British SAS Expands

Cyclop

I wonder why this expansion is so little. US Special Forces and others are growing like mushrooms and even the special forces of my homecountry, the austrian Jagdkommando, are going to double their size during the next years.

crazypole

Possibly because of the cost, the UK government like most governments hates to spend more on Defence. Also, the SAS is already by far the most expensive regiment to run in the whole of the UK army.
Another reason could be that this is some sort of compromise towards the SAS people's views that forced expansion can only be achieved by letting in individuals who otherwise would not have got in, ie. the "diluting" the quality of the regiment argument.

Cyclop

Costs: in Austria, we shrink the number of tank hunters, small helicopters etc. to raise some money for special forces (and Eurofighters ;-) )
Quality: you are right, thats why the Jagdkommando will grow slowly, without changing the limits etc. Another point is, that when nearly every good soldier serves at special forces, the level of "regular troops" sinks.

Brit

What is the current status of the Pathfinders and Marine Artic Warfare Cadre? (I'm quite out of date on army issues).

batavian

In response to the evidence I used to substantiate my previous theory that
the British army was engaging in ad hoc battalion level agent handling I've come accross information that refutes that assertion.The officers in quiestion were in fact from the sas and were captured while being involved in a well thought out operation the details are available at the following web site adress:
http://telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jht.../16/nsas16.xml
In light of this information it would appear that the sas is still being called on to preform covert survailance at least until this new reconaisance regiment comes online.Other puplications I've read mentions that even in "peace time"
the sas averages three deaths a year this figure inconjunction with some of the comments made by Eric Haney author of "Inside The Delta Force"(a nearly identical organization)specifically he mentions that they had taken alot
of loses due to injuries and deaths and that it had taken years to fully man all of the squadrons .In light of these above findings,adding a new squadron is nothing to be taken lightly.In reading about verious special operations in the past specifically effictive counters to SR and direct action
groups, John L. Plaster in his books on the MACV/SOG operations,make particular mention of the NVA's
counter recon companies who's purpose was to eliminate us special operation teams. the reader is lead to the conclusion that an effective counter to SF teams is tracking combined with solid infantry tactics.As the counter recon group is more formiliar with the territory they would have that as well as numbers on there side. in this synapsis what would swing the advantage in favor of the SF team would be as the aggresors they would have the initiative provided there planning was solid with the worst case scenario being that in the event of compromise an imediate action drill would only engage part of the enemy formation giving them a chance to break contact and escape.Tying this line of thought back into the topic the new sas squodron would have to have people who could execute an effective IAD but more importantly adapt to a changing situation.Planning could potentialy be the most decisive aspect of any mission.how much can be trained and how much has to be recruited?

Last edited:

perfectgeneral

Re: British RM & SAS Expands

A battalion of the rifles (Light Infantry) are to join RM as a 'commando'. How this will work I don't know.

1 para is supposed to take on a special forces support role. Big jobs.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro

perfectgeneral said:
A battalion of the rifles (Light Infantry) are to join RM as a 'commando'. How this will work I don't know.

1 para is supposed to take on a special forces support role. Big jobs.
I hadn't heard about the RM change, do you have a link for info?

Keen to find out more, my understanding is that Margret Thatcher disbanded the 4th Comando in the late 70s just before the Falklands, which is a bit ironic!

Kiwi Echo

I dont think that the british sas should be expanded.
They the soul to which special forces around the world were born from.

THIS WOULD DESTORY WHAT THE SAS STANDS FOR, IT WOULD DILUTE THE REGIMENT

They should be left to themselves and with a greater demand for so called
covert-operations they should be carried out by some form of roup like (not trying to be derogertory) a dumbified version of the sas. A group above the regular infantry but below sas. Like the aussie commandos that way you can even things out. Increase the manpower requried for operations in demand remove the stress off the sas and save$$$ that would have been spent on the costly sas upgrade.
Killing two birds with one stone so to speak

:nutkick

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
I've always seen the Paras and RM as the Commandos, the link between the SAS/SBS and regular troops, the training allows them to conducts raids etc, but still be used as infantry.

perfectgeneral

Whiskyjack said:
I hadn't heard about the RM change, do you have a link for info?

Keen to find out more, my understanding is that Margret Thatcher disbanded the 4th Comando in the late 70s just before the Falklands, which is a bit ironic!
I just heard this rumour, nothing more about a 4th Commando

There's been no official announcement still about an Army Btn going to 3 Bde, but rumour on the Arsse website has it that it will be 1st Btn The Rifles in 2007. No news on whether this btn wil adopt the Cdo structure, but I would think that it would make sense to do so. There has been nothing on beefing up support units so this won't probably happen.

The aim of this is to provide a round out Btn for 3 Bde, which is being worked very hard, and suffering from poor retention as a result.

Last edited by a moderator: