gear and body armour. It was often chaotic, and messy and the last hing you want is people trying to access computer equipment.
This is the curse of overburdening soldiers with too little physical training. There is no single solution to that, but giving a hard look on what the mission requires is a start. As far as I have understood is that the current Land Warrior weights roughly 3,5 kg for team leaders.

We are not SWAT.

I would start with a small radio for every man, but beyond that, all the fancy gear, could be information overload.

Like I said, nice before the shooting start. But a nuisance during actual combat. Unlike other countries, we do still have tropical forests where these things are quite useless and make movements difficult as they will snare branches, cannot cross rivers etc. If such a heavily-equipped meets a lightly equipped and highly-agile force in the forest, the outcome is predictably not in out favour.
Personally I think that a light and agile force can only be achieved if there is a willingness on the side of the officers to take higher risks to lower the overall risk. This means trying to take only the important items, using the vehicles as far as possible as mules, make aggressive use of ruck caches. After what I have seen about the Land Warrior it seems to be among the essentials, at least in the specifc environment.

I wonder what would happen if such a well-equipped person is captured by the enemy? Will they be able to use these gadgets against us? For example by pressing on the keypad, can he lure the rest of the troops into a trap etc?
This is actually possibly a problem, although I guess that a specific key is needed to log into the network and that the access can be thus be denied.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, I'm not a fan of ACMS in its current format and size. In particular, I would think that the ACMS will be a horror in a river crossing exercise (without the proper prior preparation) - therefore, I don't want to be cast into the role of 'selling' the merits of the ACMS.

However, please consider reading more on the ACMS (Singapore) and the Land Warrior (US) programmes, if we are to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.

For the sake of clarity, let me explain that ACMS has three modular variants:
(i) the Basic Fighting System (supplied to group leaders) focused on fighting capabilities;

(ii) the Full Fighting System (supplied to Section Commanders & above), equipping the Commander and building on the Basic Fighting System, but adding significant C2 capabilities ; and

(iii) the Hand Held System (i.e. a Panasonic Toughbook) which works with the Full Fighting System (a new role for the signal guys). This is carried by a commander’s aide, for use in stationary mission planning tasks, where greater screen size is necessary and a more complex input device can be used.​
Across ACMS, there are certain key capabilities common to all configurations for the trials including; GPS navigation, Blue Force Tracking, red force marking, ‘Medic’ Alert, ‘Contact’ Alert, text messaging, reception of video from remote sensors and round corner firing.

Talking on the handphone while driving is supposed to cause accidents. So I can't see how so much gadgets is gonna help during an intense firefight.

Anyway, I can see the advantages of these Christmas tree gadgets. But let's hope we don't go overboard and end up with our soldiers becoming clumsy robots.
I'm sharing with you the declassified version of the trial report (based on early versions of the equipment). While it is true that during the trial phase:
(i) 96% of users found that the Helmet Mounted Displays (HMD) hindered dismounted movement at night;

(ii) 78.3% found this to be the case during daylight and a clear majority found it adversely affected aiming throughout the day; and

(iii) that ACMS had encountered problems dealing with very harsh environments and there had been issues with overheating and systems overload,​
please note that a number of options were being looked at, including see through HMD, alternative display location and a recent technology – membrane displays. This ONLY means that over time, when the cost of new technologies comes down, the HMD will be changed.

One of the major findings from the trials is the saving in time ACMS has provided. In trials to measure reaction time to enemy contact while en route, time dropped from 20 minutes to less than 6 minutes.

The current Proposed Equipping Scale for ACMS consists of the section commander and above being equipped with the Full Fighting System, with team leaders and below being given Basic Fighting System with basic functionality. This recommendation again is based on trial data and there was no significant difference between ACMS implementations down to all troopers or just section commanders.

With the introduction of ACMS, with new intelligence information flowing to users almost twice as quickly, down from 13 to 7 minutes. Effective distribution of the information was also found to have improved.

In all the training missions that I can recall, reservists - the bulk of SAF - were tired even without all these fancy gear and body armour. It was often chaotic, and messy and the last hing you want is people trying to access computer equipment.

We are not SWAT.

I would start with a small radio for every man, but beyond that, all the fancy gear, could be information overload.
SWAT is a police function - why bring it up here in a discussion on infantry of the 'future' matters? And how would giving a radio to every trooper help - other than to clutter up the command net (especially since you say you are signal trained)? Chino, please take the trouble to understand the system before making such throw away comments.

As previously stated, ACMS allows the section to call upon fire support systems that aren’t held at the section level to engage specific targets they do not have the capability to engage effectively.

Further, one of the goals of ACMS is to enable the section commander to “see one block away”, via a virtual presence. The ACMS trials have used a Worn Array Sniper Detection Systems and a Round Corner Firing attachment. The latter is integrated on the SAR 21 assault rifle allowing aiming through the weapon’s optical sight via a camera, with the display having multiple positions for viewing. The camera is designed to flip sideways with just one hand action, back to a normal weapon sight configuration. Tracked and wheeled, low cost small Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV) and Micro Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) have also been trialled with ACMS. The integration of tactical sensors has been factored into the architecture from the start to cope with bandwidth and power consumption considerations, although the major concern in this area has been how to manage costs.

Last edited:

Firn

First of all, I'm not a fan of ACMS in its current format and size. In particular, I would think that the ACMS will be a horror in a river crossing exercise (without the proper prior preparation) - therefore, I don't want to be cast into the role of 'selling' the merits of the ACMS.

However, please consider reading more on the ACMS (Singapore) and the Land Warrior (US) programmes, if we are to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.
Thanks for that link.

Having now taken a look at both systems it truly seems that if well implemented they greatly reduce the time for a wide ranges of processes. It does so by taking a lot of science out of the war allowing to focus on the art of it. Staggering the capabilities of the modules should help to keep costs and the radio/traffic clutter down.

All in all there seems to be a huge untapped potential. Tapping it with reliable, endurant hardened and soldier-proof systems is now one of the key challanges.

Firn

Some nifty plug-ins for a networked system:

Sensor fused googles

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzh6lqw25ok"]Optics or "Sniper" Detection system[/ame]

Both are of course very expensive toys, but both have their uses so I expect them to see them, if fielded only in very small numbers. The SDS is clearly a very specialized tool, but would be of excellent use on IFV and for selected sections, especially snipers.

And of course the perfect UAV:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lswBDZuL-8w&feature=fvsr"]Highly mobile UAV[/ame]

Firn

How and IDF colonel trains infantryman to think

Boim says the assault on the Gaza Strip in January, as part of Operation Cast Lead, proved that the course is effective in training infantry squad leaders. Lessons from the operation have already been adopted into the second part of the training, which involves 30 different classes for training infantry troops in using various types of weapons and driving armored vehicles.

"From the operation [in Gaza] we learned to place emphasis on the use of mortars, especially on how to locate and pinpoint targets," Boim says. On a number of occasions during Cast Lead, mortars were fired against mistaken locations, injuring IDF troops and Palestinian civilians. In most of these cases, the issues stemmed from problems in relaying target data to the units operating the mortars.

Since the Second Lebanon War, the IDF has invested a great deal in the infantry Brigades, including acquiring new combat gear that no longer requires manual computing. Plans to acquire new armored personnel carriers, which have been delayed for budgetary reasons for nearly 20 years, are now being implemented in the form of the Namer tank, modeled on the chassis of the Mercava main battle tank.
Interesting article

The importance of a well integrated mortar support seems an almost eternal truth especially in MOUT - and that it with the large amount of other sources of firepower so close by in Operation Cast Lead is also not surprising. However as the article points out, sprinting through the processes that start in the sensor and end by the shooter can be problematic and subject to errors. Exactly such scientific aspects can get smoothened out by systems like the "Land Warrior".

Firn

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVia9vxx5o&fmt=18"]Operation Phantom Fury[/ame] reveales some gruesome, yet not surprising aspects of the second Battle of Fallujah.

It also strenghens the case for a system like ACMS which incorporates electronic hearing protection and sound suppressor. Especially in MOUT with grenades going off inside rooms and tanks firing at point blank range nearby. As I wrote before their task is it to cut down the noise of war, keep the aurial sensors sharp and help to keep the communications and thus the bond between the soldiers and buddies strong and alive. The amount of ammunition and ordinance spent in some houses was truly frightening and amazing. If the enemy is determined and brave or on drugs heavy firepowers seems to be the almost eternal response.

Here some insight about Squad tactics in Fallujah

gardnerdesign

Future Squad:

-sixteen men (four four-man fire teams)
-4 Fire Team UCAV's

Soldiers Armament:

-Infantry light weapon: An OICW like weapon that would allow all units to have the capabilities of a assault rifle and a multi-shot grenade launcher.

- Infantry heavy weapon: A disposable 120-155mm weapon that would combine the capabilities of an anti-tank guided missile and a mortar into one weapon. It can be shoulder launched as a direct fire weapon or set up verticley and fired like a morter as an indirect fire weapon.

-4 Hand grenades: Standard hand grenades with the ability to be electronicly detonated. This allows them to be paired with the area defence sytem or other systems.

Equipment:

-Electronic scope: A day/night optics system with zoom that integrates an illumination and designation laser and a laser rangefinder that mounts on top of the light infantry weapon and can connect to the multi-purpose PDA.

-Multi-purpose PDA: A PDA that gives the soldier wireless communication capabilities as well as navigation capabilities expanded situational awareness and when paired with the electronic scope the ability to remotely launch the infantry heavy weapon and guide it to its target or target designate and call in an attack by UCAV.

-4 Area defence systems: An unattended ground sensor with the ability to attach explosives such as hand grenades and mines via a retractable cable. This provides expanded situational awareness and the ability to secure key areas.

-Survival suit: A form-fitting dry-suit that regulates temperature and protects the soldier from moisture.

-Camouflage: Worn over survival suit and chosen based on expected area of operation.

-Survival pack: Caries the soldiers water as well as food rations and contains a medical kit and small oxygen tank (for increased endurance during combat operations as well as allowing for increased proformance at high altitudes.)

-4 Fire Team UCAV's: A tilt rotor UCAV armed with a 30mm auto cannon and 8 heavy infantry weapons with the ability to carry 4 soldiers and there gear. This vehicle provides each fire team with rapid mobility, aireal recon capabilities and close air support . It would be a farly compact bare-bones platform with the soldiers riding externally, it should also utilize a mono-tilt rotor design to reduce the required landing space.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see you are a potential student of Mr Mike Sparks or Sparkie -- good imagination!

Again, I note that you DO NOT try to support your imagination with reputable 'links'. And as usual, most of your ideas lie in the realm of imagination, unrestrained by laws of physics (as most of your fellow forum participants currently understand) and other technical or tactical considerations.

:eek:nfloorl: I am amused.

Soldiers Armament:

-Infantry light weapon: An OICW like weapon that would allow all units to have the capabilities of a assault rifle and a multi-shot grenade launcher.
Do you have any reputable links for actual projects (and not just those from your imagination or day dreams)?

I believe there are different manufacturers offering similar solutions to the OICW being developed - with different calibres. Why don't you look for the links online and explain the pros and cons of each solution, the limitations of current technology and how your idea is different from existing solutions.

- Infantry heavy weapon: A disposable 120-155mm weapon that would combine the capabilities of an anti-tank guided missile and a mortar into one weapon. It can be shoulder launched as a direct fire weapon or set up verticley and fired like a morter as an indirect fire weapon.
You've been watching Transformers and want to import the idea, right?

-4 Area defence systems: An unattended ground sensor with the ability to attach explosives such as hand grenades and mines via a retractable cable. This provides expanded situational awareness and the ability to secure key areas.
Do you know that unattended ground sensors currently exist? BTW, mines with a cable - is an apt description of a Claymore mine (a widely used 1960s product/weapon).

So you are not happy with current sensors and mines. Therefore you have just invented in your head (and only in your head), a combination command detonated mine and sensor. When you detonate the mine, you lose the sensor... Or have I mis-understood you?

-Survival suit: A form-fitting dry-suit that regulates temperature and protects the soldier from moisture.

-Camouflage: Worn over survival suit and chosen based on expected area of operation.
Hmmm... A dry suit? What about heat build up? I hope you know that some military uniforms are sweat wicking to deal with heat build up and permethrin treated (to make the wearer less attractive to mosquitoes and other insect vectors).

Hmmm... I get it, you must have been reading up on Harry Porter and his invisibility cloak as an idea for next generation camouflage. What spell do we need to cast to merge defence technology and magic into a single product?

Last edited:

the road runner

OPPSG you are a fish in a world of fisherman:)

I have been looking at Metal Storm Technology,a revolutionary weapons platform.With a amazing rate of fire,no moving parts......i think Metal Storm is a true future weapon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwN1JbeLGj0]YouTube - Future of Warfare[/ame]

The area denial weapon shown on youtube seems to deny an enemy an area...like a mine field without the problem of Leaving mines in place.

I also like the 3 round 40 mm grenade launcher.This weapon can be slung under a rifle like a single shot 40 mm launcher but with the benifit of 3 nades.

Metal Storm - 3GL - 3 shot semi automatic modular grenade launcher

Metal Storm is an Australian company,listed on the ASX.
It is in Joint development with both USA and Australian Governments.

Metal Storm and Singapore Technologies are in the process of designing a 40mm Grenade for Metal Storm Stacked round Technology.

Comments welcomed

gardnerdesign

OPSSG---

i dont have time to break down everything into small enough words for you to understand ..... and on top of that u need to grow up.... u cant expect everyone to sit down and just blast out a perfectly written paper.... some of us have lives .... and as far as all that sparky bs ...... you are right about that guy wrong about me simple as that .... your great at the facts but your life must be sad lacking an imagination or any people skills .... you are simply a number cruncher, a worker bee nothin more than a gear in a machine .... im the guy ur boss hires cuz u havnt come up with a new and innovative idea in years. my point is anybody can research and report (especially you) or speculate on things that are obvious ...the real gift of a human brain is the imagination and problem solving capability we (well at least i do) posses try using it

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
:) Off-Topic Warning - Responding to a Troll :)

When you first started a thread on your left field idea of an Air-Mechanized Fighting Vehicle, I was wondering if you are a really creative thinker that has been misunderstood OR were you a total wanker. It took 35 posts in the other thread, for me to decide that you are a total wanker or what others would call a troll.

In the course of your dealings with other forum members your approach become clear. Let me explain in a roughly chronological fashion, as follows:

(1) You posted your BS idea and thereafter interacted with Feanor so as to obtain information on Russian systems to avoid doing any research.

(2) Thereafter, you baited Abraham Gubler in the hope he would lose his temper when he showed that your idea defiled the laws of physics. I note that you succeed making a 2nd forum participant give up on you.

(3) You then argued/disagreed with Falstaff (who is an engineer by profession) when he cast doubts from an engineering perspective on the idea of a Air-Mechanized Fighting Vehicle. In the process, you managed to frustrate a 3rd forum participant with your BS responses.

(4) Thereafter, kato provided you with constructive criticism in the hope that you would adopt a different approach. kato's work as the 4th forum participant, in delivering constructive criticism to you fell on deaf ears.

(5) Then Marc 1 came in to objectively look at which bits of your ideas were absolute rubbish and which bits could be salvaged or developed. At that point you told Marc 1 that you refused to accept that you idea could not work and also baited Abraham Gubler by trolling. In one stroke you attempted frustrate a 5th forum member. It was then I realised you were not here to interact - you agenda was to draw attention to your BS ideas without regard for the idea's merit. AT THIS POINT if you were sincere you should have reconsidered you ideas. But no! You work harder to bait others.

(6) The above chronology demonstrated that it takes 5 forum members to deliver constructive criticism to you. And yet you don't accept their reasoned ideas. For their efforts, you basically baited anyone who disagreed with you. I on the other hand, as the 6th forum participant, did not take you so seriously. Therefore you move directly to personal insults without making an effort to discuss this current topic. If it was just a disagreement between you and me - it could be a difference of opinion. But when you have 6 people disagreeing with you...​

IMHO, you must be a troll by virtue of your above mentioned conduct in the other thread. Thus, it is with sadness that I provide my reply to your current attempt at trolling below.

i dont have time to break down everything into small enough words for you to understand ..... and on top of that u need to grow up.... u cant expect everyone to sit down and just blast out a perfectly written paper.... some of us have lives ....
Let me be honest with you. What you lack -- is the will to reason and discipline to do any proper research on future infantry weapons.

.... your great at the facts but your life must be sad lacking an imagination or any people skills .... you are simply a number cruncher, a worker bee nothin more than a gear in a machine ....
Your first response is to try to insult me. Resorting to ONLY personal insults merely creates the impression that the points you raised are WITHOUT SUBSTANCE. In your world anyone who disagrees with you is 'lacking an imagination'. Unfortunately for you, I know that your ideas may have a few minor problems.

and as far as all that sparky bs ...... you are right about that guy wrong about me simple as that
For a guy who claims to know that what Sparky writes is BS, you sure lack self awareness on the quality of your prior posts.

im the guy ur boss hires cuz u havnt come up with a new and innovative idea in years.
I see, an ideas man (your point of view). Or from my point of view - a prodigious producer of poorly digested thoughts.

...the real gift of a human brain is the imagination and problem solving capability we (well at least i do) posses try using it
Kindly take up your own suggestion. Use your brain! Go post in a SciFi forum or try your hand at B movie script writing, your ideas MAY POTENTIALLY BE better appreciated there.

PS You must be a fan of James Joyce - since you like to write in a 'streams of consciousness' style.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@gardnerdesign, as you may remember, I previously brought some of these limitations to your attention, in the hope that you will rethink your approach. IMO, some of your ideas if further refined may be salvaged. In fact, like Marc 1, I even made a specific suggestion for further research. However, you seem to lack the humility to learn (when you are given input) and the discipline to engage in a reasoned discussion (with your quick retort).

You could have looked at factors influencing the extent of Blue Force casualties in urban warfare. If you understand the problems faced by infantry moving through a specific terrain (such as urban areas), you will be in a better position to understand or predict future trends. Please remember that change occurs in a context and is often the result of an attempt to solve certain specific problems faced. Let's cite an example to illustrate my point.

Example of Current Urban Warfare Research *

Research Data: Research models have suggested that sensor latency greatly affects casualties suffered by the attacking Blue forces. Specifically, UAV and the counterbattery radar support in urban warfare. It has been suggested that a latency in delivering information from the sensor to the shooter of more than 1.5 minutes (98 seconds) almost doubles the mean casualties (from around 90 to 170) suffered by the Blue forces.

Possible Analysis: The above date demonstrates the importance of not just accurate information, but also information that is timely. In observing the simulation runs, it is seen that if the targeting effort on the defenders' reserves is not executed well, it could result in the attacking forces having to deal with the reserves that "leaked" from the targeting effort, thus increasing casualties in the ensuing combat at the frontal positions.
-------------------
Footnote: Cpt Ong C. H., Pointer (2009) Vol 35, No. 1
If you had bothered to do some research (like the research extract cited above), you could have come back with a data driven response to agree or disagree with another forum member, which would have been appreciated. Instead you resort to personal insults.

Are you telling me that I don't have the right to disagree with you (even if you are wrong)? I've got news for you. That's not the way forums work. In forums, you may get support for your ideas or you may get challenged. In your case, you are being challenged. And there is no need to foam in the mouth to a challenge. :lul

...my point is anybody can research and report (especially you) or speculate on things that are obvious
You know why you cannot cite research - it is because you are lazy. You are too lazy to build up any subject matter expertise. In fact, you are too lazy to even organise your thoughts. Yet you expect fellow forum members to read your knowledge poor BS ideas and tolerate your insolence.

BTW, do you know why what I write seems obvious? The reason is simple, I happen to be interested in the topics I respond to. I bother to read before posting, unlike a lazy dreamer like you. That is why my points raised seemed obvious.

PS The points I raised would not be obvious to knowledge poor forum participants like you. :nutkick

Last edited:

gardnerdesign

Im going to respond as if you had done the constructive thing (instead of doing haf the things you accuse me of doing) and possed simple questions so that i can respond secsinctly.

The reasoning behind the weaponry, equipment and structuring is to allow the full force of a squad to be focused where and when is nessesary as well as increasing mobility and responsiveness in a 360 degree battfield. On top of that it reduces the chances that an essential capability of the squad will be lost and deprives the enemy of high value targets such as machine gunners or grenadeirs.

-For OICW i like the astralian concept with the stacked granades

-wile i am aware there is no current system that fuses the capabilities of a morter and desposible guided missile system .... surly you can see the value of giving such weapons to every member of a squad. It is completly within the current capablities of all weastern and most eastern countries to do this... the two weapons are not that differnt in both form and function

-sorry have not seen transformers(couldnt resist)

-The unattended ground sensors( of course i kno they exsist or i probubly wouldnt have used the correct terminology ...use ur brain) would be placed with a feild of veiw that was advantages in some way (of course) and an explosive divise would be placed comwere in that field of veiw were an enemy is likly to go. it would than be attatched by a thin wire ( hence the wire duh) there by avoiding destruction and retaining there advantages feild of veiw

-i suggest you all read OPSSG's first responce to me and count how many times he uses he logical falicies he so kindly pointed out in my emotionaly charged(and rrightfully so) responce.

im not a good writer im a good talker in that sence i am a farly lazy person but i dont loose debates and arguments in conversation so the internet is nice...... it gives other people a chance to not only get there ideas heard in full but in most cases win the debate or argument with me

i would prefer u not interact with me if ur not gonna show me respect i dont need you to agree with me just ask me simple questions and state ur opinions and keep them away from personal comments ( didnt your perents teach you interpersonal skills... its respect 101 to do everything in your power to prevent your comments from being offensive

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
i would prefer u not interact with me if ur not gonna show me respect i dont need you to agree with me just ask me simple questions and state ur opinions and keep them away from personal comments ( didnt your perents teach you interpersonal skills... its respect 101 to do everything in your power to prevent your comments from being offensive
Here's a quote from one of your previous posts in this same thread:

i dont have time to break down everything into small enough words for you to understand ..... and on top of that u need to grow up.... u cant expect everyone to sit down and just blast out a perfectly written paper.... some of us have lives .... and as far as all that sparky bs ...... you are right about that guy wrong about me simple as that .... your great at the facts but your life must be sad lacking an imagination or any people skills .... you are simply a number cruncher, a worker bee nothin more than a gear in a machine .... im the guy ur boss hires cuz u havnt come up with a new and innovative idea in years. my point is anybody can research and report (especially you) or speculate on things that are obvious ...the real gift of a human brain is the imagination and problem solving capability we (well at least i do) posses try using it
I'm sure OPSSG can take care of himself, but don't you dare take a tone of personal injury when you've clearly gone out of your way to maliciously insult a man's livelihood and intelligence.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Admin.

Edit: Thread now re-opened.

Read the Forum Rules
Absorb the intent and spirit of the Forum Rules
Abide by the intent and spirit of the Forum Rules

Last edited:

Firn

Rafael has unveiled a "mini" Spike missile to complement their already exisiting family.

Mini-Spike is the first implementation of an anti-personnel precision attack missile, designed for operation at the company and platoon level.

This man-portable missile system weighs about 12 kg, and comprises of a command and launch unit facilitating target acquisition and wireless control for the missile, weighing 4 kg and missiles stored in a canister-launcher, weighing 4 kg each. Typically a soldier will carry the CLU and two missiles with other members of the unit carrying spare missiles.
The missile itself could of course be used in other packages as well, for example on UAVs, Helicopters and AFV. All in all it seems to me to be a sensible addition - how pricey it is has yet to be known. It can be used with a new compact CLU or the existing one, which is suitable for the ATGM Spikes. One can imagine a wide field of uses for such a relative compact and light, EO guided missile with small warhead and a range of 1,2 km, especially in LIC.

Firn

The use of high-tech UGV might greatly reduce the strain on the backs of the soldiers and marines. This is great news and shows that sometimes great investments into new technology can bring ripe fruits. The video is especially telling. I guess my grandgrandfathers, grandfathers and my father would be quite in awe :)

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sometimes one can't beat nature.

Our mountain troops also have nothing but praise for their mule unit.
Nothing can replace them when it comes to carrying heavy loads in difficult terrain.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Silly question about the Metal Storm that I am too lazy to search on the web:

- Can it be reloaded quickly after firing its entire load?

- The first rounds in front are closer to the muzzle and have a shorter barrel travel when fired. The last rounds at the back will travel a longer length of barrel when fired. So in theory the first and last round would fall at different distances, right?