Can singapore hold its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

long live usa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Snayke said:
It would be much wiser for China instead to get closer to Singapore and other nations militarily, politically, culturally, whatever. And again, it would be a disaster oil supply wise, as that's where they get their oil from. Singapore basically has no threats unless all allies refused to help and a coalition of nations invaded Singapore.

---ADD
"Today, a career military force of 20,000 is supplemented by 55,000 men on active National Service. Another 225,000 reservists who have completed active National Service and are placed on a 10 years stand-by period."

Whoever said 400,000 soldiers in their army was way off. :p Their air force fighter assets are nearly as big as Australia's. That says a lot for such a smaller nation in size and population.
72,000 regular army troops 418,000 counting reserves and paramilitary(the source i read this from was as far as i know up to date)

marxist_command

long live usa said:
with a total strength of 418,000 troops that are well trained i think they could easily survive an intial attack, but do to its size im not sure about a pro longed conflict(we'll say there being atacked by indonesia or china higly unlikely i know) i dont think they could strike back offensively in any big way so the main point of the thread is how long do you think singapore could hold out without any assistance?
HEi, pretty impresive I must admit. Singapore maybe gain supreme in Fighter Planes matter. But don't forget that theiy only have small Islands. I believe Indonesia will be able to do much destruction. In one condition. We won't sent out our fighter and flankers. I think our KOPASSUS will do the job. They have capabilities in urban area fighting.:argue

Ozzy Blizzard

marxist_command said:
HEi, pretty impresive I must admit. Singapore maybe gain supreme in Fighter Planes matter. But don't forget that theiy only have small Islands. I believe Indonesia will be able to do much destruction. In one condition. We won't sent out our fighter and flankers. I think our KOPASSUS will do the job. They have capabilities in urban area fighting.:argue
Mate, you want to try an amphibious assault, in battlespace dominated by an air force that capable with unarmed Flankers, against 300 000 odd well trained, equiped and determined troops? Even if kapassos formations made it ashore (we'll say that they swam) you've only got 2500 of them, and i dont know how effective they really are (i know some of them were trained buy Aussie SAS so they must be ok). Anyway within half an hour people would be eating dinner by candle light in Jakarta cus the power would be out (due to RSAF air strikes). And remember, if indonesia tried it, you would see Pig's fly, with kangaroos painted on the side! I think indonesian armed forces need to make a GIGANTIC leap in capabilities before they could hope see Singapore's priseteen streets.:loony

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ozzy Blizzard said:
(i know some of them were trained buy Aussie SAS so they must be ok).
We've trained their Kopassus CTU units (which are their elite units and shouldn't be confused with average Kopassus soldiers) . we don't have much to do with their ordinary Kopassus regulars.

I can't see Indonesia getting anywhere against the Singaporeans. At the most basic and yet most important level, they fail the logistics tests - let alone the far more complex other issues required to go to war.

warfare is a bit more complicated than it was even 15years ago - Singapore is highly regarded for very good reason.

Big-E

Banned Member
marxist_command said:
How will your forces get to the island?:eek: If you try amphib landings your LSTs will be sunk before they leave port. Even if you can insert Kopassus they will never be able to cripple the Singaporian AF. They have bases throughout the South Pacific sharing bases with several countries. Indonesia would have half a dozen enemies arrayed against her.

Cootamundra

marxist_command said:
:eek:nfloorl:Crazy talk old boy......

Ding

marxist_command said:
dude, back in the fifties, when the malaysian armed forces was embryonic, you couldnt even mount an effective confrontation. let alone now with singapore. sheeeesshh.

Now, this is just pure hypothetical, which country do you think in asia, that is even remotely close to the capability of singapore armed forces? although I'm malaysian, i dont think my country is to that level yet. Army is comparable, airforce and navy, not yet. So you can check malaysia out of the list.

ps... i love my country's armed forces, but hey gotta be realistic here!

Last edited:

Schumacher

The 145 Sqn with F-16D Blk 52 are operational.
Not as advanced as the latest Blk60 ordered by Qatar or UAE but certainly the best in Asia.

Title : RSAF's most advanced fighter squadron now fully operational
By :
Date : 24 May 2006 1857 hrs (SST)
URL : http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/210092/1/.html

SINGAPORE : Singapore's newest and most advanced fighter jet squadron is now fully operational.

The 145 Squadron took only 10 months to achieve its operational status after receiving its 20th and final jet in June last year.

It is also a significant milestone in the RSAF's development as a third generation air force.

The operational capabilities of the 145 Squadron and its F16 D Block 52 Plus fighters are so advanced that two flight crew are needed to fly complex and demanding missions.

This version of the F16 is also the most advanced in the RSAF, able to perform multiple roles.

With bigger tanks, it flies further. And using advanced targeting systems, its precision strike ability is second to none.

"The combination of these capabilities has enhanced the aircraft to be assigned missions in which we penetrate deep into the enemy's air defences and take out targets that are critical to the SAF," said Lt Col Lim Tuang Liang, Commanding Officer of the 145 Squadron.

Housed within the airframe are also improved radars, allowing better tracking and detection of enemy targets.

But it is the use of a pilot and a weapons system officer (WSO) that makes the 145 Squadron unique in the RSAF.

"The dual crew concept which the RSAF first experimented with six years ago has transformed the way our fighter jets are employed. This has enhanced the RSAF's contribution to the increasingly complex way, in which the third generation SAF will have to operate in a tightly integrated manner in a networked environment which brings together the air, land and maritime dimensions," said Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean.

"When we go in a strike mission, I'll be the guy operating the target pod to deliver the precision strike weapons, so that is my main role. During an air-to-air fight, I serve as an extra set of eyes where I'll keep a lookout for bandits, aggressors and tell the pilot exactly where to manoeuvre," said Captain Suresh Haridas, Weapons System Officer of the 145 Squadron.

For the first time in RSAF's history, all the F16Ds were flown home to Singapore from Texas by its own aircrew.

The 16,000 km journey back to Changi Airbase East took more than 21 hours and 7 mid-air refuellings.

- CNA /ls

Copyright © 2006 MCN International Pte Ltd
<< back to channelnewsasia.com

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Schumacher said:
Not as advanced as the latest Blk60 ordered by Qatar or UAE but certainly the best in Asia.
I'd probably have to disagree with that. ;)

The Singaporeans are basically running weasel packages - and at the ewarfare level they have a far more comprehensive integrated capability.

They have extensive and long standing tech transfer with the israelis, and a lot of work was done on their F-16's post US receipt.

Ozzy Blizzard

Ding said:
Now, this is just pure hypothetical, which country do you think in asia, that is even remotely close to the capability of singapore armed forces?
[/I]
The ADF is probably the only regional power that could effectively threaten Singapour (not that it would EVER happen, and apart from Japan, India and China without U.S. intervention), and only with full Indonesian/Malaysian co-operation. But you'd have to see some massive mobilization before we could hope to take their ground forces on.

Ding

Ozzy Blizzard said:
The ADF is probably the only regional power that could effectively threaten Singapour (not that it would EVER happen, and apart from Japan, India and China without U.S. intervention), and only with full Indonesian/Malaysian co-operation. But you'd have to see some massive mobilization before we could hope to take their ground forces on.
hmmm... point taken. wow, gives you a better perspective on Singapore, doenst it?

Ozzy Blizzard

looks like thet've got a bit of an Isralie complex. Small nation surrounded by potential enemies (i know the middle east is alot differnt from south east asia) and armed to the teath.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ozzy Blizzard said:
looks like thet've got a bit of an Isralie complex. Small nation surrounded by potential enemies (i know the middle east is alot differnt from south east asia) and armed to the teath.
Singapore had very very strong links with the Israelis when they State was created. In fact they approached the Israelis for modelling of their defence force.

the view being that the State had the potential to be surrounded by hostile islamic neighbours (based on issues like Konfrontassi and their own racial experiences) So israel was seen as a good fit for military modelling and advice. They had resident israeli advisers for some years - and the links are still very very strong.

You can see strong Israeli influence in the airforce and navy structures and doctrine, platform types and equipment types. anti-armour is also very strongly influenced by Israeli advisers.

Their force structure and planning similarity is no mere coincidence.

Snayke

Not too sure you could say Singapore is surrounded by potential enemies. I mean, I don't think their relations with their neighbours are strained at all. I don't know too much about their history, but were there any conflicts between Singapore and any of her neighbours?

contedicavour

Snayke said:
Not too sure you could say Singapore is surrounded by potential enemies. I mean, I don't think their relations with their neighbours are strained at all. I don't know too much about their history, but were there any conflicts between Singapore and any of her neighbours?
Tensions at the time of separation from Malaysia aside, no conflicts with neighbors.
Seriously, besides piracy in the Malacca straits, or terrorist attacks since several USN ships are stationed in Singapore, I don't see any threats.
Indonesia and Malaysia would profit from cooperating with Singapore to enhance security. Having the new Singaporean modified Lafayette class frigates, E2C AWACS, etc available for patrol would be a huge boost.

cheers

Schumacher

Snayke said:
Yes, Singapore's relations with Malaysia & Indonesia are nowhere near as tense as those Israel's with its neighbours.
Plus Singapore has no land link with them which somewhat negates the traditional disadvantages of being a small state with small population.

Snayke

Hell, it doesn't seem their population limits their military much. I think their air force is just as capable or more than Australia's and it's infantry sure outnumbers ours even though our population is 5 times bigger.

Schumacher

Snayke said:
Hell, it doesn't seem their population limits their military much. I think their air force is just as capable or more than Australia's and it's infantry sure outnumbers ours even though our population is 5 times bigger.
Australia is protected by its huge land mass & of course the sea.
But for S'pore, if anything gets through, the situation will be dire.
In fact, if S'pore were to have land borders with its neighbours, it'd be in far worse situation than Israel where the land borders are open desert, perfect situation for the superior air force to hit the opposing land forces . In South East Asia, it's rainforests, good for land forces to advance while evading attacks from superior air force.

LazerLordz

Verified Defense Pro
Snayke said:
It would be much wiser for China instead to get closer to Singapore and other nations militarily, politically, culturally, whatever. And again, it would be a disaster oil supply wise, as that's where they get their oil from. Singapore basically has no threats unless all allies refused to help and a coalition of nations invaded Singapore.

---ADD
"Today, a career military force of 20,000 is supplemented by 55,000 men on active National Service. Another 225,000 reservists who have completed active National Service and are placed on a 10 years stand-by period."

Whoever said 400,000 soldiers in their army was way off. :p Their air force fighter assets are nearly as big as Australia's. That says a lot for such a smaller nation in size and population.

It's closer to 600-700k of recallable strength. 418k is the fighting/combat fit component.

We've had conscrption since 1967. And if you total up the strength, and take into account that 18-55 is the range of the recallable age..

Status
Not open for further replies.