Australian M1A1 Abrams technology

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
So go train with Singapore... oh wait, you train Singapore. We are all you have left. Go train with an MEU, that should serve you well with your force size.
Bit of a bugger innit? Oh, well I suppose we can go back to the Musorians. :wink:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Where is the problem with fighting against different kinds of US OPFOR?
Big-E is right when saying that most of the possible enemies the west faces on the world uses mostly russian equipment and sovjet style tactics.

For every other occasion you can go to US NTC, our NTC, or other NATO facilities and play against western tank boys.
Not good for your ego to get punched into the ground by units which have a home game but you learn much. ;)

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, actually, knowing the people I do and the history of defence procurement in Australia that I do, the numbers purchased were a compromise between that required and the budget that they could screw out of Treasury. While it would be nice to have an entire regiment of tanks for 1 Armd. to play with, its obvious with the purchase of 59 that they didn't get that. Then there must be consideration of the problems of training versus unit use and of course, location of workshops, movement to and from said workshops by vehicles (not sure how they are going to manage that one BTW, when one considers that the main workshops are at Pucka and Bandi).

When they purchased the Leopards, one of the major arguments against the purchase of the M60, which was Treasury's preferred option, was that buying the required number for 1 Armd Regt. and School of Armour was not possible, unless the M60s were purchased in two lots (and would, as a consequence be very different because of the US Army's procurement plans). So, they bought a joblot of Leopards, all in one go (and gone done over by Krause Maffei in the process BTW). 59 M1a1s might barely allow them to keep one squadron operational, if they are lucky IMO.

Depends. They should be. Appears to me and I suppose I could be rather naive but having your tank crew running around in a big cardboard box shouting out, "clank, clank, clank, BOOM!" might be an adequate substitute for crew and vehicle training but it rather rankles with the diggers in my limited experience. Most other armies, well, first world ones at least, tend to provide their units with sufficient numbers for them to be, well, units, I suppose. :lol:

I'd hope so, considering the disparities in age between the two vehicles!

I wonder, should we be tailoring our procurement plans to our training plans or our training plans to our procurement outcomes?

So, how many vehicles do you reckon 1 Armd will have in reality?
1 Armoured Regt will operate 3x Regular Sqn's of M1A1 vehicles, up from the 2x Regular Sqn's and 1x Chocco Sqn of Leopards they used to operate...

In reality? 41. About the same as the number of Leopards they currently operate... :)

I would imagine the vehicle maintenance schedule will be managed in a similar way to that of the Leopards. The situation for the Abrams is identical to that of the Leopards. Why NOW is it a big problem?

I'd personally prefer that the majority of 1 Brigade consolidate in Adelaide anyway. Darwin is a hole (IMHO) and in my experience most people posted there tend to leave Army pretty shortly thereafter...

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Where is the problem with fighting against different kinds of US OPFOR?
Big-E is right when saying that most of the possible enemies the west faces on the world uses mostly russian equipment and sovjet style tactics.
As I pointed out, Oz's possible threats don't. Therefore, practicing against an OPFOR which exclusively utilises ex-Soviet weapons and tactics would be foolish.

For every other occasion you can go to US NTC, our NTC, or other NATO facilities and play against western tank boys.
Not good for your ego to get punched into the ground by units which have a home game but you learn much. ;)
Mmmm, thats what the US OPFOR boys believed. IIRC they changed their tune after encountering 6RAR at the NTC.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Because of this just make it in three different ways.
- Train against sovjet style OPFOR.
- Train against normal NATO style OPFOR.
- Do your normal training within the units.

Should be enough.

As to the beating the US OPFOR took.

Who talks about yankees as capable OPFOR? ;) :D (Don't beat me for this little joke! :nutkick )

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Why assume that there are only two ways to skin a cat?

As China is our biggest landbound threat in the region, they don't fight like either fUSSR or NATO, so training against either of those wouldn't prepare us very well for fighting against the PLA, now would it?

There is more to the world than just NATO, the US Army and the fUSSR, you do realise?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why assume that there are only two ways to skin a cat?

As China is our biggest landbound threat in the region, they don't fight like either fUSSR or NATO, so training against either of those wouldn't prepare us very well for fighting against the PLA, now would it?

There is more to the world than just NATO, the US Army and the fUSSR, you do realise?
I am quite sure that the NTC boys are capable to adjusting to China type tactics, that is part of their job description to know different countries tactics on the battlefield, and even if you do have masses of armor coming at you, do you not still get the benefits of fighting as a cohesive unit, learning to work closely with your other military units. I think that you under estimate the value of using this facility, we are not a bunch of idiots who still view Russia as the primary threat.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am quite sure that the NTC boys are capable to adjusting to China type tactics, that is part of their job description to know different countries tactics on the battlefield, and even if you do have masses of armor coming at you, do you not still get the benefits of fighting as a cohesive unit, learning to work closely with your other military units. I think that you under estimate the value of using this facility, we are not a bunch of idiots who still view Russia as the primary threat.
Mmm, thats not the impression I've received from discussing the abilities of OPFOR with people who have gone through the NTC.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Mmm, thats not the impression I've received from discussing the abilities of OPFOR with people who have gone through the NTC.
Okay - what is the abilities of the OPFOR units at the NTC center, and BIG E is correct, China uses ex Soviet stlye tactics.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I also don get the problem.
Do you want to ask the PLA for training?
They are heavily influenced by Sovjet tactics and for sure have also their own ideas and looked closely at the actions of others like for example both gulf wars.
But what is their main difference to sovjet tactics?

And you just have no other options.

There are just those three possibilities which should all be used.

1. Train within your units especially small unit operations (BTW, do you bought MILES together with the Abrams?)

2. Train with special OPFOR units. There are enough possible OPFOR units out there which are good for mixing sovjet style tactic with western and other tactics (Poland, Egypt, US, Germany, etc.).

3. Train against normal foreign units of your friends and allies. Good for bigger unit training and the main tasks (operate and maneuver with your own unit and keep it running even under pressure) are also trained very well there. And you should find a training partner in nearly every possible environment.

Do you have another idea?
There are

There is nothing more left

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
AD,I dont consider Darwin a hole, in fact i love it! However,when i lived in Brisbane,i found that place a hole. No beaches,junkies breaking into cars and just a generaly boreing city. Not even barramundi there! i think young soldiers dislike darwin cause young soldiers tend to get beaten up for being tools in town, and Territory locals tend to be a bit Harder than their big city counterparts.(the lack of single girls may be a facter!) and yes its hot. But 1 brigade had better get used to it, cause the Bde is only going to get bigger!

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
AD,I dont consider Darwin a hole, in fact i love it! However,when i lived in Brisbane,i found that place a hole. No beaches,junkies breaking into cars and just a generaly boreing city. Not even barramundi there! i think young soldiers dislike darwin cause young soldiers tend to get beaten up for being tools in town, and Territory locals tend to be a bit Harder than their big city counterparts.(the lack of single girls may be a facter!) and yes its hot. But 1 brigade had better get used to it, cause the Bde is only going to get bigger!
Each to their own I guess. I am NOT a fan of hot weather, so that pretty much decides my opinion of Darwin...

As to beaches, there are plenty in Brisbane City. Did you never visit Wynnum or Sandgate? How many beaches can you SWIM at in Darwin???

Anyhoo, as to 1 Brigade getting bigger, I agree. But only in Adelaide where a large portion of the Brigade is to be moved to...

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Okay - what is the abilities of the OPFOR units at the NTC center, and BIG E is correct, China uses ex Soviet stlye tactics.
Does it? According to whom? Most of the references I have indicate that they have developed their own tactical doctrine and used it, since the Civil War days.

Big-E

Banned Member
Does it? According to whom? Most of the references I have indicate that they have developed their own tactical doctrine and used it, since the Civil War days.
Since the Civil War days they were trained and equipped by the Soviet Union. They are a clone from military districts all the way down to the people's war concept. Sure they adapt it to their needs but to say using a USSR OPFOR won't help you against the PLA is BS.

rickshaw

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Since the Civil War days they were trained and equipped by the Soviet Union. They are a clone from military districts all the way down to the people's war concept. Sure they adapt it to their needs but to say using a USSR OPFOR won't help you against the PLA is BS.
Sir, you're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I would suggest that we should leave it there and agree to differ. If you wish to believe the PLA is merely a clone of the fUSSR, then you are entitled to believe it. I however believe that the PLA is far more than just a clone of the fUSSR's army, having been moulded by substantially different experiences and drawing upon a different base for its doctrine and theories. While there are superficial similarities, there are also substantial differences in doctrine and equipment.

Big-E

Banned Member
I however believe that the PLA, has been moulded by substantially different experiences and drawing upon a different base for its doctrine and theories. While there are superficial similarities, there are also substantial differences in doctrine and equipment.
How can you deny Soviet Red Army doctrine dominating the PLA? You act like the rise of communist China was another world from the Soviets... it wasn't. Mao copied the Reds all the way down to the olive drab. They drew upon the same doctine and theories. The only difference in doctrine and equipment is a lack of it. The PLA has always been a poor version of the Red Army until recently, now they actually start to measure up. The fact you haven't provided any examples leads all of us to believe you speak with no authority on this subject.