Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just an uninformed guess here but a CFT will not have the right angle traps where a pylon is hanging from a wing as such you'd think a CFT would make a lower addition to the radar signature than drop tanks. Having said that we are talking about an aircraft that already has a fairly large signature (guesswork here) compared to the 5th gen airframes is this a pretty pointless argument?
You may be right regarding the impact on RCS, I don't know nearly enough about how the whole thing works to say one way or the other.

If the modifications done under Have Glass and Have Glass II were significant enough to be considered militarily viable, I would think the signature reduction would be a pretty sizable reduction from a baseline F-16. Happy to stand corrected though, as I mentioned earlier it's hard to find decent info on the programs. :)

Also worth considering would be factors like supporting assets (EW etc), capabilities of the opposition, etc. These things will be pretty relevant as to the viability of an RCS-reduced platform.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Would the CFTs on the Block 50/52/60 F-16 increase the size of its RCS. It looks from pics that the CFTs give a different silhouetee to the aircraft with CFTs adding additional physical dimensions behind the cockpit. But perhaps the designers intended minimal radar reflection considering how important LO features are for the Americans. Inputs anyone

Thanks in advance
AFAIK the F-16 CFTs are NOT in use by the USAF and are found only export versions.

Mikestro

Conformal Tanks

It seems that conformal tanks would be a great addition to the USN/USMC F-18 fleet for buddy refueling. (I will miss the S-3)

And conformals would also increase the persistence of f-18G Growler.

Both would free up more airframes for cap or strike missions.

Also in the face of increased missile treats to USN carriers would the potential extra range offered by conformals not alleviate some of that threat by allowing the carriers to remain at a safer distance?

Toptob

Oewww I love CFT's they look so cool.

But going back to
This is conjecture but I would think they'd increase the RCS at the angles at which they're visible, yes.
Can I ask you for more conjecture then. Would it be possible to design conformal fuel tanks, or equipement pods for a lower RCS? I know the Silent Eagle has conformal weapons pods, but I gather the RCS reduction comes from it not having stuff hanging from its wings.

But could you make conformal pods for say a gripen that make it more stealthy?