Catching my ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I ain't lyin':D ..Sometimes when I wuz at HC-11 at NASNI maintaince control would plan to make them walk it twice. So what could I do???? My azz hadda to be there too.
--------------------------------------
Back to CVN-74..maybe these three female sailors are waiting for Big E to return to the ship? I hope not. His wife would not like that! Plus that's no SBug! As an added note I was on only one ship that allowed anyone on the fantail during aircraft recovery. That was the JFK(CVA-67) in '72 & '73.

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=42393

Pacific Ocean (Jan. 23, 2007) - Sailors shield their eyes from the sun as they watch an incoming F/A-18C on the fantail of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74). Stennis is conducting carrier qualifications with embarked Carrier Air Wing Nine (CVW-9) off the coast of Southern California prior to transiting west to bolster security in U.S. Central Command area of operations.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Well it appears that CVN-74 along with our man "Big E" is on his way to the Persian Gulf region. CVN-74 did not stop in Hawaii. And it looks though they will speed right past any port in the Pacific..that sucks. :( I checked the CV schedules for the PAC Fleet since 9/11/2001..

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/gonavy/atsugi/gonavy604.html

...and all the west coast CVN's heading to the gulf Region always make a pit stop somewhere in the Pacific before they enter the 5th command area...curious...

I also just read that CVN-69 the Eisenhower is back in the Gulf region after a breif stint off the Horn of Africa.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118607&ran=116829

Think about it.:confused: :rolleyes:

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=27556

John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group Arrives in 7th Fleet
Story Number: NNS070201-09
Release Date: 2/1/2007 3:33:00 PM

By Lt. Nathan Christensen, Deputy Public Affairs Officer, USS John C. Stennis Public Affairs

USS JOHN C. STENNIS, At Sea (NNS) -- The USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) Carrier Strike Group (JCSSG) entered the U.S. 7th Fleet’s area of responsibility (AOR) Jan. 31, as part of a deployment to promote peace, regional cooperation and stability.

While Stennis and the rest of the strike group, led by Rear Adm. Kevin Quinn, is scheduled to transit from 7th Fleet to U.S. Central Command to provide support for coalition forces operating there, JCSSG remains ready to respond to any mission in any theatre of operation.

“Our strike group provides an agile, flexible, responsive and robust set of capabilities ranging from humanitarian assistance all the way up through major combat operations,” said Quinn, commander, Carrier Strike Group Three (CCSG 3). “We have spent a year preparing for this deployment and we are ready for whatever tasking comes our way.”

Since the beginning of 2006, JCSSG has completed multiple training events, qualifications and inspections, leading up to certification as a combat-ready strike group.

“Though we are planning to simply transit through the Pacific en route the Persian Gulf, we are prepared to respond to any emergent tasking in the Pacific Command area of operations,” said Quinn.

The ship will remain postured to render aid in the region if needed, in support of Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet’s goal of delivering responsive, short-term readiness.

JCSSG is comprised of Commander, CSG 3, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 21, the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Stennis, the guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54), the guided-missile destroyers USS Preble (DDG 88) and USS O’Kane (DDG 77), the fast combat-support ship USNS Bridge (T-AOE 10), and Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit 11, Det. 11. In all, more than 6,000 Sailors are currently assigned to JCSSG.

Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet is permanently embarked aboard USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19), which is forward deployed to Yokosuka, Japan. The 7th Fleet AOR includes more than 52 million square miles of the Pacific and Indian oceans -- stretching from the international date line to the east coast of Africa, and from the Kuril Islands in the north to the Antarctic in the south.

More than half of the world's population lives within the 7th Fleet AOR. In addition, more than 80 percent of that population lives within 500 miles of the oceans, which means this is an inherently maritime region.

“We are ready; we are sustainable; we are flexible; and we provide awesome combat capability,” said Quinn.

JCSSG is headed west to provide support for U.S. and coalition forces operating in the 5th Fleet and will support Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, be prepared to take part in Horn of Africa operations, and conduct maritime security operations (MSO).

Coalition forces conduct MSO under international maritime conventions to ensure security and safety in international waters so that all commercial shipping can operate freely while transiting the region.

For related news, visit the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) Navy NewsStand page at www.news.navy.mil/local/cvn74/.

contedicavour

Well it appears that CVN-74 along with our man "Big E" is on his way to the Persian Gulf region. CVN-74 did not stop in Hawaii. And it looks though they will speed right past any port in the Pacific..that sucks. :( I checked the CV schedules for the PAC Fleet since 9/11/2001..

...and all the west coast CVN's heading to the gulf Region always make a pit stop somewhere in the Pacific before they enter the 5th command area...curious...

I also just read that CVN-69 the Eisenhower is back in the Gulf region after a breif stint off the Horn of Africa.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118607&ran=116829

Think about it.:confused: :rolleyes:
In Washington DC they must be in a hell of a hurry to have the 2 carrier battle groups ready in the Gulf. I agree that's not reassuring at all since it means the US fears imminent Iranian provocative gestures... :(
Let's hope that the sheer might of 2 carrier battle groups will calm down hotheads in Teheran

cheers

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In Washington DC they must be in a hell of a hurry to have the 2 carrier battle groups ready in the Gulf. I agree that's not reassuring at all since it means the US fears imminent Iranian provocative gestures... :(
Let's hope that the sheer might of 2 carrier battle groups will calm down hotheads in Teheran

cheers
You said an mouthful my friend. Lets hope cooler heads prevail.

But ....I was checking the CV schedules....

...and to my experienced eye it appears that from the east coast Enterprise & Roosevelt appear to be in a surge status and could deploy. On the west coast Nimitz also appears to be in a surge status...curious...:confused:

We shall have to stand by and see what happens....

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
You said an mouthful my friend. Lets hope cooler heads prevail.

But ....I was checking the CV schedules....

...and to my experienced eye it appears that from the east coast Enterprise & Roosevelt appear to be in a surge status and could deploy. On the west coast Nimitz also appears to be in a surge status...curious...:confused:

We shall have to stand by and see what happens....
What are the features of a carrier when its in in surge status that are different to that of a normal home based carrier?

Cheers

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What is surge status?

Global security explains it well;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/frp.htm

Simply put >> It is the ablity to deploy a full trained CSG on as little as 30 days notice. I understand that a CSG could in certain situations deploy in less than two weeks.

An CV, airwing & Strike group have to go through a series of excersises to be certified to be deployed. They need be trained as a team in other words.

Last edited:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
What is surge status?

Global security expalains it well;

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/frp.htm

Simply put >> It is the ablity to deploy a full trained CSG on as little as 30 days notice. I understand that a CSG could in certain situations deploy in less than two weeks.

An CV, airwing & Strike group have to go through a series of excersises to be certified to be deployed. They need be trained as a team in other words.
Thanks for the info and the link. BTW I keep finding more and more interesting info in Global Security. I wonder how long it would take to read it all! :D

With the current tempo of activity around the carriers, it certainly seems like something is about to happen, or at least that the navy is making sure it will be ready to support whatever action is determined.

Cheers

Last edited:

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
So this thread won't be forever lost I have followed CVN-74 to the Persain Gulf region. They arrived on station yesterday. I wonder how Big E is doing??? Anyone know????:confused:

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=27905

USS John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group Arrives in 5th Fleet
Story Number: NNS070220-07
Release Date: 2/20/2007 12:16:00 PM

By Lt. Nathan Christensen, Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/Commander, U.S. 5th Fleet

USS JOHN C. STENNIS, At Sea (NNS) -- The USS John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSSG) entered the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOO) Feb.19 to conduct Maritime Security Operations (MSO) in regional waters, as well as to provide support for ground forces operating in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Led by Rear Adm. Kevin Quinn, Commander, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 3, the strike group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON)21, the guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54), guided-missile destroyers USS O’Kane (DDG 77) and USS Preble (DDG 88), and the fast combat-support ship USNS Bridge (T-AOE 10). More than 6,500 Sailors and Marines are assigned to JCSSG.

“The USS John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group is here to help foster stability and security in the region,” said Quinn. “We look forward to working with our coalition partners to provide support for ground forces operating in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as conducting maritime security operations that help provide a safe environment for shipping within the region. We are ready, we are sustainable, we are flexible and we provide significant capabilities that contribute to regional peace and security.”

MSO help set the conditions for security and stability in the maritime environment, as well as complement the counter-terrorism and security efforts of regional nations. These operations deny international terrorists use of the maritime environment as a venue for attack or to transport personnel, weapons or other material.

U.S. 5th Fleet’s AOO encompasses 2.5 million square miles of water and includes the Arabian Gulf, Arabian Sea, Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman and parts of the Indian Ocean.

For related news, visit the Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command/Commander, U.S. 5th Fleet Navy NewsStand page at www.news.navy.mil/local/cusnc/.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Message Relay

This was an email he wanted me to post here.

To: Vicky
For: DefenseTalk

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5700

Sorry for going AWOL on you guys but fighting for bandwidth to author a well thought out post just isn't possible in this MSO and it's satellite coverage. The weather is dry and hot, I've used several bottles of eye drops as they never seem to get the humidity level right on my deck. The food is better than I remembered but I haven't been quick to make friends. I haven't run into anyone who I have served with prior to this deployment... weird. I hit the galley during odd hours to avoid the lines, I love how convenient it is to get chow that way. I'm assigned to training and safety for the squadron. I love these billets as this is what I did in Beaufort. I have been reading the thread and am perplexed by a couple of you. It was obvious I needed CQs considering I haven't done CATOBAR in ages. You gentlemen are in the Navy so you should know how this works by now. ;) They weren't pretty but it was good enough to get me on board. I can tell you one thing... no one knows NATOPS like I do and I don't let anyone break the smallest procedure. I have won accolades from the AirBoss so I feel appreciated around here at least... others call me anal but they can go jump. I can't say where we are or where we're going.

Peace Out DT!

Last edited:

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ditto,

You should make friends with the cook(s) in the mess you go to. Everyone knows the cook or he knows them.:D

cheers

w

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Im a bit "perplexed" knowing how things work in the Navy.

You dont just jump in an aircraft fly cross-country and join a squadron literally days before it deploys.

As the squadron has been working up for at least a year.

Also I checked and no CQ for pilots are held on the eve of a deployment.

And you certainly dont become either a safety or training officer instantly and most assuredly not both for a squadron that had completed all preparations for deployment.

There is something very,very wrong here.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I hit the galley during odd hours to avoid the lines, I love how convenient it is to get chow that way
The galley? Whay happened to the wardroom? Which ward room to you chow down in? Honestly I only remember officers calling the where they eat the wardroom....

It was obvious I needed CQs considering I haven't done CATOBAR in ages. You gentlemen are in the Navy so you should know how this works by now.
And that's the rub..I do...I never heard a pilot call a "cat shot" & "trap" a CATOBAR. Never.

I was an ordie for 11 years and a "PR" for 9. I worked with Naval Avaitors in all my 20 years of service. I poured CDR Randy "Duke" Cunningham last helmet when he was CO of VF-126. He's in prison now ya' know.

No offense intended. I do not understand why you are using this terminolgy. Maybe that's the new Navy & the NATOPS in you.

Question for you..Where's your stateroom? General location...Thanks?

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The galley? Whay happened to the wardroom? Which ward room to you chow down in? Honestly I only remember officers calling the where they eat the wardroom....

And that's the rub..I do...I never heard a pilot call a "cat shot" & "trap" a CATOBAR. Never.

I was an ordie for 11 years and a "PR" for 9. I worked with Naval Avaitors in all my 20 years of service. I poured CDR Randy "Duke" Cunningham last helmet when he was CO of VF-126. He's in prison now ya' know.

No offense intended. I do not understand why you are using this terminolgy. Maybe that's the new Navy & the NATOPS in you.

Question for you..Where's your stateroom? General location...Thanks?
This is total BS poppy. Just because a fellow uses different terminolgy to you means absolute shite. You come on here and lay claims to 20 years "that" and in your great experience "this" which gives the impression you think your shit doesn't stink like the rest of us. If you wish to determine a person's legitimacy you PM him/her and not in public.

As to your supposed seatime, even if you had 20 years in the USN it doesn't wash with some of us here, as anything to write home about.

I PMed Big E a while back asking his opnion on certain aspects on the rhino's systems and he answered as only a pilot could. So I think you had better pull your head in and have a long and serious think about how to brush your teeth without poking your ass up above the wash basin rather then spending your time attempting to defame a person fighting for our country.

cheers and with much love and respect

w

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Folks, lets not get personal here?

As far as Big-E is concerned: He did send me his certificate, photo, etc. from US navy, showing him as a trained/certified pilot for US navy. Now, there have been questions about his service after that (partly due to Big-E's attitude and the way he posts) and those are still under consideration/investigation by myself and I am also seeking help from friends here on the forum and else where as well as staying cool and let this thing play out as long as it could...

Big-E did post while he should be away and his IP address is infact different from what it usually is when he is in the states. I don't know who is the internet service provider used by the DoD on the aircraft carriers to determine if the post was really made from an aircraft carrier/DoD facility.

This should not become a problem for members. It is our (administrations) problem and if there is anything misleading or inaccurate, it will be investigated as we did in the past and we will let you know as well. There is really no need to lose your cool over this. :)

Thank you and keep enjoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.