BAE to Seal $40B Eurofighter Deal With Saudis

Izzy1

Banned Member
That's not entirely true. They participated in GW1.
Here we go again eaf-f16.

Your completely wrong.

Yes Saudi did particpate in GW1 in response to Iraqi aggression against an ally in Kuwait and then Iraq moved onto Saudi territory at Al Khafji.

Saudi did not provoke an attack on anyone - it responded with its full military and diplomatic capability after being attacked and won.

I would expect the same response if Egypt were the case.

eaf-f16

Here we go again eaf-f16.

Your completely wrong.

Yes Saudi did participate in GW1 in response to Iraqi aggression against an ally in Kuwait and then Iraq moved onto Saudi territory at Al Khafji.

Saudi did not provoke an attack on anyone - it responded with its full military and diplomatic capability after being attacked and won.

I would expect the same response if Egypt were the case.
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to accuse Saudi of "attacking" any country. Just saying they did participate in conflicts (even if out of self-defense or in the aid of an ally which was the case in GW1). That's why I said "That's not entirely true."

And Egypt did participate in GW1 so obviously yes the they would respond in the same way if they were in that position. What's your point?

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to accuse Saudi of "attacking" any country. Just saying they did participate in conflicts (even if out of self-defense or in the aid of an ally which was the case in GW1). That's why I said "That's not entirely true."

And Egypt did participate in GW1 so obviously yes the they would respond in the same way if they were in that position. What's your point exactly?
Fair enough eaf-f16, Good. Then would you agree, Saudi has never attacked another country, acted only ever in her self-defence and that your original one-line remark within the context of this discussion was wrong?

Saudi has never attacked another country.

eaf-f16

Fair enough eaf-f16, Good. Then would you agree, Saudi has never attacked another country, acted only ever in her self-defence and that your original one-line remark within the context of this discussion was wrong?

Saudi has never attacked another country.
Yes, that's true. Saudi Arabia has so far only acted in self-defense but it has participated in conflict. Which is what I meant to say in the first place.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Yes, that's true. Saudi Arabia has so far only acted in self-defense but it has participated in conflict. Which is what I meant to say in the first place.
Saudi has not struck a neighbour in 100 years.

PM me if you view othterwise.

Last edited:

Izzy1

Banned Member
That's not entirely true. They participated in GW1.
We defended. They lost. RSAF did its duty eaf-f16. Granted, you got your words wrong. Again. Leave it at that, last time I checked, this thread was about Eurofighter. End of story.

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Saudi has not struck a neighbour in 100 years.
Mmm.
Yemen - 1932, 1962, 1995, 1998?
Ottoman Empire - 1913?
Kingdom of Hejaz - 1925?
Oman - 1952, 1955?

"Striking" is such a relative term. And I'm even willing to discard the initial Ishkwan campaigns completely.

merocaine

Mmm.
Ottoman Empire - 1913?
Kingdom of Hejaz - 1925?
Oman - 1952, 1955?

"Striking" is such a relative term. And I'm even willing to discard the initial Ishkwan campaigns completely
Those peace loving Saudi's have also provided the funding for numerous rebel groups, terrorists, insurgents ect.....as well as shipping off there fine young men as fighters with the aid of the goverment.

eaf-f16

Mmm.
Ottoman Empire - 1913?
Kingdom of Hejaz - 1925?
Oman - 1952, 1955?

"Striking" is such a relative term. And I'm even willing to discard the initial Ishkwan campaigns completely.
*whispers*

Shhhhh. Don't let Izzy1 know.;)

:eek:nfloorl:

I was going to mention Yemen too but I didn't know exactly what happened there. All I know was that Egypt was directly involved at one point but I wasn't sure if the Saudis were.

Last edited:

KiwiRob

Have you not heard the term "keep the best for yourself." It doesn't matter who it is you're selling to, a country should ALWAYS keep their most advanced weapons systems to themselves. This is why we (or Russia for that matter) don't export our strategic bombers or why no nation exports nuclear submarines.
Isn't Russia selling or leasing two nuclear attack subs to India? Most people also believe that Japan will eventually gain access to the F22.

KiwiRob

It's been speculated on in this forum, airliners.net, flight international, if the US is going to give it to anyone I would suspect Japan is the only country who wants it that can afford it.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, speculations.
Do you have anything else than that?
Because right now the US made clear that it is not going to export the F-22 to anyone.

I agree that IF the F-22 gets exported Japan would be one of the most possible buyers but so far nobody is going to get the F-22.

And I don't see any of the guys here which have a lot of knowledge about the world of planes (That excludes me) seeing the F-22 with the rising sun on it anytime soon.

swerve

Super Moderator
Why? The Ikhwan were founded by Ibn Saud specifically in order to provide him with an army, & their initial campaigns (Jabal Shammar, Asir, Hejaz) were ordered by him - though they did have a habit of exceeding orders, e.g. at Taif, which hinted at what was to come.

Even the most pro-Saudi view imaginable (see below) can't pretend that the Saudis didn't have a habit of invading & conquering neighbours, up to about 75 years ago -
http://www.ibnsaud.info/main/010.htm

And that's enough digression from me. Back to the topic!