Australia chooses to Spanish shipping NAVANTIA.

Alonso Quijano

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
time will tell what will be the development of these destroyers.

Spain attended with an F-100 to the downing of a satellite by the Americans with the SM3 missile, the F-100 was able to detect and track the target.
logically Americans who were shot down ...
I have no doubt that such assistance from Spain was to see these systems, the SM3 and the ability to buy in the future.

Spain is now fighting for a 6th F-100 and the minister has already announced its feasibility study.

slowly ...

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Involved?

I heard that Japan was "observing" with a ship as well.. They may not have been feeding in data into the system, but making observations and checking the results to see if they could have intergrated into the process.

Alonso Quijano

Got an article to go with that?
Everything I've read says USS Lake Erie, Decatur and Russell were the only ships involved in the operation.
sorry, I was wrong ...

Spain was to observe the shooting down of a ballistic missile:

Tests ballistic missile
THE FRIGATE MÉNDEZ NÚÑEZ Join the end of June in
test intercept ballistic missiles developed in Hawaii,
as part of their training and for the future access of vessels
Class F-100 with this capability.
During testing the destroyer USS Decatur, equipped with the latest version
certified by the U.S. Navy's Aegis system Balistic Missile Defense (Aegis
BMD 3.6) successfully conducted the ninth downing of an experimental missile
medium range. In the course of the F-104, which had been made
appropriate changes in its Aegis Weapon System detected and
continued to target properly.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/assets/corporate/documents/Lazos6.pdf

Also found this one that I now translate:

The test marked the ninth successful intercept, eleven attempted, a ballistic missile by the Aegis BMD system and was the first by an Aegis BMD destroyer. It also marked the third time that the Aegis BMD system has demonstrated its capacity for discrimination of targets, intercepting a ballistic missile with head independent reentry into the atmosphere. In addition to these milestones, the Aegis BMD has successfully conducted more than 15 follow-up tests of missiles since June 2004.

In the proof of past 22 days, the USS Decatur (DDG-73), a destroyer equipped with the latest version of Aegis BMD certified by the U.S. Navy (the Aegis BMD 3.6), successfully guided a Standard Missile (SM) -3 Block IA to intercept outside the atmosphere, a medium-range ballistic missile with head independent reentry.

In addition to USS Decatur, the Aegis BMD cruiser USS Port Royal (CG-73) and the Aegis frigate Méndez Núñez (F-104) of the Spanish Armada participated in the test as practice for the future ability to access this class frigates F-100.

During the tests, the USS Port Royal used its radar-1B Spy powered by a prototype signal processor (BSP) Aegis BMD to detect and track in real time the warhead separated, and to differentiate - or discriminate - the simulated this item rest of the missile. The success of BMD also revalidated the availability of this advanced discrimination capability against complex threats for installation and deployment as part of the future configuration of the Aegis BMD capability in early 2010.

Also during the tests the USS Port Royal monitoring data exchange with the ground-based Terminal High Altitude Air Defense (THAAD). The THAAD, also developed by Lockheed Martin, is designed to catch ballistic missiles in their terminal flight phase. Connection with THAAD, Aegis BMD confirmed the interoperability of systems and sensors Ballistuic Missile Defense System.

In this test, the Mendez Nunez (F-104), with minimal modifications in its Aegis combat system, found and followed the ballistic missile.

"With nine successful intercepts from three different vessels made in each case with different envelopes, we can clearly see the potential to transfer this capability to any Aegis-equipped ship," said Rear Admiral Brad Hicks, Aegis BMD program director of the Agency missile defense. "The participation of the frigate Méndez Núñez and strength shows that the Aegis BMD can easily be the common element and tested for a capacity of defense with our allies."

Interception on 22 was the last act of a series of tests during the previous dates, in which the USS Decatur:

verified the performance of Aegis BMD 3.6 for the detection, monitoring and setting of a high-altitude anti-radiation missile, demonstrating the ability of multi-system.

and directed both the attack against two simulated ballistic missile target fired from the Pacific Missile Range facility. During the same operation, the THAAD was paired with the USS Port Royal and the SPY-1B radar (V) of the vessel with enhanced BSP acquired and continued ballistic targets.

The frigate Mendez Nunez met the USS Decatur and USS Port Royal after completing the coast of California in its Operational Qualification Testing System Combat (CSSQT) along with two other Aegis ships, the Norwegian frigate Fridtjof Nansen (F - 310) and the American destroyer USS Gridley (DDG-101). During the CSSQT - the first in which vessels have participated in three nation-boats carried out operations to check the performance of their combat systems against a variety of naval threats.

"The Aegis has once again demonstrated its ability to protect against medium range ballistic missiles," said Orlando Carvalho, videpresidente and CEO of Surface and Sea-Based Missile Defense at Lockheed Martin. "The participation of the F-104 comes to join the success already achieved in such tests of the Aegis class destroyer" Kongo "Japanese, and once again demonstrates the usefulness of the Aegis system to provide anti-missile defense capability our allies. "

The Aegis BMD 3.6 system, including missile SM-3 Block IA was certified for operational deployment by the U.S. Navy in August 2006. This release enhances the capabilities of the current anti Aegis BMD fleet and adds benefits in other types of combat, as was demonstrated in tests of 22 days.

The MDA and the U.S. Navy jointly developed the Aegis BMD as part of missile defense (BMDS) from United States. There are currently seven ships of the U.S. Navy Aegis with the ability to search, track and destroy ballistic missiles at long range. Another nine Aegis ships equipped with Aegis BMD LRST up surveillance and remote monitoring of these missiles. The ultimate goal is that there are 15 Aegis destroyers and 3 cruisers equipped with the ability to neutralize threats of ballistic and short-medium range and support other BMDS using the system and the Aegis BMD SM-3. Japan purchased Aegis BMD capability for their destroyers and is a partner in developing an alternative and more rapid long-range SM-3.

The Aegis Weapon System is the first naval weapons system in the surface world, and it is based on the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense, the first sea-based component of the defense system against ballistic missiles of the United States. The Aegis BMD integrates the SPY-1 radar, the Vertical Launching System Mk 41, the SM-3 missile and the Command and Control. The Aegis BMD is also integrated with BMDS, exchanging information with other elements of it.

Currently, the Aegis Weapon System is in service on 83 ships around the world, and its installation is planned in at least 20 other units. Apart from United States, the Aegis weapon system is adopted by naval Spain, Japan, South Korea, Norway and Australia. Japan has begun installation of Aegis BMD in its destructive "Kongo" this year.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
sorry, I was wrong ...
Spain was to observe the shooting down of a ballistic missile:
Ah, that is something different called NTDC (Non-Tactical Data Collection) and it is something all Aegis equipped ships can do, but it does have some limitations.

Alonso Quijano

Ah, that is something different called NTDC (Non-Tactical Data Collection) and it is something all Aegis equipped ships can do, but it does have some limitations.
the bad news is that my government nor the Navy is interested in the SM-3. If the international scene and assessing the threat to national defense planning to change the F-100 could be improvements to the Aegis BMD without too much suffering, beyond the economic.

What the Navy and asked if the government included in the package of F-105 was the modernization of the SPY and all amendments, and capabilities of the Aegis Baseline 7. But she knows no mention has been made to incorporate the SM-3 and when they need them in this.
maybe in the future but not now ...

Alonso Quijano

Spain is also involved in an important project, "The combat system Scomba", which intends to equip all our new ships like the LHD (JCI), the new BAM and BAC.
this system when fully developed may be used by all vessels to ensure our own technology.

In Scomba development will for the first time:

• Integration of radar LANZA-N.
• Integration of radar ARIES.
• Integration of Radar PAR approach (based on two radar ARIES).
• Integration with IFF Mode 5 and Mode S.
• Integration AIS as a sensor for more combat system.
• Integration with standard interface processor type LINPRO N.
• Control System Integration amphibious craft.
• Integration Server mapping.
• time synchronization of all elements with a central time and NTP.

JCI photo with the facilities of what will be the new system Scomba.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/senalero0509/090514JCI446.jpg

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
What the Navy and asked if the government included in the package of F-105 was the modernization of the SPY and all amendments, and capabilities of the Aegis Baseline 7. But she knows no mention has been made to incorporate the SM-3 and when they need them in this.
maybe in the future but not now ...
SM-3 is expensive, but its cutting edge. As far as its maxium capability and development is concerned, they turned it into a Asat missile with a software upgrade (impressive). Australia has made no firm commitments either. We are interested in BMD but we aren't in the same threat level as the Japanese. I would like to see a F-100 fitted with SM-3 to prove it can be done.

JCI looks fantastic, really taking shape now. Have they non skid the deck yet?

santi

Not yet.
She would must start her sea trials one month ago, but some problem with one of the two 8 MW diesel-alternators has delayed those trials till September.
I suppose the deck will be finished after that, prior to be handed over in December.

Regards

Alonso Quijano

SM-3 is expensive, but its cutting edge. As far as its maxium capability and development is concerned, they turned it into a Asat missile with a software upgrade (impressive). Australia has made no firm commitments either. We are interested in BMD but we aren't in the same threat level as the Japanese. I would like to see a F-100 fitted with SM-3 to prove it can be done.

Spain is in the same situation, we have virtually no threat, the closest we have is Morocco and it is very unlikely a conflict with them.
All efforts are limited to the requirements of NATO, the control of the Strait of Gibraltar and the Canary Islands.
In addition we are surrounded by EU countries.
too much is allocated to humanitarian missions.

I imagine that the JCI is still not on the cover slip, it would be a pity to spoil the containers of materials that you are putting up now.

takes, we'll send you some pictures of the life-saving rafts JCI:

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI043.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI055.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI060.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI064.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI066.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI071.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI088.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/senalero0609/090526JCI090.jpg

;)