AMRAAM and R-77 performance review

Totoro

Well, there haven't been any official reports about the seeker. In various media one could read it is using r-77's seeker, that it is using some other russian seeker, that chinese worked with russians on developing its seeker and that chinese developed one on their own. No way to know which one of those is true. It seems logical and most likely motor is chinese.... as is the fuselage, which is slightly bigger than the one for r-77. All in all, i'd think its likely its performance is somewhere between performace of r-77 and late 90s amraam. But who knows. its all guesstimates.

Totoro

Does anyone know which air forces are using r-77, how many planes are capable of using it (approximately) and since when? I would assume India, China and anyone who got su-30 has it, is that right? Do the modernized su-27sm in russian air force also have it?

Chrom

Does anyone know which air forces are using r-77, how many planes are capable of using it (approximately) and since when? I would assume India, China and anyone who got su-30 has it, is that right? Do the modernized su-27sm in russian air force also have it?
All export SU-30 have it. All export (post-1995) Mig-29 - have it.

All russian Mig-29/Su-27 upgrades also have it.

How many exactly upgraded - anyone guess. The information is not very clear - but probably around ~50 Su-27 and ~30 Mig-29

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
First off from what I've heard the R-77 has not entered serial production. If anyone has info otherwise please post.

Second off, I don't think there are any modernized MiG's in the VVS. They should all be MiG-29S variant. There are two regiments (48) of modernized Flankers (SM). There were some modernized (BM iirc) MiG-31's delivered. But only a handful.

Chrom

First off from what I've heard the R-77 has not entered serial production. If anyone has info otherwise please post.

Second off, I don't think there are any modernized MiG's in the VVS. They should all be MiG-29S variant. There are two regiments (48) of modernized Flankers (SM). There were some modernized (BM iirc) MiG-31's delivered. But only a handful.
There were some Mig-29 upgraded to SMT variant.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
India bought 174 R-77 (RVV-AE) from Vympel, delivered in 1999-2001. Peru ordered a few dozen around the same time, and has them in service.

Serial production since 1997, as far as i'm aware of, with LRIP in 1992.
Now if we're talking R-77M and such, that's a whole different game.

ROCK45

R-77

kato you mentioned the Indian and Peruvian order and Serial production since 1997, but I'm seeing any listed updates or upgrades? I Google around some but didn't see any listed upgrades do you know of any?

Do you know of an Air Force that uses both the R-77 and/or AIM-120 or MICA? I'm looking for a pilot or air force comparison between the three.

You mentioned Peru's Air Forces Mig-29 have some do you know of any other Mig-29 user that may have them? I was wondering if Yemen's SMT models had them?

Thanks

Chrom

=between the three.

You mentioned Peru's Air Forces Mig-29 have some do you know of any other Mig-29 user that may have them? I was wondering if Yemen's SMT models had them?

Thanks
Any SMT can certainly use R-77. I dont know if Yemen actually ordered R-77, but i cant see any reason why not. Mig-29SMT upgrade and R-77 should be one package anyway.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
SIPRI extract for R-77, from Russia:

Algeria - 2006 - unknown number - status uncertain - for Su-30MKA
China - 2002-07 - unknown number - 600 delivered - for Su-27SK and Su-30MKK
India - 2001-07 - 1600 missiles - 875 delivered - for Su-30MKI and MiG-21UPG
Malaysia - 2007 - 150 missiles - 50 delivered - for Su-30MKM
Peru - 1998-99 - 12-30 missiles - all delivered - for MiG-29SE
Venezuela - 2006 - 100 missiles - status uncertain - for Su-30MKV
Yemen - 2004-05 - 100 missiles - all delivered - for MiG-29SMT

Other than that, Slovakia got 3 (three) R-77 from Ukraine in 2000. Don't know if this was some clandestine technology procurement for evaluation, or if they're seriously hanging them from their MiG-29AS/SD.

ROCK45

R-77

Thanks kato great source of information interesting that the latest Flanker customers are unknown.

Now I wonder if Iran's Fulcrums have the radar & software to use these missiles on their Fulcrums if Yemen were to transfer a batch?

I guess I'm not going to have much luck reading about pilots talking about air to air missiles? Can I assume AIM-120, MICA, AA-12, in that order is how they might be rated?

Thanks

Chrom

Thanks kato great source of information interesting that the latest Flanker customers are unknown.

Now I wonder if Iran's Fulcrums have the radar & software to use these missiles on their Fulcrums if Yemen were to transfer a batch?
No, Irans Mig-29 cant use R-77 without upgrade.

2S1

Banned Member
Even if IRIAF's Fulcrums could use R-77, given Iran's alleged links with certain Yemeni anti-government militant groups, I find such a transfer doubtful.

ROCK45

2S1, Chrom, kato, Thanks guys

Hi 2S1-I had that mixed up I always thought Yemen had strong ties with Iran. I thought there was a rumor going on that Yemen merc pilots were already flying Iranian Fulcrums.

Last edited:

2S1

Banned Member

Hi 2S1-I had that mixed up I always thought Iran had strong ties with Iran. I thought there was a rumor going on that Yemen merc pilots were already flying Iranian Fulcrums.
ROCK45 you may be right on that, Yemeni merc pilots flying IRIAF's Fulcrums is very possible.

After all, do you know who trained them? Ex-East German merc Mig-29 pilots.

2S1

Banned Member

Hi 2S1-I had that mixed up I always thought Iran had strong ties with Iran. I thought there was a rumor going on that Yemen merc pilots were already flying Iranian Fulcrums.
ROCK45 you may be right on that, Yemeni merc pilots flying IRIAF's Fulcrums is very possible.

After all, do you know who trained them? Ex-East German merc Mig-29 pilots.

And they're still flying.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry I meant serial production for the VVS. So another question, the Su-27SK can fire the R-77? Would that mean that the Su-27S can fire it?

And Chrom do you have any info on the SMT modernization for the VVS that you mentioned. I've never heard of it, and was under the impression that none were modernized.