Battlefield airlifter for ADF

A

Aussie Digger

The interview you're referring to was with Air Marshall Angus Houston former cheif of the RAAF, now chief of ADF... In that interview he stated the ADF had been basically happy with civilian airlift arrangements up until that point.

The point should be made however that each and every one of those deployments have been into a benign theatre. That will not always be the case and some planning needs to be conducted in order to rectify this situation.

The RAAF would love a number of C-17's to round out it's airlift capabilities, but we'll have to wait and see. I can see an increase in RAAF lift capacity coming due to inadequate lift capabilities at present, but whether that will be via C-17, A400M's, or perhaps additional C-130's will be awaited...

A Strategic update to our White Paper will be released at around Christmas this year and I'd (nearly) bet my house that RAAF airlift capabilities are recommended for a great increase in capability. It's been the single biggest weakness in the RAAF force structure in recent years and needs to be addressed...