A military action in Burma.

Izzy1

Banned Member
I don't think it was even about democracy. More like survival ie a minimum standard/cost of living. Damned if you, damned if you don't kind of scenario. There are no military solutions for this kind of issues.

I don't think it can be classified as genocide either since the Junta is of the same race as the protestors. Strictly speaking, its more heavy handed suppression just like Tiananmen in China.

I believe even if there was a huge massacre in Burma, the international community would have stood by. They did so in Rwanda's genocide. They are doing so in Darfur's genocide. They will continue to do so in Burma even if it became a genocide.

What I can't figure out is why Darfur never got as much attention as Burma. Killing for the sake of skin color or beliefs has got to be the worst, humanity can dish out.

Agreed. We have all known about Darfur for too long and done nothing - forget the AU, they are pointless. The EU should have acted at a lot longer ago - they have the troops to enforce the job. Why are those sorry folk still waiting?

Ozzy Blizzard

Agreed. We have all known about Darfur for too long and done nothing - forget the AU, they are pointless. The EU should have acted at a lot longer ago - they have the troops to enforce the job. Why are those sorry folk still waiting?
Africa is truely the shame of the western world. Darfur, Rewanda, Zier, the list goes on and on. We all should have acted many times before now, and even if the burmese opened up ovens and gas chambers, i doubt we would act. Something has to fundimentaly change in the way the western world relates to africa and the rest of the underdeveloped world.

funtz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
man here is the problem, reporters from India(CNN-IBN,Times Now) went to the Myanmar border and talked to ordinary farmers who cross over every day to sell and buy whatever they can.

These farmers were aware of proceedings in Myanmar and reported that there was protests in many villages across Myanmar, this might seem ordinary to you however for a nation where media is controlled and the news of the protest has to travel by the word of mouth, this is tremendous, gives a rough idea about the scale of protests.

Now as the Australians have been saying the deaths are at least in the tens, now there is no way you can know that till someone was there reporting all of this, however all independent media/reporters are not allowed inside Myanmar.
If BBC CNN are correct, the number of people jailed are in the hundred thousand bracket, the sheer number of people shows that these figures are moderate at best, for a whole nation protesting against a dictatorship.

The pathetic situation is like other one man/party dictatorships around the world, this dictatorship is just stuffing their bank accounts with money, except making sure that at least half of the nation has been jailed once in their life time, they have done nothing for the nation.
Its not as if they can not do it, that nation is in the worlds out hot zone for outsourcing (mostly the manufacturing industry), they have a decent amount of petrochemical resources to fuel the initial phase.

The generals can not stay in power because of the sheer selfishness hey have shown, Myanmar is a nation where religion has had a very respected role to play in every day life for a long time, and twice the monks have taken part in protests, many have died both times, there is no quarter of support or political power that is favoring the military junta, being as trigger happy as they are i hardly think the killing will stop, even if the protests disappeared from the television screens and make us feel less guilty about ourselves.

Another thing that has troubled me since i have started to understand the way things work in this world, is the sheer lack of emotions all of the soldiers have shown in killing there own people for these dictators, this is not just Myanmar any one who has lived long enough or read up on international affairs will recall countless times this has happened.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Indoctrination and fear.

Worked for thousands of years and is going to work in the future.

Strict indoctrination of your own troops is the key for every successfull junta. Add the fear of standing on the wrong side of the barrell to that if one doesn't fullfill the order to shoot the civilians and one can imagine why it works like it works.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And we didn't truly press the case; the UK, US and France.

Disgusting.

It was last week's headline on BBC World, now its no where now. This was a country that cried out for Democracy and we failed it.

Shame on us.
Yes - we should be ashamed that this type of garbage still goes on and we turn a blind eye. Very frustrating inregards to Russia and China, what will it take for them to be on board with the rest of the world and sound off in a unified voice that this type of behavior cannot be tolerated for the sake of peace and humanity, I guess some things will never change.:(

Chrom

Yes - we should be ashamed that this type of garbage still goes on and we turn a blind eye. Very frustrating inregards to Russia and China, what will it take for them to be on board with the rest of the world and sound off in a unified voice that this type of behavior cannot be tolerated for the sake of peace and humanity, I guess some things will never change.:(
Becouse as always every one care only for own private interests... Sadly, but such is international politic... always was, and seems will be for some time...

Russia and China are nothing exceptional here - they behave like every other country and every other security council member.

su-30mki

Banned Member
I am reallly disappointed with the way India has handled the issue.I am shocked that the Indian decision makers at the top have failed to use the opportunity that has come its way.The indians could have used this opportunity to showcase its interest in democracy.We must understand that the present military junta is in the interest of China and that it will not act anything against Burma's junta as it will interfear there plan of 'pearl strings' across Asia.India has lost a great opportunity to create a great democratic neighbour.

funtz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, when you consider that some of our grand-fathers generation were in Burma giving there lives in the real "Indian National Army", for a democratic nation (although Mr. Bose had other Ideas, the INA was more than just him) it really makes me sad that the people helping us in this struggle are getting no help from us.

In the words of the great mahatma, India is a feeling not just a land with people. Well i am one of those people and i dont feel so good.

Having gone on about this there is a national interest in Myanmar and the dictators, in the words of our Ministers of Parliament, "India will support whoever is in power in Myanmar",

The problem is if we dont give them weapons and money for gas, China certainly will, and then that LPG, which controls every meal made in India, will look a lot more expensive. We have glaring problems of our own to deal with.

As for the military part of it, Indian army will like very much to be a part of military action into Myanmar (the politicians wont), there is some unfinished work in Myanmar, if you know what i mean. ;)