Comparing anti-missile systems in the world

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Just out of curiousity, is ANY of the ABM system (in planning or deployement) capable of intercepting the FOBS (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System) such as the r-36o ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/r-36o.htm
That requires for the the system to be exoatmospheric and be able to handle intercept vekocities of 7,800 m/s. At least the GMD should be able to handle that.

But it would be easier with a dedicated ASAT. Wrong thread, btw. ;)

Patzek

Well, as someone who is very much familier with the Arrow 2 and also with the basic changes in the Arrow 3 system, I can say that I would go for the Arrow.

As someone here already said, this is the only system in the world that was tested properly and was prooved damn good.
In December 2005 I think was the last test of the Arrow 2 againts a ballistic missiles coming from Iran, a very high speed missiles ( Mach 8.5 if I remember correctly ) that changed it course during the test few times, and the Arrow didn't had any problem calculating the new course each time and intrecepted the missile with 100% success.

Never, in any test, an ABM system have accomplished such thing.

I wont say that the Arrow doesn't have bad sides, like the high cost of each missile that it is a problem for country such as Israel, that needs it the most but doesn't have the budget for it.

Also, I think that the Arrow mobility system ( an Arrow battery mounted on vehicle ) is not very good.
And the reason is very simple, that in a country like Israel it doesn't matter where you put the battery, in a speed of Mach 9.5 the missile will work the same from anywhere.

I know there's 1 mobile Arrow battery in the Israeli south, but I do not know how does it work, but I heared its not anything like the S-300 or S-400..

contedicavour

Well, as someone who is very much familier with the Arrow 2 and also with the basic changes in the Arrow 3 system, I can say that I would go for the Arrow.

As someone here already said, this is the only system in the world that was tested properly and was prooved damn good.
In December 2005 I think was the last test of the Arrow 2 againts a ballistic missiles coming from Iran, a very high speed missiles ( Mach 8.5 if I remember correctly ) that changed it course during the test few times, and the Arrow didn't had any problem calculating the new course each time and intrecepted the missile with 100% success.

I wont say that the Arrow doesn't have bad sides, like the high cost of each missile that it is a problem for country such as Israel, that needs it the most but doesn't have the budget for it.

Also, I think that the Arrow mobility system ( an Arrow battery mounted on vehicle ) is not very good.
And the reason is very simple, that in a country like Israel it doesn't matter where you put the battery, in a speed of Mach 9.5 the missile will work the same from anywhere.

I know there's 1 mobile Arrow battery in the Israeli south, but I do not know how does it work, but I heared its not anything like the S-300 or S-400..
I'm astonished a missile can reach Mach 9.5 speeds ... Mach 4 yes (Aster 30), but here you're talking more than twice the speed !? :unknown

cheers

dioditto

I'm astonished a missile can reach Mach 9.5 speeds ... Mach 4 yes (Aster 30), but here you're talking more than twice the speed !? :unknown

cheers
That depends on the missile. Is it flying up or flying down. :)
Ballistic Missile on terminal phase can reach upto Mach 14+ since there is gravity, and it's accelerating under freefall from extremely high altitude. The anti-ballistic missile flying up to meet it is essentially swimming against the current.

DoC_FouALieR

just found out that Russian S-400 is capable o intercepting missile with speeds up to 4800m/s whitch is equivalent of 3500 km missile range surpasing by far Arrow/Patriot/S-300PMU1/2/3 and even mighty Antey 2500.
Never heard about the Antey 2500. Could you give me some piece of information about it, Viktor?

Viktor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never heard about the Antey 2500. Could you give me some piece of information about it, Viktor?
I was inactive for a while.
Antey-2500 is basicly highly modernised S-300V called S-300VM. Its nicname Antey-2500 means Antey company produced it with the ability to take down balistic missiles with the range up to 2500km.

There is plenty more information around. Use google little.

killbill2

Persoanllima go with a nice old fashioned system

NIKE X although i woudl take it with the Spartan missile.

Building on the ABRES experience, the NIKE-X system that emerged in 1963-64 was a revolutionary advance in ABM technologies combining a powerful, multi-aperture phased array radar (MAR), an IBM 360 type computer, and a high acceleration missile (SPRINT) for low altitude intercepts. NIKE-X was designed against MIRVs with high performance RVs, while the computer and the SPRINT interceptor took advantage of atmospheric filtering to discriminate precision engineered decoys and other countermeasures. The MAR radar combined battle management, target and interceptor tracking functions and was highly resistant to nuclear effects. The only high confidence way to overcome the NIKE-X system was to exhaust the stock of interceptors with real RVs.
http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/congress/1996_h/h960927l.htm

The notion that nuclear interceptors kncok out your own radars is just aload of BS. ANyways if we deployed this ssytem the Soviets would respond with a nuclea arms buildup and lets not forget there are cheap countermeasures against this such as MARV's(think TOPOL M and you'll know what i am talking about).

But its not deployed so I pick the GBI/THAAD combo.

Viktor

Persoanllima go with a nice old fashioned system

NIKE X although i woudl take it with the Spartan missile.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/congress/1996_h/h960927l.htm

The notion that nuclear interceptors kncok out your own radars is just aload of BS. ANyways if we deployed this ssytem the Soviets would respond with a nuclea arms buildup and lets not forget there are cheap countermeasures against this such as MARV's(think TOPOL M and you'll know what i am talking about).

But its not deployed so I pick the GBI/THAAD combo.

There has been work on new propulsion systems for the Topol-M which may enable it to evade a kinetic anti-ballistic missile.

The missile is claimed by its designers to be immune to any planned US ABM defense. It is said to be capable of making evasive maneuvers to avoid a kill by terminal phase interceptors, and is likely to carry targeting countermeasures and decoys. It is shielded against radiation, EMP, nuclear blasts in distances less than 500 meters, and is designed to survive a hit from any laser technology.

This is not cheap!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topol_M

Grand Danois

Entertainer
THAAD enters production and is to be deployed 2009.

LOCKHEED MARTIN RECEIVES $619 MILLION CONTRACT TO BEGIN PRODUCTION OF THAAD WEAPON SYSTEM

DALLAS, TX, January 3, 2007 --

Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has been awarded a $619 million contract from the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) to begin production of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) Weapon System. The contract for the first two THAAD fire units includes 48 interceptors, six launchers and two fire control and communications units. The system is scheduled for fielding in Fiscal Year 2009.

[...]

Lockheed Martin press release
Also this:

Israel may replace Arrow missile defense system with U.S. version

ahussains

Russian Systems

Arrow is good one ,, what about the chinees systems what they have and what they are devolping may be buy some devlop or any half complete project from russia ... :confused:

cheetah

Damm those iranians are ahead of British tech in there missiles:shudder .and that mack 8.5 speeds.just 1 question mate who did the iranians fired that Missile at.
Last i checked the only missile americans menaged to shoot down was completely modified and had a homing beacon installed on it.even then its not a 100% kill.as far as iam concerned shooting a bullet with a bullet will never ever be 100% kill and with the new generation of missile and decoy war heads.it will stay a dream.

Patzek

Damm those iranians are ahead of British tech in there missiles:shudder .and that mack 8.5 speeds.just 1 question mate who did the iranians fired that Missile at.
Last i checked the only missile americans menaged to shoot down was completely modified and had a homing beacon installed on it.even then its not a 100% kill.as far as iam concerned shooting a bullet with a bullet will never ever be 100% kill and with the new generation of missile and decoy war heads.it will stay a dream.

It was a test, it wasn't a real iranian missile, it was Israeli missile beeing fired at Israel's direction from above Jordan.

Few days ago, the THAAD managed to shoot down a SCUD. Very nice progress if you ask me.

shimmy

Thaad

At which stage of development is THAAD ? Have all tests done seem to justify further R&D ? Is a"Three phase deterent" a real possibility ? Or are we still way further ahead on offense than on deense ?

Viktor

It was a test, it wasn't a real iranian missile, it was Israeli missile beeing fired at Israel's direction from above Jordan.

Few days ago, the THAAD managed to shoot down a SCUD. Very nice progress if you ask me.
Well Scuds are like V-2 rockets for ages present around here so intercepting 300km range rocket is not big deal - US has still testing to do.
As I understand US is intoducing in the service ABM systems whitch are still unproven but they hope to upgrade it during time, same as for GBI.

Jambo_100

The UKs answer?

what does britain use to defend from ballistic missiles? the US patriot is quite widespread, why dont our government use it? the governments job is to defend its people and as far as im aware the UK has no ICBM defence.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Last edited by a moderator:

Grand Danois

Entertainer
what does britain use to defend from ballistic missiles? the US patriot is quite widespread, why dont our government use it? the governments job is to defend its people and as far as im aware the UK has no ICBM defence.
The only BMD capable of handling an ICBM at the moment is probably the GMD, which so far is only deployed to protect the US. A similar system is what is being proposed for Europe, which will cover the UK from BM launches from ME and most of North Africa, IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-Based_Midcourse_Defense

THAAD is supposed to be able to deal with the shorter ranged ICBM, 5500km+, perhaps the JL-2 is included. That's why the test are quite interesting.

Jambo_100

Missile defence

The only BMD capable of handling an ICBM at the moment is probably the GMD, which so far is only deployed to protect the US. A similar system is what is being proposed for Europe, which will cover the UK from BM launches from ME and most of North Africa, IIRC.

THAAD is supposed to be able to deal with the shorter ranged ICBM, 5500km+, perhaps the JL-2 is included. That's why the test are quite interesting.

who is this new system built by? where abouts will it be based and which countries are funding it? do you know how long it will be before it enters service if it ever does. I doubt the british government will support it, the amount of defence cuts we are getting is outragous. I thought that the patriot and other missiles like the israeli arrow could also shoot down ballistic missiles. correct me if im wrong.

could you give me a bit of info on the THAAD system, a website or your own personal knowledge? thanks!!