Australian M113s

the road runner

I am reading an article on the M113 "Gavin" airborne vehicle(is there such a thing?).I thought the M113 was named "Buckets" by the Diggers and "Tracks" by the G.I.s?The article is very long and old(iv just noticed it, and am half way thru reading it)The Author talks about M113 Gavins and how they should replace soft skinned Hummers in the US Army.Would this be a good idea?
Can anyone refer me to a site that has Gavin specs?

http://combatreform.com/m113combat.htm

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
combatreform.com and related sites are the personal agenda of a guy called Mike Sparks ("Sparky") who is basically a persona non grata in the military community as his ideas are generally regarded as blatant nonsense. It's a waste of time to read his website(s).

"Gavin" as a name for the M113 is an invention by Sparky and not an official name anywhere in the world. Such a vehicle does not exist.

the road runner

After reading his whole article(about 3 hours)i came to the conclussion that he was MAD.I did notice his one sided views of the M113.Thanx DavidDCM,pitty i wasted 3 hours of my life on his crap.:(

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
After reading his whole article(about 3 hours)i came to the conclussion that he was MAD.I did notice his one sided views of the M113.Thanx DavidDCM,pitty i wasted 3 hours of my life on his crap.:(
That's the most eloquent description of this kind of thing I've read in a while. Thanks :eek:nfloorl:

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah the guy is definitely unhinged. He had a minor point back in 2004 when US troops were running around in unarmoured Humvees and bolting steel plate onto the sides as Hillbilly Armour - at that stage, M113s might have been a good idea as an interim solution until the Strykers and MRAPs arrived in large numbers.

But the way he's talking about it like it's some kind of Super IFV suggests it was just luck rather than judgement to be right about that. A stopped clock is right twice a day, as they say! :p:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Admin post to remove instant notification spam setting.

GF: you should be able to turn this off at your email advice end??

Last edited by a moderator: