F18 vs F16 vs F22 Minimum Turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xrm150

Hello Everyone,

I enjoy going to airshows when ever I get the chance mainly to get film military aircraft. In the video below I took clips of a Blue Angel F18, F-22, and F-16 all doing their minimum turn radius. When creating this video I was hit with a question..."Is there a limit to how many G's a pilot can pull at a airshow?". And I don't know the answer. Does anyone else?

Blue Angel F18 vs F16 vs F22 LOW - YouTube

Last edited:

Tango1992

f-22 is a super maneuver jet which qick turn of 360 or barrel roll followed by f-15 then f-16..
the min. G-force in f-16 during a dogfight reach upto 9G's
so while making steep turns or performing at air shows...we can say that the pilot is undergoing at a G force of 6.5+ till 8G+

SASWanabe

most aircraft have a G-limit of 5 Gs in peacetime mainly for the longevity of their airframes, i however am not sure if this applys to demos.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
1) "x vs y" threads are not permitted under the Forum Rules
2) in these types of threads there is a tendency for people to "make stuff up" - and its not helpful
3) airshows primary concerns are what manouvres are performed over the airshow declared flight box area - so its contingent on the box size, neighbouring real estate, population centre issues related on the perimeter box,
4) its not about G force, as the primary constraint is (3)
5) flight manouvre over non military air space is tightly managed by civil authority imprimatur as its not a military event, so the size and "longevity" of the interim flight box is critical.
6) some airshows will have civil air traffic control oversight - so airspeed and type of manouvre is already defined through regional/local NOTAMs

Status
Not open for further replies.