AIR9000 what's the big problem

HMS Cheesemaker

There was an article by Geoffry Barker in the Fin Review on Thursday claiming that "it is understood" that the national security committee decided on the 26th to a $1.5 billion contract for 34 MRH-90 helicopters.

It said 28 were for Army, 6 for Navy to replace the Sea Kings.

The article said that it was believed that the choice of the MRH-90 was because of "superior technology" and rationalisation.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
HMS Cheesemaker said:
There was an article by Geoffry Barker in the Fin Review on Thursday claiming that "it is understood" that the national security committee decided on the 26th to a $1.5 billion contract for 34 MRH-90 helicopters.

It said 28 were for Army, 6 for Navy to replace the Sea Kings.

The article said that it was believed that the choice of the MRH-90 was because of "superior technology" and rationalisation.
I've heard this from my sources at Russell as well, however there's another rumour circulating which suggests we wont get any more MRH-90s after the 12 currently on order due to commonality and interoperability issues with US forces.

I guess we'll see in the budget or DCP which is now due in the July/August timeframe.

Magoo

Supe

Magoo said:
I've heard this from my sources at Russell as well, however there's another rumour circulating which suggests we wont get any more MRH-90s after the 12 currently on order due to commonality and interoperability issues with US forces.
I hope ADF goes with more NH-90s over the Blackhawks. With NATO and EU (many of them buying NH-90s) nations operating in same theatres as ADF and apparent increased willingness to undertake coalition operations (meaning higher probability ADF will be partnered with Europeans) - plugging into European logistics to ala 'interoperability and commonality' would render some of the argument to buy U.S gear, somewhat void.

A

Aussie Digger

Magoo said:

I guess we'll see in the budget or DCP which is now due in the July/August timeframe.

Magoo
From DIAR:

APPROVAL FOR ROTARY WING AEROSPACE MANUFACTURING PLANT: Australian Aerospace (AA) has confirmed negotiations are proceeding on plans to establish a $15m composite fibre manufacturing plant in Queensland, creating more than 60 new jobs. Initially, the facility will produce key fuselage parts and fittings for the Air 87 ‘Tiger’ ARH helicopters, as well as for current project Air 9000/2 (and prospectively future phase 4/6) MRH90 military orders (estimated as up to 34), which should ensure sustainability of the activity, as well as carrying out maintenance and repairs. The new facility also will manufacture parts for the global supply chain and worldwide production of the ‘Tiger’ and base European NH90 design. Negotiations are now taking place on the site for the new factory, expected to start operating by the end of 2007. AA officials also indicate the plant may in future be capable of producing structural parts for other aerospace platforms. [20.04.06]

Obtained via subscriber access only...

Seems unlikely AA would be investing so heavily if they were only assembling 12...

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
There is also the possibility of 8 (most rumour suggests this number) for the RNZAF, I notice the NZ govt has announced nothing yet either. Waiting to finalise with NH Industries and Australia?

So 12 for ADF + 8 for the NZDF, would give the ADF a bit more time to order a follow on batch, and allow for immediate efficiencies with the extra 8 for the NZDF.

Just an idea.