British Suicide Lethal Defence Policy Under Labour Government

contedicavour

How many navalized F35B are planned by the UK ?
That number could be a very good indicator of how many Queen Elisabeth class carriers will be built.... > 60 means 2 carriers, < 40 means one ;)

cheers

Grand Danois

Entertainer
contedicavour said:
How many navalized F35B are planned by the UK ?
That number could be a very good indicator of how many Queen Elisabeth class carriers will be built.... > 60 means 2 carriers, < 40 means one ;)
cheers
Not necessarily. The < 40 could also mean a smaller fixed wing element of the embarked air group, with a potential for a surge to the 36 possible.

And I would wager the CVF can take much more than 40 aircraft anyway.

The real question is, since the CVF supposedly will initially have a ramp but will be able to be upgraded to catapults, won't the F-35C be of more interest?

contedicavour

harryriedl said:
the total amout of JSF is 136-150 in a combined RN and RAF buy
Ah-ha thanks. This RAF+RN mixed group complicates my calculations... ;)
Currently there are how many Harriers in the RAF+RN group ? If we consider RAF needs to remain stable, it is the RN which will need more planes to equip the 2 huge CVF vs the needs of the 2 (+1 reserve) Invincibles.

cheers

contedicavour

Grand Danois said:
Not necessarily. The < 40 could also mean a smaller fixed wing element of the embarked air group, with a potential for a surge to the 36 possible.

And I would wager the CVF can take much more than 40 aircraft anyway.

The real question is, since the CVF supposedly will initially have a ramp but will be able to be upgraded to catapults, won't the F-35C be of more interest?
I doubt it. The RAF needs Harrier-type planes that can be deployed from shorter runways... Unless the F35C has somewhat STOL features but I doubt it.

cheers

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
an other reson why the F35B is usful is that it can be used from Invincibles and the ocean class.

also in my pipe dream i would like the Uk to operate an Ospray AEW as a intertising AEW defence inbetween Sea King and a Hawkeye.
i would like the USMC to use the same aircraft

contedicavour

harryriedl said:
an other reson why the F35B is usful is that it can be used from Invincibles and the ocean class.

also in my pipe dream i would like the Uk to operate an Ospray AEW as a intertising AEW defence inbetween Sea King and a Hawkeye.
i would like the USMC to use the same aircraft
Are there any plans at all for an AEW Osprey ??
For < 30,000 tonne carriers I'm happy with AEW EH-101, it occupies less space on deck and especially in the hangar.

cheers

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
no not much just a small pic
it is a kind of tirangluar ballences beam type of radar i would presume it would be AESA

contedicavour

harryriedl said:
no not much just a small pic
it is a kind of tirangluar ballences beam type of radar i would presume it would be AESA
Thanks, interesting concept. However only the UK and the US could afford it. Aboard the Cavour or the Garibaldi such a bird would be disproportionately big and use up precious space for F35B and EH-101 (ASW or AEW).
France already has new E2Cs so it is unlikely to accept any incremental cost to CVF design that might come out of AEW Osprey integration (are the lifts to the hangars big enough for example ?)

cheers