Comparing PLAN to Indian Navy

jani

chinese made their nave to sink even better enemy aircraft carriers of usa they can sink them with their lattest subs which are quality and quantity wise more better they are also making new subs such as type 98 and type 90 with stealth they have low sound under sea hard to detect indian navy aircraft old and low speed if even they dettect these subs they cant sink them if you are thinking about harriers they can be sink very easily by chinese airdfefnce frighter they have low speed remember check out chinese defence sit and than posta threat that india navy is good enough indian armed forces have more quantity but no quality

Mod edit: Path: Forum rule #15 Proper punctuation is a must. Do not add excessive dots as a replacement for a comma. this....isn't really....fun..to read. also watch the spelling. [Its hrd 2 reed whn peple tipe poorly, its also trashy! This will make posts much nicer, neat and easy to read for fellow participants. This isn't done on most forums, its time you get use to it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

XEROX

Mod edit: Path: This is not the first time mods saw you throwing flame baits around. Consider this your first warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArjunMK1

jani said:
chinese made their nave to sink even better enemy aircraft carriers of usa they can sink them with their lattest subs which are quality and quantity wise more better they are also making new subs such as type 98 and type 90 with stealth they have low sound under sea hard to detect indian navy aircraft old and low speed if even they dettect these subs they cant sink them if you are thinking about harriers they can be sink very easily by chinese airdfefnce frighter they have low speed remember check out chinese defence sit and than posta threat that india navy is good enough indian armed forces have more quantity but no quality

Mod edit: Path: Forum rule #15 Proper punctuation is a must. Do not add excessive dots as a replacement for a comma. this....isn't really....fun..to read. also watch the spelling. [Its hrd 2 reed whn peple tipe poorly, its also trashy! This will make posts much nicer, neat and easy to read for fellow participants. This isn't done on most forums, its time you get use to it here.

Dear friend please post some relevant links . Also do some research !!

If you google about Chinese Navy capability , you you get plenty of sites claiming it obsolete by Western standards and incapable of operating at large distances .

Indian Navy Harriers are slower than your subs !!! Does your subs travel at Mach speed ?? :whip

Please click here : http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/china/

pshamim

Verified Defense Pro
ArjunMK1 said:

Dear friend please post some relevant links . Also do some research !!

If you google about Chinese Navy capability , you you get plenty of sites claiming it obsolete by Western standards and incapable of operating at large distances .

Indian Navy Harriers are slower than your subs !!! Does your subs travel at Mach speed ?? :whip

Please click here : http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/china/
http://www.hazegray.org/worldnav/china/
I agree Arjun. Such posts are not fact based.

Again, I must request all whether you are Indian or a Pakistani, please refrain from bashing each other. I see this a lot from both and usually statements are based on inuendos, zero sum mentality, and simple reactive nature and without any facts.

dabrownguy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
HQ-9 has a range of 300km? What do the Naval experts think? BTW personally I believe the ships airdefence capability is over rated.
Also I believe Chinese Navy doesn't have the ability to operate effectivily from the shores. I would also like to say the IN crew are better trained. That should be given.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
dabrownguy said:
HQ-9 has a range of 300km? What do the Naval experts think? BTW personally I believe the ships airdefence capability is over rated.
Also I believe Chinese Navy doesn't have the ability to operate effectivily from the shores. I would also like to say the IN crew are better trained. That should be given.
As far as I know, HQ-9 is a local copy of S-300PMU with maximum range of about 120km. I do not know where you got the 300km figure from.

ArjunMK1

S300 or HQ9 is land based anti missile/aircraft system . How Chinese navy is going to protect its ships in deep sea with coastal air defence batteries ??? :rolleyes:

And HQ9 is a poor copy of S300PMU, that is why China is bidding for a batch of S300PMU2 .

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
ArjunMK1 said:
S300 or HQ9 is land based anti missile/aircraft system . How Chinese navy is going to protect its ships in deep sea with coastal air defence batteries ??? :rolleyes:

And HQ9 is a poor copy of S300PMU, that is why China is bidding for a batch of S300PMU2 .
The official designation for Chinese produced S-300PMU is called HQ-15. HQ-9 is its naval version. S-300PMU2 has nothing to do with HQ-9 being fitted to 052C destroyer. S-300PMU2 is a land based long range air defence system, not a ship launched SAM.

ArjunMK1

Pathfinder-X said:
The official designation for Chinese produced S-300PMU is called HQ-15. HQ-9 is its naval version. S-300PMU2 has nothing to do with HQ-9 being fitted to 052C destroyer. S-300PMU2 is a land based long range air defence system, not a ship launched SAM.
Thanks. :)

China also employs Russian Shtil anti missile system for its Sovermoy and some some other ships.
Can any body give a detail of anti missile systems currently in use in PLAN and also their theoritical capability against Indian AShMs.

Indian AShM list

KH-25/SS-N-25 SSM ( Uran/Switchblade)
SS-N-2C (styx)
Kh-35 (Uran-E)
SS-NX-27 (Club)
3M54(Club-submarine )
Exocet (air launched )
Sea Eagle ( air launched )
Brahmos ( newest supersonic AShM )

qwerty223

dabrownguy;ArjunMK1,
more or less, you two are trying to downgrading chinese equipments. After I read thro' the whole thing, I found that at 1st dabrownguy tried to "upgrading" IAF then somehow ended when there is nothing much to say. Then your gun turn on to downgrading every thing that the chinese had.

common guys, be fair and not baise. Its not a discussion any more if cont like this...

zoolander

The list you guys make are not accurate. Some of you guys list obsolete ships and somehow call them modern. You also fail to include newly purchased and delievered weapons.

i would call most chinese destroyer except for the ludas to be fairly modern. That applies to some of the newly purchased russian ships in both the PLAN and IN fleets. The Indian destroyers are much like the chinese in the fact that they are in need of modernization. Most Indian destroyers except for the Dehlis and the ones with Brahmos missiles are outdated.

Both chinese and indian frigates are outdated with the exception of the Type 54s in the PLAN and the Russian frigates in the IN.

All early cold war era subs are obsolete. The Songs are largely obsolete but the type 39a ( the upgraded ones) are modern. the french and russian subs in the PLAN and IN are all modern.

As for missiles the Brahmos is king. the only problem is that not many of the indian ships can fire them. the Hq-9 does not have a 300km range. that is just absurd. It most liely has a estimated 90km range like the navalized S-300s.

kams

The Indian destroyers are much like the chinese in the fact that they are in need of modernization. Most Indian destroyers except for the Dehlis and the ones with Brahmos missiles are outdated.
Ok , Let me try to summarise the modern/ ships ordered of IN.

Destroyers:

I take it you refering to Kashin class destroyers as outdated. As I understand they are undergoing upgradation. INS Ranvijay has Barak I, and I think they are going to fit Brahmos ( 4 -8 Box launched) like they did on INS Ranjit. Atleast 3 of the 5 Kashin class destroyers will be outfitted with Barak I and Brahmos.

The 3 P-15's have Barak I , Shitil - SA-11 and KH-35 Uran (16/ship) - Brahmos in future?

P-15A (3 ordered) - Barak 1, Shitil - SA-17 and Brahmos (VLS) - 16/ship.

Frigates:

Krivak III( 3 in service) - Sam - Shtil -1 with SA-17 (24 missiles/ship). AShm - 8 cell vertical launch Klub-N, (to be replaced with 8 vertically launched Brahmos, INS Tabar will be the first one)

Modified Krivak III (3 ordered) - AShm/LACM - 8 cell Brahmos. SAM = Barak I/SA-17[Barak II ??

P-17 Shivalik (3 ordered commissioning 2007-2008) AShm/LACM - 8 cell Brahmos. SAM = Barak I/SA-17

P-16A Brahmaputra class (3 in service) - SAM - Barak I, AShM - 16 Kh-35 Uran.

Corvette -

P25A - Kora class (4 in service). AShm - Kh-35 Uran. SAM - MANPAD.

P-28 (4 units on order) - weapons - not known.

Submarine - Kilo - 10 in service , Missile - Klub-S 3M-54E

HDW (209) 4 in service

Could some one do the same for PLAN?

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator
It's kind of reall hard to say what China will have even 2 years from now. For example, as we speak, there are at least 13 type 22 FACs under construction (not counting those in the beginning of constructions), at least 2 type 054A under construction, 1 type 71 LPD and there seems to be a new 039 launched every couple of months.

As for what kind of plans does PLAN have? We won't know until we see the ships getting laid down.

contedicavour

kams said:

Destroyers:

I take it you refering to Kashin class destroyers as outdated. As I understand they are undergoing upgradation. INS Ranvijay has Barak I, and I think they are going to fit Brahmos ( 4 -8 Box launched) like they did on INS Ranjit. Atleast 3 of the 5 Kashin class destroyers will be outfitted with Barak I and Brahmos.

The 3 P-15's have Barak I , Shitil - SA-11 and KH-35 Uran (16/ship) - Brahmos in future?

Frigates:

Krivak III( 3 in service) - Sam - Shtil -1 with SA-17 (24 missiles/ship). AShm - 8 cell vertical launch Klub-N, (to be replaced with 8 vertically launched Brahmos, INS Tabar will be the first one)

Modified Krivak III (3 ordered) - AShm/LACM - 8 cell Brahmos. SAM = Barak I/SA-17[Barak II ??

P-17 Shivalik (3 ordered commissioning 2007-2008) AShm/LACM - 8 cell Brahmos. SAM = Barak I/SA-17

Corvette -

HDW (209) 4 in service

Well the Kashins remain outdated in terms of area air defence since the SA-N-1 Goa is totally obsolete. Brahmos makes them impressive anti-surface platforms and Barak gives good short range air defence.
The Delhis have better air defence with the SA-N-7 though, as I've written before, their range remains short (25km) and there are 2 launchers instead of VLS. It is strange however that they carry "only" Urans.
It's the Kolkatas that will be really good, with VLS SA-N-11 (Shtil improved) with 35km range and VLS, plus the Brahmos.

For the PLAN, the situation is pretty simple :
> 4 Sovremennys with SA-N-7 and SS-N-22 (supersonic Sunburn, range 110km or up to 180+ if it's the long range variant)
> 2 Type052C with the HQ9 SAMs and YJ-63/C-803. By the way, I agree with a comment made above, its range is 90km, not more, according to Jane's 2006/07.
> 2 Type051C with Russia's Grumble SAM
> 2 Type051B with SA-N-7
> all the others carry the Chinese copy of Crotale as SAM (Luhu, Luhai classes, some obsolete Ludas) or no SAM at all.

cheers

wp2000

kams said:

Destroyers:

Frigates:

Corvette -

HDW (209) 4 in service

PLAN, following are only ships being visually identified. There's no way to know PLAN's orders.

Destroyer
4 Fleet air defence destroyer: 2X052C and 2X051C

7 general purpose destroyer, quite similar to India's P15: 4XSov, 2X052B, 1X051B,

plus 2 less capable 052

Similar to India's 5 Kashins, PLAN is upgrading those old 051 destroyers, e.g. 16 YJ83 ASHMs, HHQ7 point defense. But frankly speaking, I don't count them as modern ships.

Although it's a fact we don't know PLAN's official future orders, we do have some rumors and you can judge them by yourself, then wait and see.

Rumor: 1X051D large destroyer, 2X052D 9KT-10KT multi purpose destroyers.

Frigate
2X054A under construction
2X054, less capable than India's Kirvak and P17.

14X 053H2/H3, relatively modern.

Another 20+ 053, which I would count them similar to India's corvettes.

Rumor: 8 more 054A ordered.

Subs
2X093 SSN, 3X091G SSN
12X Kilos,
2X039A(which is what you guys called Yuan),
14X039G,
2X039.

As we speak, last batch of 039Gs are being pumped out every 3 months. Soon 039A's mass production will start.

Other dozens of 035 and 033 mostly put into stock yard.

Amph.
23X072 4K-5KT LST

2+2X071 19KT LPD, under construction

But, India has an aircraft carrier and China has a 092 SSBN, both are outdated though. And both country are working to close the gap, e.g. India's ATV and China's AC projects.

In my view, both navies are modernising at a fast speed albeit on their own courses. PLAN and IN are facing different threat levels, hence following different strategies.

IN had enjoyed a qualitive edge until recent years, because Delhi class and Kashin class were relatively more modern than PLAN's old 051, 052 classes.

And IN introduced Kilos into service much earlier than PLAN. Plus, IN's aircraft carrier, no matter how old it is, it did provide many experiences.

PLAN only started the catch ups in the late 90s and its modernisation dramatically got sped up in the last 5 years. It seems that the high speed will remain for a while(5 years), PLAN will start to have some qualitive and quantitive edge over IN on paper. If we look 10 years into the future, it's impossible to predict given both nations fast growing economy. IN has a 3 CG dream, and PLAN also has heavy CG dreams as well. So let's enjoy the next 5 years first.

Having said that, both Navies got a long way to go if compared with traditional strong western navies, esp. the USN. So we should not get carried away too far.

contedicavour

wp2000 said:
PLAN, following are only ships being visually identified. There's no way to know PLAN's orders.

Destroyer
4 Fleet air defence destroyer: 2X052C and 2X051C

7 general purpose destroyer, quite similar to India's P15: 4XSov, 2X052B, 1X051B,

plus 2 less capable 052

Similar to India's 5 Kashins, PLAN is upgrading those old 051 destroyers, e.g. 16 YJ83 ASHMs, HHQ7 point defense. But frankly speaking, I don't count them as modern ships.

Although it's a fact we don't know PLAN's official future orders, we do have some rumors and you can judge them by yourself, then wait and see.

Rumor: 1X051D large destroyer, 2X052D 9KT-10KT multi purpose destroyers.

Frigate
2X054A under construction
2X054, less capable than India's Kirvak and P17.

14X 053H2/H3, relatively modern.

Another 20+ 053, which I would count them similar to India's corvettes.

Rumor: 8 more 054A ordered.

Subs
2X093 SSN, 3X091G SSN
12X Kilos,
2X039A(which is what you guys called Yuan),
14X039G,
2X039.

As we speak, last batch of 039Gs are being pumped out every 3 months. Soon 039A's mass production will start.

Other dozens of 035 and 033 mostly put into stock yard.

Amph.
23X072 4K-5KT LST

2+2X071 19KT LPD, under construction

But, India has an aircraft carrier and China has a 092 SSBN, both are outdated though. And both country are working to close the gap, e.g. India's ATV and China's AC projects.

In my view, both navies are modernising at a fast speed albeit on their own courses. PLAN and IN are facing different threat levels, hence following different strategies.

IN had enjoyed a qualitive edge until recent years, because Delhi class and Kashin class were relatively more modern than PLAN's old 051, 052 classes.

And IN introduced Kilos into service much earlier than PLAN. Plus, IN's aircraft carrier, no matter how old it is, it did provide many experiences.

PLAN only started the catch ups in the late 90s and its modernisation dramatically got sped up in the last 5 years. It seems that the high speed will remain for a while(5 years), PLAN will start to have some qualitive and quantitive edge over IN on paper. If we look 10 years into the future, it's impossible to predict given both nations fast growing economy. IN has a 3 CG dream, and PLAN also has heavy CG dreams as well. So let's enjoy the next 5 years first.

Having said that, both Navies got a long way to go if compared with traditional strong western navies, esp. the USN. So we should not get carried away too far.
A couple of remarks to an otherwise very accurate list :
> PLAN SSNs : it's 2 building Type 093s, and 5 obsolete Han class SSNs
> PLAN LPDs : so far I've only heard of rumours, no photos or confirmations. What data do you have on this LPD programme ?

thks

cheers

kams

WP 2000, Countedicavour, Thanks for the input. I would say that based on these figures, both IN and PLAN are very capable in their own backwaters. However are they capable of carrying out offensive operations out side these waters? I don't think so. In 5-10 years may be yes. Love to hear your openion.

aaaditya

hey guys here is a slightly dated but extremely usefull link on the warships constructed in india and their induction date as well as an overview of some future projects.

here check out this link:

http://indiannavy.nic.in/t2t2e/trans2emins/8_warship_design.htm

also according to current indian navy plans 30 naval vessels of various types are currently under construction for which firm orders have been placed. also the governement of india has recently approved in priciple a further 34 vessels,india's private sector giant larsen and toubro has now entered into ship building in a big way ,intended to cater to the shipping industry and the indian navy,they are currently utilising dutch and modern russian technology(offering licence manufacture of the russian amur or its possible derivative the russo-italian submarine being actively considered by the indian navy),the l and t had bid for the construction of the scorpene submarines for the indian navy ,however government selected mdl so as to utilise the facilities lying idle at mdl(hdw 209 sub construction facility).

contedicavour

kams said:
WP 2000, Countedicavour, Thanks for the input. I would say that based on these figures, both IN and PLAN are very capable in their own backwaters. However are they capable of carrying out offensive operations out side these waters? I don't think so. In 5-10 years may be yes. Love to hear your openion.
For the moment only the Indian Navy has power projection capabilities, because of its carrier and large number of modern escorts.
China could get the Varyag operational (somehow, money not being a limitation for them), but India will have in 2009 the ex Gorshkov and in 2012 the enlarged Cavour carrier. So India is likely to maintain a lead on power projection capabilities vs China.

cheers

tphuang

Super Moderator
WP2000, you are putting a lot of rumoured stuff in there. As I said, PLAN is expanding very fast. You really can't know for sure what they are building until you see one of those pictures coming out. So, as of now, we've seen one picture of type 071 LPD, but that's it.

As for power projection, I think you would need a carrier/LHD, good ASW capability on escorting ships, good AAW capability (have a mixture of area defence and close in defence), attacking subs (SSN), good amphibious capability. And frankly, aside from the USN and possibly RN and FN, nobody else have that.

For the PLAN, the situation is pretty simple :
> 4 Sovremennys with SA-N-7 and SS-N-22 (supersonic Sunburn, range 110km or up to 180+ if it's the long range variant)
- Russians reportedly have offered to upgrade 956E to EM standard. currently, the EMs use 9M317 SAM and 3M80MBE as SSM as opposed to 9M38 and 3M80ME on E
> 2 Type052C with the HQ9 SAMs and YJ-63/C-803. By the way, I agree with a comment made above, its range is 90km, not more, according to Jane's 2006/07.
- not such thing as C-803 and YJ-63 is not AshM. it uses the domestic equivalent of YJ-62. The range of HQ-9 is 150-200 km, Janes is not perfect. For example, it totally miscounted the number of ka-28s in China.
> 2 Type051C with Russia's Grumble SAM
- rif-M, not the original rif
> 2 Type051B with SA-N-7
- you mean 052B? They use 9M317 again not 9M38
> all the others carry the Chinese copy of Crotale as SAM (Luhu, Luhai classes, some obsolete Ludas) or no SAM at all.