Army, Airforce and Navy related Movies.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Some good ones:

The thin red line
U-571
Battle for Britain

Tom Clancys novel based flicks are pretty good 2.
Check these out:
Patriot Games
The hunt for the red october
The sum of all fears.

Theres a must see seen in the Hunt for the Red October when the russian Alfa pops up behind the Typhoon and Los Angles. The sum of all fears also has an awesome seen showing Tu-26s slaggin an American Aircraft carrier.

ajay_ijn

The most Surprising thing about Sum of All Fears is,It was during post Cold War.
I never knew tension level will be So high even after Cold war.

It this was situation during post-Cold war then imagine during the Cuban Crisis,The peak of Cold war.

Theres a must see seen in the Hunt for the Red October when the russian Alfa pops up behind the Typhoon and Los Angles.
Another most interesting Scene would be,When the Sean Connery orders the typhoon to directly head towards Torpedo and asks the Hero Alec Baldwin that what books he has written.
Baldwin would be Sweating becoz of fear and gets Surprised.When Baldwin says Names of books
Connery replies "I read those books they were having Wrong Conclusions"
I was biting my hand becoz of Suspense at that point.

Red october looks like too Hypothetical.
An SSBN Captain Defecting.

How about Thirteen Days ? it show us how big the tension JFK face in Cuban Missile Crisis.And the scene when the U-2 spyplane get shooted by Soviet missiles is good.

Last edited:

rajupaki

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thirteen Days is Also a good movie based on the Cuban Missile Crises b/w US and Russia.

Had any of you see Das Boot? i heard it is good movie about german submarine or the U-BOOT in WW 2.But i can't find the movie here in Indonesia.

Last edited:

yasin_khan

I like the World War II movies like :-
1. Pearl Harbour.
2. The Great Escape.
3. The Eagle Has Landed.
4. Kelly's Heros.
5. The Von Rayan Express.
6. The Dirty Dozen.
7. D-Day Invasion.
8. Tora Tora Tora.
9. Desert Rats.
10. Raid On Rommel.
11. Behind Enemy Lines.
12. Platoon.
13. We Were Soldiers.
14. Black Hawk Down.
15. Full Metal Jacket.
16. The Beast.
17. Border.(Indian)
18. LOC.(Indian)

ajay_ijn

1. Pearl Harbour.
2. The Great Escape.
3. The Eagle Has Landed.
4. Kelly's Heros.
6. The Dirty Dozen.
7. D-Day Invasion.
8. Tora Tora Tora.
9. Desert Rats.
10. Raid On Rommel.
11. Behind Enemy Lines.
12. Platoon.
13. We Were Soldiers.
14. Black Hawk Down.
15. Full Metal Jacket.
16. The Beast.
17. Border.(Indian)
18. LOC.(Indian)
How come Saving Private Ryan is not in the List.
Its is the best ww2 eurpoean campaign movie.
Yasin all if them are not ww2 movies.
Black Hawk,Behind Enemy lines,we were soldiers are not ww2 movies.

About LOC(Indian),Frankly speaking half of the movie
fellow soldier/wife/mother cry.
I am not saying they should not show that but they could have reduced the emotion scenes.Too much emotions makes the movie boring.
For example in Saving Private ryan,Tom hanks cries only in one scene and that too he does it in a lonely place.
Becoz if he cried before his soldiers then there morale would be downed.

The scene of destroying Tiger Tank was exaggerating becoz Tiger Tank is not something to be destroyed by Infantry,Its a far more powerful tank.
Forget the infantry,even number of shermans could not face a single tiger.

yasin_khan said:
1. Pearl Harbour.
2. The Great Escape.
3. The Eagle Has Landed.
4. Kelly's Heros.
6. The Dirty Dozen.
7. D-Day Invasion.
8. Tora Tora Tora.
9. Desert Rats.
10. Raid On Rommel.
11. Behind Enemy Lines.
12. Platoon.
13. We Were Soldiers.
14. Black Hawk Down.
15. Full Metal Jacket.
16. The Beast.
17. Border.(Indian)
18. LOC.(Indian)
Yasin,is Full Metal Jacket directed by Oliver Stone ?What is the story about?,i've seen Platoon and i think it is quite 'enlighten',compared with chuck norris vietnam movie,when single man with rambo-style kill all VC :rolleyes:

rajupaki

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well as Far as Indian and Paksitani movies are concern they are far much from the real life. The hero which could be a Solger,pilot,officier etc is been shown as a professional dancer, more intrested in his girl friend than the country's defence :) . I think smoking, wine etc are restricted for army navy and airforce personal(at least in Pak army) but in those movies A solger can be seen doing all of this. A recent Indian film"ab watan tumharay hawaly", an indian solder jumps from a mountain and while falling he takes the bomb from a boy's hand throw it in air and the bomb explodes nearly to the hero but the hero has saved and more interestingly all of this has been done while hero was in air:confused: . This is the reason that why i hate Indian and Pakistani movies so much. They put romence every where and songs are atleast a dosen of songs are must for every film.

yasin_khan

ajay_ijn said:
How come Saving Private Ryan is not in the List.
Its is the best ww2 eurpoean campaign movie.
Yasin all if them are not ww2 movies.
Black Hawk,Behind Enemy lines,we were soldiers are not ww2 movies.

About LOC(Indian),Frankly speaking half of the movie
fellow soldier/wife/mother cry.
I am not saying they should not show that but they could have reduced the emotion scenes.Too much emotions makes the movie boring.
For example in Saving Private ryan,Tom hanks cries only in one scene and that too he does it in a lonely place.
Becoz if he cried before his soldiers then there morale would be downed.

The scene of destroying Tiger Tank was exaggerating becoz Tiger Tank is not something to be destroyed by Infantry,Its a far more powerful tank.
Forget the infantry,even number of shermans could not face a single tiger.
First 10 movies in my list are of WW II.Behind Enemy Lines is based on Serbia.
Platoon,Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers are based on Veitnam.The Beast is based on Soviet invasion on Afghanistan and the remaining two are based on Indo-Pak war of 1971 and 1999.

yasin_khan

pasukangeraktjepat said:
Yasin,is Full Metal Jacket directed by Oliver Stone ?What is the story about?,i've seen Platoon and i think it is quite 'enlighten',compared with chuck norris vietnam movie,when single man with rambo-style kill all VC :rolleyes:
I forgot the name of the director but it is good movie.It starts with the training of personals who are going to Veitnam. The training session is very interesting and shows the brtulaty of there instructor.

I've talk about this in other thread, but it seem missing so i try to start in this thread.It is a new Navy Sci-fi Plane movie 'Stealth', has any of you look this?
The movie plot : In the near future, the Navy develops a fighter jet piloted by an artificial intelligence computer. The jet is placed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific to learn combat manuevers from the human pilots aboard. But when the computer develops a mind of its own, it's the humans who are charged with stopping it before it incites a war.. (http://imdb.com/title/tt0382992/plotsummary)

wittmanace

theres an awesome new film about the soviet union in afghanistan, called "the ninth company". its very very good and has a big budget, the biggest film russia has ever made.........it was amazing (came out in russia in december 2005 i think). i got to see it, and it was amazingly good....id say its "platoon" level....shockingly enough. i didnt expect it to be very good, but damn, it was very very good.

its now my fav war film, just above der untergang, platoon, full metal jacket and the beast......though a bridge too far deserves a high mention....

Izzy1

Banned Member
Band of Brothers TV series - based on Stephen Ambroses excellent books. Speillberg is Exec Producer on it, so quality is pretty much guarenteed.

Sorry if anyone has already mentioned it, but also the classic Where Eagles Dare...

Das Boot is also a personal fave.

mysterious

Ok, the movie Stealth was pathetic! Apart from the hi-Sci-fi content, there was nothing else in the movie! No storyline and not even proper acting. It seemed like a sequel to I, Robot; just that the robot has now taken the form of a fighter jet.

noovie

The top 15 best war movies:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Der Untergang (Downfall)
3. The Deer Hunter
4. Full Metal Jacket
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Catch-22
7. Band of brothers
8. Hamburger Hill
9. Platoon
10. Jarhead
11. Das Boot
12. Patton
13. Paths of glory
14. Stalag 17
15. The Caine Mutiny

crazypole

Not sure about a top 10/15/whatever, but favourite films of mine in this genre include:

-Longest Day (a bit long and story is constantly skipping to different parts. This covers the D-Day landings),
-Black Hawk Down (really realistic feel to it),
-Apocalypse Now (who can't love that attack by the Air Mobile Regiment, with Ride of the Valkyries music?),
-Kelly's Heroes (one of my personal favourites for it's light-hearted approach),
-Battle of Britain,
-Bridge Too Far,
-Jarhead (personally, i feel it captured a sense of what the troops in Desert Storm, and US troops in general would have felt like)
-Ice Cold in Alex
-Midway
-Dirty Dozen
-Saving Private Ryan is overrated. After the amazing first landing scenes, it kind of degenerates where from a film watching point of view, a strong feeling of having seen the same scene over and over again sets in.
-I was also disappointed with Enemy at the Gates, I much prefered Stalingrad.

Berserk Fury

mysterious said:
Lets not forget Behind Enemy Lines and Thin Red Line.
Behind Enemy Lines was pretty good though the beginning fighter scene was totally inaccurate. Thin Red Line was AWESOME, on par with Saving Private Ryan... at least to me.

pasukangeraktjepat said:
I've talk about this in other thread, but it seem missing so i try to start in this thread.It is a new Navy Sci-fi Plane movie 'Stealth', has any of you look this?
The movie plot : In the near future, the Navy develops a fighter jet piloted by an artificial intelligence computer. The jet is placed on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific to learn combat manuevers from the human pilots aboard. But when the computer develops a mind of its own, it's the humans who are charged with stopping it before it incites a war.. (http://imdb.com/title/tt0382992/plotsummary)
July 31st, 2005 12:13 AM
mysterious said:
Ok, the movie Stealth was pathetic! Apart from the hi-Sci-fi content, there was nothing else in the movie! No storyline and not even proper acting. It seemed like a sequel to I, Robot; just that the robot has now taken the form of a fighter jet.
lol well said, mysterious.
Stealth totally sucked...the plane...sucked... sure the plane was once considered maybe a "prototype" but the idea was demolished a long time ago.
The combat scenes were nearly fake...
a live fire "excersize" where an SAM site got taken out by what looks like a sidewinder to me not to mention the fact that the guy controlling the SAM site got blown up too.
Later on, the guy does a flip, goes mach 2 straight down WHILE launching what looked like a Paveway LGB.
Then he managed to pull out of that dive while blacked out.
Either way Stealth SUCKED.