Dynamic world

Spetsznaz

I do not think my views are logical fallacies. I'm trying very hard to stay away from the political angle. I am arguing from a philosophical rationalist point of view. My world view is that ideology is a logical progression from politics and / or religion. A group of humans form a society from which springs a culture, which in turn begets politics and religion followed by ideology. Now in my world view ideology is political and that in this forum is forsworn.

However I do agree that greed entered the equation a long time ago. To quote Tom Clancy "War is robbery writ large". And if memory serves me, greed is one of the seven sins along with sloth, vanity envy and lust. I can't remember the rest, but being ex service I've probably committed most of them at least once. My views on the US and China presented here are strictly cultural and I think it is an aspect that is overlooked especially in the west. In the west culture seems to be what is the latest fashion or art or celebrity etc. In fact your culture is defined by the way you live your life, where you live and by those who live with and around you, by what you see, hear, taste and smell, by your history and your beliefs etc. But your community's culture defines you as well. That is what the west forgets when they look at other nations. We in the west measure and judge others by our own values and beliefs and that is our weakness. We think that everybody wants to be like us or should be like us when in fact that may not be the case. That adds to our weakness.

I said in an earlier post that I am or Irish extraction and Maori. Well the Maori were the first native people that the British Empire negotiated a treaty with (1840). We were also the first native people to inflict upon the British army a military defeat. But in the end the British eventually won because of sheer weight of numbers. Their weakness was they judged us Maori as primitive natives - savages, who would not withstand modern (19th Century) warfare. Well in the early 19th century we were still known to eat our enemies but we were, and still are, great warriors. The British bombarded our Pa's (forts) with artillery and then marched their infantry up onto what they thought would be blasted and demoralised natives. We fought them off killing a great many with muskets and our traditional weapons. When they bombarded we had retreated to bunkers within our Pa that protected us from shell and shot. After the barrage ceased we ran back to pre-prepared trenches. This had been the way of Maori Pa for many a long time. So the British infantry met fresh and seasoned warriors. After a while they learned of this strategy and used it themselves in future battles. This an illustration of imposing your own beliefs and values as assessment tools on the values of a foreign culture. It can be at your peril.
I understand, but my point is this is not a cultural conflict, it is rather a struggle for power. The US is not arrogant of China and understand China's culture and vice versa.

The conflict here is the case of power and the fact that the US continues to balance China's military strength is getting on China's nerves. I dont think Ideology is the problem here it is really just a matter of, "The US is all powerful, but they wont let anyone else enjoy that power."

And contrary to the popular belief culture is NOT over looked in the US but that would move us into politics...;)

EDIT: horay I reached my 200 post!

Last edited:

rip

I understand, but my point is this is not a cultural conflict, it is rather a struggle for power. The US is not arrogant of China and understand China's culture and vice versa.

The conflict here is the case of power and the fact that the US continues to balance China's military strength is getting on China's nerves. I dont think Ideology is the problem here it is really just a matter of, "The US is all powerful, but they wont let anyone else enjoy that power."

And contrary to the popular belief culture is NOT over looked in the US but that would move us into politics...;)

I can easily understand how you have came to your conclusions but as true as they have been so many times in the past I think you are being a little cynical but not without reason.

This is the factor I think you are leaving out of your analyses that must be added. After WW II, many people came to the startling revelation that if the human race didn’t start behaving in new more rational and less animalistic ways we could make ourselves extinct. Now not everybody has come to this conclusion and decided that all of us must change our ways or that we will all go extinct but quite a few have. The Post WW II world System as we know it day and as imperfect as it is, was forge by the victorious allies to be designed so that very real possibility would be less in the future by the process of inclusion of new entrants within the system and not be exploited by it, as was the truth before WW II. For if they were not successful conflict was quite literally inevitable and then good by planet Earth.

NICO

I disagree, if there is a conflict with China, it will be multi-level where the military is only a part of the ensemble. The US exports to China are $70 to $80 billion and the goal is to get to $100 billion, that's not chump change. I don't see why we would want them not to "enjoy" power, I would use the word "growth". With a growing middle class in China, India, Brazil and other countries, the US can actually sell quite a lot to them, it really is good for everyone that the level of wealth is spreading. I think China gov. is probably more worried about Hollywood, Google and KFC and what it represents of US "culture invasion" than in the long term, our military. It is easier for a Communist regime to deal with conventional threats compared to the Internet or Tweeter. China can't say NO to the internet, they need it, they can restrict it but they can't tell Chinese population:"forget about it". Same goes for cellphones, look how Iran or Egypt population have used simple cellphones to help with protests.

Now one can argue that resources are growing scarcer every day, I guess you have to believe that rational minds will prevail and we can share resources without going to war. In case of South China Seas, where a lot of people think conflict might arise, too fully exploit the area, you need a lot of money and technology. China might have the money but they and everyone else is going to need to have a lot of tech to fully exploit all resources. So just going to war doesn't resolve the problem if you have to go back to USA and other countries and get the technology.

As a previous member posted, Russia will have a say. Which side do they choose to be on? If I were Russia, I would try to get the best deal be it from China or USA.

Finally, India is building some aircraft carriers. How much will China be p*ssed if India buys Super Hornets and gets to practice and train their pilots with US Navy? I know China has been training with Brazil but please, you can't compare a US carrier to what Brazil can offer to China. It's not just a question of size but experience, operational tempo,good SOP,task force prep with fleet,etc.... India has been training/exercises with Britain, France and US(Red Flag), how much do you think China likes that? You are talking practicing with the elite air forces and ranges in the world, even if China makes a copy of Red Flag (which they probably have), you don't have the same wealth of experience and use of air power in combat that Western nations have.

Last but not least, I have said this before, not sure if I were China gov that I would really want to replace USA as leading power. Maybe share a bit,sure, but take over the whole shebang? One, they can't do it yet because you would need a far bigger military and 2, why does China want to worry and have to figure out what to do in the Middle East or Africa? If some earthquake or what not happens, nobody really asks: "where are the Chinese and why aren't they helping us?" But somebody steals a goat in No-where-to-be-found-stan, everyones like:"why aren't the Americans doing something about it?"

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Finally, India is building some aircraft carriers. How much will China be p*ssed if India buys Super Hornets and gets to practice and train their pilots with US Navy? I know China has been training with Brazil but please, you can't compare a US carrier to what Brazil can offer to China. It's not just a question of size but experience, operational tempo,good SOP,task force prep with fleet,etc.... India has been training/exercises with Britain, France and US(Red Flag), how much do you think China likes that? You are talking practicing with the elite air forces and ranges in the world, even if China makes a copy of Red Flag (which they probably have), you don't have the same wealth of experience and use of air power in combat that Western nations have.

Last but not least, I have said this before, not sure if I were China gov that I would really want to replace USA as leading power. Maybe share a bit,sure, but take over the whole shebang? One, they can't do it yet because you would need a far bigger military and 2, why does China want to worry and have to figure out what to do in the Middle East or Africa? If some earthquake or what not happens, nobody really asks: "where are the Chinese and why aren't they helping us?" But somebody steals a goat in No-where-to-be-found-stan, everyones like:"why aren't the Americans doing something about it?"
I don't think India will buy Super Hornets. My thinking is that they'll go with Russian aircraft because they get the manufacturing and full technological transfer without all the dramas of dealing with the US regulatory agencies. They have just signed a deal for a whole lot of Sukhois which are 4th generation fighters and if memory serves me correctly have 3 axis thrust vectoring fitted as standard (F22 is only 2 axis). Also I saw a report somewhere that the Indians are building to SSBNs.

My thinking is that your logic about China's will to replace the US as "top dog" is wrong. It is a cultural imperative with them because they are the Middle Kingdom. It is also a political imperative because of the political system within which they work. They will have the ability to do it both economically and militarily within the next decade or two at the most. Economically they have double digit growth. What is interesting is how they deal with the economic situation over the next two years because they don't want inflation and they can't float their currency because their financial and political system is not set up to handle a floating currency. The PLA is the largest standing Armed Force in the world. The PLA is also unique in that it has it's own economic empire so in mind that creates issues over who really controls the PLA. Yes they do have quality issues but with time that to can be overcome. However they do not have experience with carrier ops and that is something that will take them time to learn. They are a patient people.

NICO

I don't think India will buy Super Hornets. My thinking is that they'll go with Russian aircraft because they get the manufacturing and full technological transfer without all the dramas of dealing with the US regulatory agencies. They have just signed a deal for a whole lot of Sukhois which are 4th generation fighters and if memory serves me correctly have 3 axis thrust vectoring fitted as standard (F22 is only 2 axis). Also I saw a report somewhere that the Indians are building to SSBNs.

My thinking is that your logic about China's will to replace the US as "top dog" is wrong. It is a cultural imperative with them because they are the Middle Kingdom. It is also a political imperative because of the political system within which they work. They will have the ability to do it both economically and militarily within the next decade or two at the most. Economically they have double digit growth. What is interesting is how they deal with the economic situation over the next two years because they don't want inflation and they can't float their currency because their financial and political system is not set up to handle a floating currency. The PLA is the largest standing Armed Force in the world. The PLA is also unique in that it has it's own economic empire so in mind that creates issues over who really controls the PLA. Yes they do have quality issues but with time that to can be overcome. However they do not have experience with carrier ops and that is something that will take them time to learn. They are a patient people.
I don't believe that India will buy the Super Hornet either, my point was India has the OPTION to buy 2 Western fighters (SH or Rafale) that are operational on aircraft carriers and all that supposes (support,training, common FTX,weapons, decades of experience....). This is not available to China. India, Japan, SK, Australia, Singapore can all buy the latest Western fighters, how comfortable does that make China? So it's not just USA vs China, a number of regional countries can and probably will "go against" Chinese raising power.

On the second argument, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Having read books on China and open source info, been a couple of times there and talk with Chinese friends, I am not sure I see the "imperative" like you do for China to become "top dog". Again,if they become Number 1, does USA become communist? No, more than likely nobody else in the region will either. Will they stop doing business with us or vice-versa?No, China isn't the Soviet Union that wanted to spread communism around the world. I have been there, they want to make MONEY! :)

Spetsznaz

@ngatimozart

India is building SSBM's? Source?

@NICO

you said,"why does China want to worry and have to figure out what to do in the Middle East or Africa?"

This is what seems to worry beatmaster, and frankly I agree with you on that.
I dont think China is so threatened by US involvement in the middle east. I also don't think that China stays up at night worrying about US issues with SK and DPRK.

Also Agree on the fact that Russia involvement in this, and it will get involved in this, is to just see predict the winner and stay with the winner. And agree on the the fact that China want money, but as a regime the want to make money comes with the want to expand millitary power as a means to get money.

@Beatmaster

Can you explain why you feel China is threatened by US involvement in the middle east and the Korea's?

EDIT: By the way I just noticed the new profile side layout, nice I like it :)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@ngatimozart

India is building SSBM's? Source?

@NICO

you said,"why does China want to worry and have to figure out what to do in the Middle East or Africa?"

This is what seems to worry beatmaster, and frankly I agree with you on that.
I dont think China is so threatened by US involvement in the middle east. I also don't think that China stays up at night worrying about US issues with SK and DPRK.

Also Agree on the fact that Russia involvement in this, and it will get involved in this, is to just see predict the winner and stay with the winner. And agree on the the fact that China want money, but as a regime the want to make money comes with the want to expand millitary power as a means to get money.

@Beatmaster

Can you explain why you feel China is threatened by US involvement in the middle east and the Korea's?

EDIT: By the way I just noticed the new profile side layout, nice I like it :)
Re Indian SSBN's Thre sources. I first read it about 6 months ago and forgot so I have just googled it and got quite a few hits so I have listed three links with the last being the Indian Navy itself.

India intends to build three SSBN and six SSN

Arihant Class Submarine - Naval Technology

Indian SSBN to complete nuke triad by 2012

rip

Re Indian SSBN's Thre sources. I first read it about 6 months ago and forgot so I have just googled it and got quite a few hits so I have listed three links with the last being the Indian Navy itself.

India intends to build three SSBN and six SSN

Arihant Class Submarine - Naval Technology

Indian SSBN to complete nuke triad by 2012
The cultural angle has been mentioned several times and I agree that in the long run it is a more important factor than the current military and economic arrangements which we can all agree are in rapid flux.

Here is what I think is the crux of the cultural matter and it is not the hyped up us versus them or the East verses the West scenarios taked about so often, thou those issues do exist. The most important thing to recognize is that the Chinese people are in the process of trying to create a brand new, much stronger, and far more unified Identity for themselves both as a people and as a nation, while claiming to the rest of the world that they already have.

I do not claim to understand this new ideality but I know this they have never had a strong unified common ideality in their past but they do see a clear and desperate need to have one now.

In the past they were like the Jews if you put three of them in a room and come back an hour later, two of them would be claiming that the third wasn’t really a truly Jew. The Chinese culture, history, art, and in most regards its political structures has been full, interesting, and filled with great human accomplishments but in that past they were only unified as a nation from the top down and not from the bottom up. Historically they may have hated and never trusted the foreign devils they encountered but they weren’t that happy with the guy’s on the other side of the mountain’s ether.

As just one example, they may have a nation language “Mandarin” but not all of them speak it and for many that do speak it, it is their second language and this is only one example of the structural disunity that is based upon regional biases which they are actively trying to overcome. This subject is vast and could take up not only a thread of its own but a whole board. But one thing is for sure and that is they haven’t completed the process to their own satisfaction. And for the part that they have completed they have not yet found a way to articulate their new ideality to the rest of world in a confidenet and non-threating way.

I sometimes think that they are more confused than they are really hostel in their pronouncements, no matter what they seem to say to our ears because they as yet do not have the secure confidence in their still new and developing ideality that other do. The ideanity of what it means to be the new kind of Chinese citizen that comes only with time. As a consequence of this I think China often frames their positions in an unnecessary shrill way more so than is their true intentions and this is in part leads to our mutual misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Beatmaster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not that china is really threatened by US involvement in the region, but what they fear is losing political control over most of those regions.
To to the chinese culture the boundries of the sphere of infuence is controlled by diplomatic might, economic cash flow and is save guarded by the military.
So its not their nature to block outsiders as they bring new cash and oppertunities wich the chinese very mutch like.
However its the save guarding of the vast resources wich they have in their reach and what they need to fuel their public and industrial system.
China's economic power still rises with major digits and will keep rising.
Some might argue that this is a bubble effect, others might say that its to fast and uncontrolled, but others might say that this is a planned strategy.

China has always been very cautious and protective over its assets and direct sphere of influence, but what counts even bigger are their achievements wich are at least to say impesive.
There are serious concerns in China that the US is pursuing a containment policy towards China.
And if needed China will defend this to the bone to protect their way of life and their own survival.
China's economic power and indirect military power and the technolgical rise is largly connected to a rapidly growing knowlegdbase in China, another huge factor is demand for resources wich nearly equals the US, but it does not stop there its still growing wich analysts around the world.

So China is basicly just protecting itself against any involvment.

Four factors have changed China's security environment, and it should tighten its regional security management on five fronts.

The first change is related to the United States. The US remains the bellwether with its "flying geese" security structure. The US-Japan and US-Republic of Korea (ROK) alliances make up the second section of the US security chain, the relationship between the US and Australia, Thailand and the Philippines form the third, and the ties between the US and Vietnam, Indonesia and India make up the fourth.

The US emphasizes the importance of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) as a pivot of multilateral body in the region and undertakes to improve India's status in the international community, and its fourth security segment will help it to shape (or reshape) the regional order.

Contrary to American politicians' claim, Washington's participation and leadership in various institutions across Asia Pacific are aimed at maximizing US interests. The US changed its Asia strategy in a hurry to return to Asia, complicating China's relations with its neighbors further and weakening their political mutual trust.

Second, the most vulnerable link in China's security environment lies in Northeast Asia. The situation on the Korean Peninsula serves as a barometer of the regional security situation. This year has witnessed the sinking of the ROK's corvette Cheonan and exchange of fire near the western maritime border of the Korean Peninsula, creating the most serious crisis since the armistice ended the 1950-53 Korean War. The US jumped into the fray immediately after the exchange of fire and has held several military drills with the ROK and Japan in the waters around the Korean Peninsula. The drills, unprecedented in scale and intensity, have given rise to the US-Japan-ROK military alliance.

Since China has always believed that only equal dialogue can ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula and resolve the Korean issue, it proposed to hold emergency consultations among the heads of delegation to the Six-Party Talks. But it was ignored by the US, the ROK and Japan. The continuing tension on the Korean Peninsula and Washington's strategic squeezing of Beijing have created challenges for China

Source

This was just a quote from China daily.
This site has been known to be not completly neutral but it does respresent what iam trying to say.

China has no problems with the world as it needs the world, it does not hate the US as it needs it.
What china does hate is the way how the western economic system works because its to a very large degree still based upon the old capture, exploit and defend strategy that dates back from the early 1700 up to today.
Altrough it has changed so mutch and adapted to the current situation its still considered very hostile towards china's cultural structure and economic system.
Thats just one of the major differences wich play a very large role in this problem.
As i said before there are serious concerns in China that the US is pursuing a containment policy towards China.
regardless if this is true or not, iam not judging the US neither am i judging China but the race for resources will start sooner or later, and both the west and east are going to need alot of resources.
See the chinese expansion to south amerika, to africa and to their direct region wich is more then needed to fuel the chinese economic's and development.
And here lies the problem, western economic's and strategy does not mix wel with asian protocols.
Here in the west economic's are seen different from politic's and military, where in asian believes economic's is seen as fuel for prosperity and growth, where the military is a symbol of might and a tool to guard and represent the goverment wich has supreme rule.
So US involvement in the region is a scary thing specially because the US has the power to capture and claim it by force if needed.
So China is gearing up to defend that and rival as they have done for the past 500 years.
And regardless if the is the right way just or unjust, its what kept china alive specially in the past 200 years.
Another issue is that the US does not like the fact that they are being equalled and challenged..they are not custom to that specially by a contender wichs culture is a direct opposite of the western cultural system.
And this is where i say that if the US policy does not change that this might proof to be a collosal mistake for both east and west.

here another rather old link but it does provide some good info about china's economic's and US involvement in those regions & both economic and military.
Link

Beatmaster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another thing i forgot to mention is that both east and western military structures have grown beyond a point where even a small scale conflict can destroy the economic system where both are build upon.
So even if the US defeats China then it loses anyway this applies both ways because the economic impact can destroy the world economic system.
So its in the intrest of both to avoid that at all costs.
However western policy and eastern policy are bound to eachother by the fact it will lead to a power exchange in the future unless its being tweaked and changed, wich is nearly impossible for the east as their cultural system and chain of command does not allow it keep in mind the goverment still has supreme rule and will not give that up.
Wich is a major downfall for the east.
While if the US would change its policy it will mean that it cannot maintain its current status, politically and military wich they cannot affort.
Wich is could be a downfall for the west.
And in this case china has always been self sufficent wich the US is not.
So a confrontation would mean a defeat for china but it would also mean a collapse of the western economic and structural system.
So both are bound to power exchange confrontation.
This has been said by several high ranked analysts, and its being debated around the world some say its bull....others say its possible and another group is saying that its possible.
However fact remains that most are based on the same principal wich i described above.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The cultural angle has been mentioned several times and I agree that in the long run it is a more important factor than the current military and economic arrangements which we can all agree are in rapid flux.

Here is what I think is the crux of the cultural matter and it is not the hyped up us versus them or the East verses the West scenarios talked about so often, thou those issues do exist. The most important thing to recognise is that the Chinese people are in the process of trying to create a brand new, much stronger, and far more unified Identity for themselves both as a people and as a nation, while claiming to the rest of the world that they already have.

The Chinese culture, history, art, and in most regards its political structures has been full, interesting, and filled with great human accomplishments but in that past they were only unified as a nation from the top down and not from the bottom up. Historically they may have hated and never trusted the foreign devils they encountered but they weren’t that happy with the guy’s on the other side of the mountain’s ether.

I sometimes think that they are more confused than they are really hostile in their pronouncements, no matter what they seem to say to our ears because they as yet do not have the secure confidence in their still new and developing idealism that other do. The identity of what it means to be the new kind of Chinese citizen that comes only with time. As a consequence of this I think China often frames their positions in an unnecessary shrill way more so than is their true intentions and this is in part leads to our mutual misunderstandings.
I haven't quoted the the example you used about the diversity of the Chinese population. The term Chinese could arguable be used as a definition to name all the different ethnicities within the PRC (Peoples Republic of China) A comparative example would be Europe. Their are 15 major languages in China and only in recent times has Mandarin been made the official language for the whole country. There are different races and religions within China as well.

I agree that the Chinese are in the process of completing a new identity for themselves and a new idealism. It has to be remembered that the Last Qing Emperor fell 1912 being forced to abdicate the throne. His fall was hastened by the Dowager Empresses' Boxer Rebellion against western merchants and powers who from the early 19th Century used military means to force China to open its borders to foreign devil traders.

China has a long history of dynasties lasting for 3 - 5 centuries or so before collapsing to be replaced by another younger and more vital dynasty. But in the end they all follow the same cycle - very energetic at the start but very tired and corrupt at the end hence losing the Mandate of Heaven. So in Imperial times for a dynastic overthrow to succeed the challenger had to state that that the current Emperor no longer had the Mandate of heaven. At the fall of each dynasty there has always been confusion as the dynasty collapses and the new one formed.

This was seen from 1912 - 1949 firstly with the Warlords period in lasting right up to WWII which for China started in 1937 with open Japanese aggression and the rape of Nanking (Nanjing). The Kuomintang under Chaing Kai Shek was supported by the US and bitterly fought a civil war against the Chinese Communist party under Mao Zedong. This resulted in the famed Long March. After WWII the civil war continued with the CCP winning in 1949. My argument now is that the CCP has formed another dynasty, but this dynasty is different to all previous dynasties on two counts.
1. It is not heredity &
2. It has far greater central control over the population than any previous dynasty.

You argument is flawed. China has a very large interest in the Middle East because that is where it gets the majority of its oil from. It has good diplomatic relations with Iran. The Chinese government is not predisposed towards altruism.

On the second argument, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Having read books on China and open source info, been a couple of times there and talk with Chinese friends, I am not sure I see the "imperative" like you do for China to become "top dog". Again, if they become Number 1, does USA become communist? No, more than likely nobody else in the region will either. Will they stop doing business with us or vice-versa?No, China isn't the Soviet Union that wanted to spread communism around the world. I have been there, they want to make MONEY! :)
The Chinese have a plan to have their currency as the main trading currency in the world replacing the US dollar. But they will have big issues doing that because their financial & political systems are not setup for nor have the ability to enable floating of the Renminbi. They will do anything they think necessary to defend the motherland. No they won't force the US to go communist but one thing I am seeing is the ride of China and the fall of the US.

Last edited:

rip

Another thing i forgot to mention is that both east and western military structures have grown beyond a point where even a small scale conflict can destroy the economic system where both are build upon.
So even if the US defeats China then it loses anyway this applies both ways because the economic impact can destroy the world economic system.
However western policy and eastern policy are bound to eachother by the fact it will lead to a power exchange in the future unless its being tweaked and changed, wich is nearly impossible for the east as their cultural system and chain of command does not allow it keep in mind the goverment still has supreme rule and will not give that up.
While if the US would change its policy it will mean that it cannot maintain its current status, politically and military wich they cannot affort.
So a confrontation would mean a defeat for china but it would also mean a collapse of the western economic and structural system.
This has been said by several high ranked analysts, and its being debated around the world some say its bull....others say its possible and another group is saying that its possible.
However fact remains that most are based on the same principal wich i described above.
To beastmaster in three parts, part A-1 (I am limited in length in my responses.
Your post is concise, thoughtful, comprehensive, and logical it has taken me some time to respond to it in the respectful and detailed way that it deserves. Sorry if I have taken too long to respond.
This time I will go through each and every one of the point’s on a one by one bases. Which is not a miner undertaking, because of the number of issues and the different assumptions we both have when interpreting the same facts. Now to proceed, in order that you have presented them.
Point One, as to “Threads, It’s not that China is really threatened by US involvement in the region, but what they fear is losing political control over most of those regions. To the Chinese culture the boundaries of the sphere of influence is controlled by diplomatic might, economic cash flow and is save guarded by the military.”
I hope China does not feel threatened by the US because if it did, the US would have failed in both its intentions and perceptions. But why does China just assume that they should have control of their region (just like the Japanese before them) much less that they are in danger of somehow losing it or that the US should indorse the validity of that obsolete concept? It (the independent countries of Asia) has never been theirs (China’s) nor is it ours (The US), to lose. We have never had control of this region nor have we sought to control it. What we have sought is ever more productive and ever expanding cooperation between the various countries in the area, both to gain added cooperation with the US and to promote additional cooperation between those countries. As a purely practical matter, the time, effort, and resources expended in trying to gain some kind of an “illusion of control” (and illusion is all that it could ever be) over any group of unwilling people never pays for its self in benefits equal to the costs. But cooperation that leads to sustainable mutual benefit works much better, is much cheaper, and is far more attainable.

And to address a similar issue brought up latter in the post (slightly out or order) that the US is interfering in China’s relations and its influence with its neighbors (its sphere of influence)? As you remember China went through a rather long period of time first in upheaval where it had no influence on its neighbors except to spread chaos, which was then followed by a period of self-imposed isolation. During that time and even before, the US was establishing connections with the countries around China and looking for ways to cooperate with them. This was a time when China was effectively out of the picture. So from a very practical point of view it is the Chinese who is interfering with our already established relationships with these countries, not the other way around.

But all these nations are free and independent and can cooperate or not, or play or not play with anyone they chose to and we are not trying to stop them. They will make decisions based upon what they feel are in their best long term interest and it is in our interest that they are free to make their own choices. If China screws up by pushing too hard on them with its “Vision” whatever that is, forcing it upon people who don’t want it, they will value their relationship with the US even more. They are free to make their own decisions even when we think in our opinion they are poor ones as long as they are free to then later, if they chose to, change their minds.

Point Two, “So it’s not their nature to block outsiders as they bring new cash and opportunities which the Chinese very much like.”
What you are describing is very similar to the policy once followed by the Chinese, towards the British Empire and other foreign traders. A policy, where the Chinese government was willing to sell their highly sought after products to the British and others but would only take in return for their desirable products, Gold and Silver. The British and others were not allowed to sell their goods to the Chinese people (The ruling Mandarin’s in their unchallenged wisdom confidently pronounced, that “the West had nothing to offer China of any value”, not goods, not science, and especially not foreign (non–Confucian) ideas. Even though China at the time couldn’t make metal sewing needles among many other very useful things.
An economic action on the Mandarin’s part, which almost bankrupted the British Empire by draining it of its cash (causing economic deflation and a liquidity crisis) and hence led eventual to the first Opium War. You would think after that they would rethink their simplistic approach to world trade?
Point Three, as to “However it’s the save guarding of the vast resources witch they have in their reach and what they need to fuel their public and industrial system.”
Though this approach to economic advancement will at first seem to be quite effective, it only works when there are vast amounts of underutilized resource which have never before been utilized are first brought into play. But in reality this is not very efficient approach.
No one in the world has enough of everything that its needs to be the best at what they can be or to do what they can do the best. That is why free trade and access to and not the denial of, access to resources is so very important to the world’s prosperity and its peace. China’s thinking is, in a business sense, follows the business model of “vertical integration”, were the specific goal is to have complete control of each of the steps of the process required in creating wealth, from beginning to the end.
To the Chinese they believe that political control of some kind in essential to secure sufficient access to what they think they are going to need to continue to prosper. Not only is this not realistically possible in a very practical sense in the modern world, it is in fact less efficient as an economic paradigm. If it wasn’t, we would not of seen that the large business enterprises have abandon that concept a long time ago because it wasn’t as productive as specializing in doing what they could do best in their part of the wealth creation chain of activities.
The only way to insure assess to the resources for the word's needs and that they will at the same time naturally go to the people that can best make use of them (i.e. to the best creators of wealth at the best price for that step of wealth creation) is to insure the integrity of the world’s free trading system. That system is built just as much upon cooperation as it is upon competition. The alternative is that we fight like junkyard dogs over the scraps.
Point Four, as to “China's economic power still rises with major digits and will keep rising. Some might argue that this is a bubble effect, others might say that its to fast and uncontrolled, but others might say that this is a planned strategy.”
The question should be put differently, why and how it is growing so fast right now at this point in history, why has it taken until now to grow, and how long can they sustain this very wonderful high rate of growth? The related political question that goes along with it is, when the remarkable rate of growth stops as all such thing do the internal dynamics existing within China will change dramatically putting the current power structure in danger? People are willing to put up with a lack of political freedom when their material conditions are improving but they are less willing when the material condition are no longer improving.
To explain China’s raped economic rise and the eventual reduction from its rapid rate of growth that will someday come where to survive it will have transform to the next stage of a more mature economy, I have to explain a little bit about the history of wealth.

Wealth the single within all human societies and has been sense the beginning of time and will continue to be more important organizing factor into the foreseeable future. Wealth is best defined for our purposes by the “Futhurest” Buckminster Fuller in his book Spaceship Earth as "the access to sustainable human life support.” All societies desire wealth and will endeavor to acquire as much of it as possible (human life support) until they reach some factor in their environment that the lack of which then limits further growth (the theory of constraints).

We can generally divide human history and its drive for ever more wealth into three areas and track its evolution by the kinds of competition between people for those things that will limit their amount of wealth. The first area of competition between groups of people for what limited their access to wealth was for physical tangible assets, be it as simple as the access to good water, hunting grounds, and going on up the scale to eventually include things like mineral ores and the critical one in today’s world (that of energy).
But believe it or not, these things are much less important than you think and they are far less important overall than they were in the past. The temporary shortages of many commodities that are much in the news right now are not caused by sematic shortages as is commonly assumed but because of the unexpected increase in demand created by emerging economies that far exceeded the expectations of the suppliers. The necessary resources exist and will be provided but they takes several years in most cases for them to be developed and to then come one line to furnish the supply into the pipeline. And where they can’t keep up with demand we will then see substitutes created. The current rise in commodities prices are a temporary blip on a generally downward trend that has been going down now for two-hundred years.

The second phase of history began when the limiting factor to the creation of additional wealth was the ability to accumulation adequate amounts of capital. Only when large amounts of capital could be concentrated and held together could huge wealth creating projects like dames, railroads, and large efficient factories be created that took time to complete and had large but at the same time long delayed returns on investment for these large capital outlays.
This very fact ushered in the age of imperialism with its endless need for not only for more raw materials which had never before been seen but also for the captive markets to justify and to amortize the expense of those grand projects that took years to justify and the reliable markets to sustain them. This meant that the competition between groups of people were now for trade routes, colonies, and the pursuit of market captured monopolies of all kinds. But today we are in a completely new area, one which unfortunately most people have yet to recognize and so too then fully comprehend. Today the primary limiting factor to the creation of wealth is human acumen.
Though the first two factors previously considered have been the limiting elements in the creation of wealth in the past and they have not gone completely away, they are no longer the critical limiting factor (the critical path to the creation of wealth). Human acumen, in the form of drive, imagination, and most especially intelligence with the added freedom to use these facilities’ to their best advantage are the things that are in the shortest supply in today’s world. When you have the raw materials and the Capital to put them to work, what you need then is smart people and especially very smart people to put them to work in the best way.

Up until this point in history there were always more very smart people than there were real jobs that absolutely required in all honesty, very smart people to fill them. That is no longer true. Now we have more available physical resources and vast pools of available Capital in the world than we can be effectively and efficiently best be used within the previous employed pools of human participants. This is because there are not enough very smart people in place to put them to their best effect. (Intelligence it is defined for our use as; the ability to absorb, record, evaluate, organizes, and analyze information so as to use that information to effect the physical environment in a way that enhances human welfare). Welcome to the information age.

If you look around you, you will see that all the advanced countries are importing as many very smart people as the can get because they do not have enough of their own and always need more.

Now that you have the basics’ under your belt to understand the question in the proper way, the reason why that China is growing so fast is that they are finally able to utilize a large part of the vast human potential of their bright, industrious, and disciplined population. Where before as it was in their previous system they did in fact inhibited the use of the Chinese people’s drive, imagination, and intelligence. Since there is or at least there was, so much underutilized human resources within China that the world needed and that there was at the same time so much Capital floating around in the world looking for a good place to land and to go to work, it has landed in China when the time came when the Chinese government allowed it. And as there is still a large excess of underutilized human potential still within China as yet unutilized (one out of every four people living on Earth are not only Chinese but Chinese living within China) they will continue to grow even though they are not using those human resource in the best possible way.

When they exhaust their previously unutilized human resources their growth will slow dramatically. At this point in time, two thirds of their people are still living down on the farm and in effect living in the past and many of those people are not prepared to enter the modern world as fully productive participants. But nevertheless that day is coming and when it does they will hit the wall if they do not hit some other wall first like a political one. The question is when? At that point to get additional productive benefit from the Chinese people will require giving them more freedom and a fairer system to operate within so they can do what they can do best even better than ever before.

rip

To beast master part-A-2
Point Five,

As to you comment, “There are serious concerns in China that the US is pursuing a containment policy towards China. And if needed China will defend this to the bone to protect their way of life and their own survival.”

I would disagree that China has to worry about its survival (though I understand its historical reasons why it worries, but it is a matter of its perception not of its peril. Please don’t confuse the occasional frustration of China’s forging policy plains with its survival. That is going way over the top as far as perceptions go.

But the matter of containment is more complicated and completely dependent upon China’s behavior. First there is no way for the US can by its self to contain China and no effective way it can force anyone else to join it in an effort of trying to contain China. WE do not and NEVER have had that kind of POWER. If China is contained, as she might perceive it, it will only be because of its actions with regard to its neighbors not its actions towards the US or actions by the US.

If you remember we encouraged China to end its self-imposed isolation and engage itself vigorously with the rest of the word or have you forgotten so soon. One of the reasons we are having this challenging and vigorous debate is that it is part of the process of engagement, not of isolation. We may disagree on many things but we are trying to find as much common ground as possible to achieve as much productive cooperation as is possible. The process might not always be smooth or even polite at times but the goal is to find the areas where we can effectively cooperate. If we can effectively cooperate on some things now, even though we do not agree on others, those other concerns might be easier to solve in the future.

As to the comment, “So China is basically just protecting itself against any involvement.” I must admit I honestly do not understand what you mean so I cannot answer.

Point Six; as to your comment, “Contrary to American politicians' claim, Washington's participation and leadership in various institutions across Asia Pacific are aimed at maximizing US interests. The US changed its Asia strategy in a hurry to return to Asia, complicating China's relations with its neighbors further and weakening their political mutual trust.”

The answer to this statement is an emphatic and resounding NO. I hear this crazy stupid statement over and over again but it is usually comes from perpetual losers in the world blaming the US and all of the other more successful peoples which are doing better than they are themselves for the fact they are just plain losers. This statement is usually followed by a demand (begging) that we must do something to insure their success (send them money) when they have done so little to further their own success. This is not a statement I would expect to come from China or for that matter from any of Chinese people in general, either inside or outside of China. No impartial analyze could ever come up with the conclusion that the US is stacking the deck for its own benefit and those who do ether haven’t examined the facts or have their own political ax to grand and don’t care for the truth. Of all the statements made this one flies so far from the real truth it is hard for me to remain civil in my response.

Does the US profit from the world system that it helped to set up after WW II? In many ways it does benefit but if it had pursued the very real progressives of power it had available to it after WW II, using the kind of progressives that have traditionally gone to great powers have after winning a major conflicts, could we have done far better for ourselves, at least for a while. But that would have only started the same old cycle once again, a cycle that always leads to more and even greater conflicts in the future with no way to resolve them because productive agreements of mutual cooperation require trust and trust is always earned. If we had taken the traditional course of great powers after WW II we would have squandered our only chance to build the trust necessary to create the would we want to eventually live in.

The correct way to look at this is not that has the US prospered under the new system it helped to create, (if it didn’t the system wouldn't work for even us then the system couldn’t of work for anybody) but instead to see how well other people have prospered under the very same arrangements we have endorsed and followed. The whole world has done much better than ever has before in its history and thou this always requires the people themselves to work hard and be smart to advance themselves within the system we helped create, it not only allowed this to happen but was designed specifically to encourage it to happen. This required sacrifices on our part that continues to be regularly discounted because we are seen as so rich and powerful that we do not somehow deserve what we have gotten from our own hard work so then we must have acquired it though other than honorable means instead of by honest efforts. Not true. Not ever true.

rip

To beastmaster part B
Now to address the comments from this was quoted from the China daily.

Point One “What china does hate is the way how the western economic system works because its to a very large degree still based upon the old capture, exploit and defend strategy that dates back from the early 1700 up to today.”

I do not know where this comes from? It makes no since and does not fit reality or if it was true how did China succeed so well?

Point Two, “Although it has changed so much and adapted to the current situation it’s still considered very hostile towards china's cultural structure and economic system.”

Answer, it is difficult to be ageist China’s cultural and economic system as it exists today, when nether I or many others can even understand it as it exists today. Maybe what they are doing is judging their disapprove of our system because it is not theirs?

Point Three, “See the Chinese expansion to south America, to Africa and to their direct region which is more then needed to fuel the Chinese economic and development.”

Answer, We see no problem with China expanding its interests into other parts of the world. It could be good for China and it can be good for the world. In fact it is a natural part of free trade development in general.

Point four, “And here lies the problem, western economics’ and strategy does not mix well with Asian protocols.”

Answer, How do they not mix? There will be fewer big business banquets and instead more reliance upon contracts based on law, a belief in intellectual property rights, and that trademarks be protect? These asian protocols are not explained.

Point Five, “Here in the west economics’ are seen different from politics’ and military, where in Asian believes economics’ is seen as fuel for prosperity and growth, where the military is a symbol of might and a tool to guard and represent the government which has supreme rule.”

Answer, This is a oblivious place where we have a definable differences. We believe that the government, any government anywhere, does not have a right to rule its people and the people, any people do not exist only to serve the government. That it is always the people’s right to choose and to then un-chose those that govern them and not some elite torule them. A belief that we will not suppress to suit the comfort zones of tyrants, dictators, and authoritarians of any kind. From this we will not back down. We will deal with these people, and we will cooperate with them sometimes if we must for we live in the real world and not doing so would not make the world better but we will not endorse the premise of their power. Why? Because the practice of authoritarianism (the premise that one small group of people have the unquestioned right to control and restrict the development of others) not only diminish those that are being ruled but that of every other member of the human race. It devalues people everywhere and makes them expendable objects to serve the interest of a few.

Point Six, “So US involvement in the region is a scary thing especially because the US has the power to capture and claim it by force if needed.”

If we sought empire we would have already exercised that option long ago when it would have been easier to accomplish. We are not seeking major changes in Asia though that does not mean that we think the current conditions are perfect. It is China that wants to make the big changes and to stir the pot. The two major failures to our way of thinking in Asia are North Korea and Burma because they are not improving ether economically or politically while the other players are improving in many ways.

Point seven, “Another issue is that the US does not like the fact that they are being equaled and challenged. They are not custom to that especially by a contender which culture is a direct opposite of the western cultural system.”

Answerer, once again is this is wrong. The US has never been unchallenged in its life. Whatever history they are reading as a reference, it needs to be corrected. What the US has never done is fail to meet its challenges not that they were ever absent. Nor does it expect that they would all go mysteriously away sometime in the future. As far as competition goes, it goes hand in hand with cooperation. Competition can be very beneficial to both parties and their societies by make each of them better.

Let us compete on who can cure cancer first, or land a man on Mars, or extend useful and productive human life or build the smartest computer, or predict earthquakes!

We are ready to compete with you for glory, bragging rights, prestige, a place in history. Let’s start right now, one, two, three, GO!

Point Seven, As said, “And this is where I say that if the US policy does not change that this might proof to be a colossal mistake for both east and west.”

Answer, show us how to improve the world system, and I said the world and not just Asia because they cannot be separated, and we will join you. But to our eyes is seems that the only changes China wants to make is to secure its own importance and to seek more advantages for its self at the expense of others. If I am wrong show me my error.

rip

Now to Beastmaster’s second part.

Point one, “Another thing I forgot to mention is that both east and western military structures have grown beyond a point where even a small scale conflict can destroy the economic system where both are built upon. So even if the US defeats China then it loses anyway this applies both ways because the economic impact can destroy the world economic system. So it’s in the interest of both to avoid that at all costs.”

Answer, The US does not want to defeat China, it wants to make China a partner in creating a better world of which we both will then live in. If fact our long term strategy will fail in we cannot enlist each new power in the world as they come into their own worth to help evolve and protect the world economic and political system that promotes free trade, the equality of nations, and the people that live in them. If not we will fail. If we fail the consequences are far greater than you think. China has more to lose and it has to gain by being provocative but does it realized it? But that does not mean it cannot change. As the world changes the world’s economic system must change too to remain relevant but it must keep the same goals.

Point Two, as said, “While if the US would change its policy it will mean that it cannot maintain its current status, politically and military which they cannot effort.
Which is could be a downfall for the west.”

Answer, it is the Eastern obsession with the subject of status, it is just annoying to us for that concept (of face) is not our concept. WE KNOW WHO WE ARE and we do not need anyone’s conformation to verify what we already know. If China wants to think it’s the greatest county, culture, civilization, the best people of them all, that is just fine with us as long as we get to do what we want to do and don't have to agree.

To finish I think it is helpful to state what kind of world we are trying to bring into existence. Otherwise our long term strategy will make no since and will be misunderstood.

If the US succeeds in its long term strategy, the world will be allowed to grow to its fullest potential through the mechanisms which allows all of its people to become the best that can be. In this world if it ever comes to pass, all the world's problems will not mysteriously disappear and everyone will not all have to be alike or even want to. The disparities in the exultations of life that exist today will be much smaller but will not completely disappear. The world will never be perfect simply because that would require of of the people to be perfect. But the world can be much better, safer, and more prosperous than ever before because it will be freer and freadom counts more than anything else. On that day if China has ten times as many people than does the US then it will be ten times more powerful. But in this world I am describing power will no longer grow out of the barrel of a gun.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Seems the Poms are really changing their defence strategic outlooks and moving away from the strictly UK -US plank that they have favoured since WWII. I know they are part of the FPDA . Anyway they have just forged an arrangement with France that is very similar to the UK-US one and now they are pushing for the same with India. ( UK Seeks Strategic Relationship With India - Defense News ) I can understand their reasoning but I think that it might raise a few jitters within the Pentagon because of the close relationship between India and Russia. The French sale of 4 Mistral ships to Russia won't have helped the Pentagon nerves much and they will have to be concerned about just how much US technology transferred from the UK to France and potentially India. The US does have good relations with India and the Indians are buying US military hardware like the P8 but in direct sales they do have absolute control over technological transfer.

I know that the Poms cannot pass on US technology without US approval but the Poms are just as good as, if not better than, the US in making technological break throughs. Aircraft carriers, steam catapults, radars, sonars, battleships, computers, angled flight decks, just to name but a few technological pommy inventions and innovations. So that must be a worry to the Pentagon that their perception of UK-US dominance of cutting edge military technology is going to be no longer valid.

The west has always looked at Russia (or the USSR) as backward in its technology but it was a big threat numerically. But let us not forget the Russians put the first man into space. They built the first space station, they built the second space station and were the first to move crews between two operational space stations.

My point is that we in the west have been guilty of an arrogance that our gee whiz flash tech is the best in the world when in truth it might have all the bells and whistles but in reality it may not be the best. Case in point. When I served we had the SLR which was the Pommy version of the FN rifle. The Kiwi government ever being stingy when it came to weapons bought the SLR because it had a lighter barrel to the FN so couldn't be fired in the fully automatic mode. Well a match stick fixed that. The same government also bought the M16 in the 1960's. Personally my opinion is that the M16 was rubbish and the SLR was better because it was a larger round. But like the M16 it was finely and nicely machined which is good but if it got dropped in the mud or water etc would jam. The Russians built the AK47 and it was built to be idiot proof. Ok if I was in combat I'd far rather have an AK47 because I know that short of blowing it up no matter what I did to it I could pick it up and I would be able to fire it. It was reliable. Another point; why do all Russian combat aircraft and transport aircraft have low pressure tyres fitted as stock standard? Because they can be used in a rough field capacity. Simple. Next question. Why don't western combat aircraft have that capability as stock standard?

Last edited:

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems the Poms are really changing their defence strategic outlooks and moving away from the strictly UK -US plank that they have favoured since WWII. I know they are part of the FPDA (I think it is that The AU,CA, NZ,UK, US hook up). Any they have just forged an arrangement with France that is very similar to the UK-US one and now they are pushing for the same with India. UK Seeks Strategic Relationship With India - Defense News
The FPDA is Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and the British. Came out of the failure of SEATO. The British have cottoned on to the idea that involvement in defence affiliations in the ASEAN region has benefits. Trade relationships in this wider area are of growing importance to them and defence/security dovetails into this.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The FPDA is Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and the British. Came out of the failure of SEATO. The British have cottoned on to the idea that involvement in defence affiliations in the ASEAN region has benefits. Trade relationships in this wider area are of growing importance to them and defence/security dovetails into this.
Thanks. Couldn't quite remember what it was. Yes it does dovetail in quite nicely. It is like the ADF and NZDF teaching English to Asian defence forces. I note that last year our PM has stated that a free trade agreement with India is top priority for NZ and that he and the Russian President have agreed to one and the bureaucrats have to sort the details out. I am of the opinion it would be in NZDF interest to have good collegial ties with its counterparts in the Asia Pacific region - ties that maybe independent of the politicians. If anything it is good for humint - nice to know your neighbours personally and occasionally what "mischief" they are up to.