Cuban Military

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I was interested in your topic and tried to read the post that followed. After I discovered it was mostly pro-US anti Cuban garbage I just hit the quote button. Cuba is very very strong. They are the strongest of the Latin natins and spanish-speaking nations in the Americas. They are slightly stronger than Pakistan actually. They have about 462,000 troops over 400 aircraft and over 3,000 tanks.
here is a wargames video from the Summer of this year. You've provided nothing proving there will be any more wargames in Cuba.
http://battlesworld.com/2006/10/27/...ummer-2006-manoeuvres-cubavision-news-report/
So do you think that they have full capabilities as per Pakistan.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Is it just me or is somebody else also confused about Ibizan Hound's posts here in the last period?

Strongest armed froces?
With T-35, T-55 and some T-62?
With only a handfull of operational fighters none of them really modern?
With a navy which degenerates in it's harbors?
A GDP of 30 billion and a military budget of 1,8%?
With nearly all military aid of russia being cut off since '93?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is it just me or is somebody else also confused about Ibizan Hound's posts here in the last period?

Strongest armed froces?
I found some humor in that he mentioned Cuba being stronger than Pakistan.

contedicavour

Strongest armed froces?
I just guess his sources date back from Soviet times :D
Back then it might have been plausible.
Anyway, today there's no way one can reach 3000 MBTs even by adding up the rusting hulks in some barracks' courtyards. ;)

cheers

Big-E

Banned Member
But what if the SU30s did not penetrate your airspace, and remained in international airspace flying around ? That would be nerve-breaking since you couldn't just shoot them down... though you would have to track them 24H/24 just in case they did something provocative such as going on afterburner straight for the Keys until a few miles away from your airspace ?
That's the beauty of it, the SPY output can be directed at the SU30 and blast them with high freq waves that will make them think twice before crossing the line. At full power output the SPY can do serious damage to avionics. The power output can be adjusted to whatever the threat level the intruder represents. ;)

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
The thread-starter hasn't proved that there is a wargame goin on or has been planned yet. Ths, shut up. My post wasn't nearly a flame.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Wasn't it?
Than answer to the things said here earlier.
Old tanks, old and not much planes,the same for ships, no budget, no GDP for extra aquisitions,...

Ths

Banned Member
Thanks Waylander I thought I was only me that was in error.
Quite another matter is: Why should Cuba be interested in preventing an invasion, last time I looked people tried to get AWAY from there.

A large defence doesn't really make sense on Cuba.

swerve

Super Moderator
Thanks Waylander I thought I was only me that was in error.
Quite another matter is: Why should Cuba be interested in preventing an invasion, last time I looked people tried to get AWAY from there.

A large defence doesn't really make sense on Cuba.
45 years ago, invasion by the USA was a real threat. Remember the Bay of Pigs? The military was built up, not in the hope of being able to defeat a US invasion, but to make it expensive enough that the US would think twice about it. It's worked for Switzerland & Sweden for a long time, & sort of worked for Finland. It was a perfectly logical, reasonable, standpoint.

As the threat of US invasion receded, it became useful for internal purposes to maintain the pretence that it was still real, as an excuse for jumping on dissidents, & for that you have to maintain your armed forces.

Clear?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think it was more of a joke of Ths. ;)
We know why they want a potent force.

The thing is that "somebody" said that they are the great guys of latin america with a hell of armed forces. :D

contedicavour

That's the beauty of it, the SPY output can be directed at the SU30 and blast them with high freq waves that will make them think twice before crossing the line. At full power output the SPY can do serious damage to avionics. The power output can be adjusted to whatever the threat level the intruder represents. ;)
Ah ok thks I wasn't aware that the system is that powerful... I'd love seeing those Cuban pilots ejecting from fried Sukhois :D

cheers

.pt

Then they would become flying KFC...
Can the SPY radar really do that? can´t the electronics be shielded to avoid such a thing? i ' d love to have such a microwave oven, sorry radar, in our armed forces.
Is thatonly a naval system or there are land based equivalents?
.pt