1973 suez crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzy Blizzard

gf0012-aust said:
I'm not sure you could argue that they "got greedy"
GF your right I over simplified. I was just trying to point out that with a well thout out battle plan with achievable objectives, adequate preperations, deception and concentration the Egyptian army could take on the IDF and achieve favorable results.:)

Patzek

The only fact that still stands no matter what you'll say.

a tiny country of 20,000sqr km, warded off 3 countries who each one of them is few times bigger, and with total number of population Israel was probably 1:30.

and still, while 3 countries attacked us in the middle of Yum Kippur ( a holy day in the judaism, where you're not allowed to listen to radio, TV, make any effort, and you also need to fast 24 hours, 90% from the IDF was released for the Yum Kippur day ( total of about 3 days, day before day after ).

People didn't ate, and in the middle of the day ( 2pm ) the alarm goes, and in the middle of the fast, from no where, they have to go to their tanks without anything on them, and defend this country from 3 huge armies.

those armies had a mission, to destroy Israel, since they were failed, and we succeeded to defend our country, there is one winner in this war.

maybe we lost alot of brave men, but they died for a cause, and this cause was accomplished, and still is untill this day.

Ozzy Blizzard

Patzek said:
The only fact that still stands no matter what you'll say.

a tiny country of 20,000sqr km, warded off 3 countries who each one of them is few times bigger, and with total number of population Israel was probably 1:30.
I dont think that anyone can dispute the awesome capability of the IDF, especially for a country of Israel's size. You guys have decimated every army and air force that has attempted to destroy you. :D There is a massive gulf between the capabilities of the IDF an any past or potential oppanants. Thats why it's remarkable that the Egyptian army actually achieved a sucsessfull crossing of the suez canal.

Patzek

Ozzy Blizzard said:
I dont think that anyone can dispute the awesome capability of the IDF, especially for a country of Israel's size. You guys have decimated every army and air force that has attempted to destroy you. :D There is a massive gulf between the capabilities of the IDF an any past or potential oppanants. Thats why it's remarkable that the Egyptian army actually achieved a sucsessfull crossing of the suez canal.

considering the fact the 90% from the IDF were still at their homes 250km away for Suez, and only 200men with about 20 tanks guarded the suez, it is not that surprising..

Ozzy Blizzard

Patzek said:
considering the fact the 90% from the IDF were still at their homes 250km away for Suez, and only 200men with about 20 tanks guarded the suez, it is not that surprising..
Yeah your right, without sucsessful deception or the Mossads suprising failure (sorry i'm not to sure about Israel's inteligence structure, so it might have been another agency) to provide adequate inteligence about the hostile intentions of three agressive neihbours, the Egyptians probably would have benn decimated in the assault fase.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
by the way israel knew when was the attack because elsadat told king of jordan at that time if he wants to participate in the war to get his river back but he refused and in 5th octobar he told golda mayar about the war and its time and israel started in morning of 6 october to prepare the reserve for any possible attackes plus an israel's high rank officer doubt the actions of the egyptian soldiers and asked his soldiers to be prepared just in case

@Big E If this were the case the IAF would have launched pre-emptive airstrikes against Egyptian airfields. This was tactical doctrine of the IDF.
Since Egypt lost Sinai, the egyptians have been making a lot of fuss about attacking Israel and regain Sinai. for time and again the egyptians would've recall their servicemens, put them on stand by and then stand down. So this manage to wear down israel watchfulness overtime.

Egypt know about the many listening posts set up by Israel along the border and they never transmit any info regarding the attack through the airwave.

Israel was confident that their great sand wall and air power would've been anough to repel any early attack by egyptians and gave them time to assemble reserves.

Israel underestimated the capability of the egyptians air defence system and the mobility level of egyptians army.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
This war saw the largest airlift operation ever commited by the US since world war 2. also US release their only operational squadron equip with Maverick missiles and lend it to Israel. since there's no time to train Israeli pilots to use the missile, the package also include the US pilots.

Big-E

Banned Member
Awang se said:
US release their only operational squadron equip with Maverick missiles and lend it to Israel. since there's no time to train Israeli pilots to use the missile, the package also include the US pilots.
So your saying US pilots participated in combat during the Yom Kippur War?:confused:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Awang se said:
This war saw the largest airlift operation ever commited by the US since world war 2. also US release their only operational squadron equip with Maverick missiles and lend it to Israel. since there's no time to train Israeli pilots to use the missile, the package also include the US pilots.
The Egyptians initially tried to ameliorate their air war losses by blaming the americans and implying that they were "reflagged" USN 5th Fleet aircraft, they couldn't work out how the Israelis could maintain high sortie rates when their own russian aircraft were either getting shot down or were failing maint turn arounds - this was comprehensively rejected by the Soviets who were monitoring the US Med Fleet.

Its an urban myth still popular in some parts but fails the credibility tests.

Big-E

Banned Member
gf0012-aust said:
Its an urban myth still popular in some parts but fails the credibility tests.
That's funny that you say that, I'm watching Myth Busters right now. Maybe we should do a show and see if the IAF could actually run that many sorties without US 6th fleet.:p:

long live usa

didint brezhnev send nixon a letter in the middle of the night of oct 23-24 he asked that American and soviet forces be sent to make sure both sides honer the cease fire and said that if the Americans can not work with us on this matter they would take steps to insure isreal did honer the cease fire,so basically they were making a threat to intervine in the war on eygypts side,America quickly increased the DEFCON level from four to three and kissinger along with other high ranking members of staff approved a letter to sadat to drop the the request for soviet assistance saying if the soviets intervined than so would America,eygypt agreed ending the crisis although it is doubtful the soviets would have intervined as they did not want to start a 3rd world war over the matter and accepted an arab defeat

umair

Peace Enforcer
My 2 cents. In the mideast, the Syrians have always made the most noise and been the last ones to fight. All they did was rhetoric, in 67, 73 and the war of attrittion. Infact they were the main instigators of the Six Day war with all their political war mongering and sloganeering. When push came to shove, they were the ones who contributed the least to the Arab efforts in all the Arab-Israel conflicts. I personally speakng have no respect for the Syrian leadership. I like the people but their leaders have been spineless loudmouths IMHO.
BTW to all I've always respected Israel's right to exist so don't start flaming me ok.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
The Soviet doctrine they operated under was poor to begin with and they could not execute that properly which equals the end result of the war, total defeat by a smaller force
Not really, Egypt and Soviet have a very good plan. Their initial plan call for a limited advance into Sinai. Simple saying is, they cross the canal (which itself a record breaking achievement) dug in and wait for the expected israel counterattack. they did crush one, maybe two israel counterattack. the real messmaker is Sadat himself. he throw out the soviet in 72, and he gave several controversial order that contradicted the need of his soldiers. one of this is his insistance for several Egyptian units to advance through Giddi and Mithla without SAM cover. with israel air power, it's obvious what happen next. this of course resulted in a creation of a gap of which Sharon used to cross westward, mopped up the SAMs and cutoff Egyptian 3rd Army.

fithola

Banned Member
Admin. text deleted. you're obviously gunning for an argument when you have an avatar like that.

your style of response is inapprop

your avatar was completely unacceptable and has been changed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.