1967-India China bordar skirmish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highsea

fockewulf190 said:
well Vrus that not the one I mean, I am intrested in the History, It was during the time of Indira Gandhi if I am correct..... and the place name starts wit 'S'... but I don't know which province on India it is. I really would like to know.
fockewulf, is this what you are looking for?

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MONITOR/ISSUE3-3/natarajan.html

And here:

"Sumdorong Cho Valley incident of 1985

...Six and half years later, Deng decided to flex China’s muscles again with India. In mid-1986, it came to the notice of India that the PLA had built a helipad at Wandung in Sumdorong Chu Valley in Arunachal Pradesh. India reacted swiftly and the PLA had an eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation with the India Army in Sumdorong Chu Valley of Arunchal Pradesh in August 1986. After a week of tense moments both sides mutually agreed to withdraw their forces inside their respective territories and create a no man’s land. The Chinese posture at that time clearly indicated that Beijing quickly realised that 1962 cannot be repeated. Afterwards, we saw some writings in the PLA’s official organ, Liberation Army Daily, about the professionalism the Indian armed forces."

http://ignca.nic.in/ks_41065.htm

Salman78

I heard this from someone who was following up the tensions during 1962 india/china clash. To humiliate chineese govt, indian govt hearded some sheeps in front of chineese embassy in delhi. that was the turning point and end of chineese patience. for india, it all went south from there.

abhaystgy

India would have started the fight only if it was well equiped but the outcome of the war was a defeat for it. So i don't think India had started that war. Please note that i am not saying this as i am Indian, I am saying whatever i think is right.

aaaditya

the reason why china attacked india was because india provided asylum for dalai lama and his followers at dharmashala,also there was a border dispute between india and china regarding tawang in arunachal pradesh.

ever4244

chinese vision

I m a chinese student in Beijing, from what i hear from my history teacher (which i cant confirm ), that the seed of crisis is originally bury by Britsh who invade china during the opium wars. and occupied some chinese territory in tibet ,but from qing dynasty to ROC to PRC ,none of the goverment tolerate the occupation . shortly before the independence fo india ,a british official mark the so caller sino-india border by simply make a tour and draw a curve on map, which takes a lot of chinese territory , and that border even british themselves has never formally proclaim till now .however after the beloved Gandhi dead, his successor Niheru(i don t know how to spell) take the border as granted ,and thus came the conflict . At that time no chinese has ever thought about wielding weapon to indian for all the people influenced by official publicization recognise india as best friends of china. Just pay a little thought now ,you can figure out china was not willing to confront india,for the interational environment was too bad for us then to introduce a new enemy--------US and Soviet is enough ruin us. india is the only strong friend left , however , even though the chinese outpost has retreat back to chinaside time and time again to avoid comflict, the indian just advance their outpost right behind us and pierce deep into chinese domain , so the headquartor dicide not to retreat anymore and surely the comflict spark .
what i post is just a translation work for what my teacher told me, so i can t say china is right and india is wrong for i don t know indian s vision .and i hope there is no more such comflict for it is not accord to china s national benefit which is reunion TaiWan and developing the economy and personally i wish one day china can be democratic country

aaaditya

I m a chinese student in Beijing, from what i hear from my history teacher (which i cant confirm ), that the seed of crisis is originally bury by Britsh who invade china during the opium wars. and occupied some chinese territory in tibet ,but from qing dynasty to ROC to PRC ,none of the goverment tolerate the occupation . shortly before the independence fo india ,a british official mark the so caller sino-india border by simply make a tour and draw a curve on map, which takes a lot of chinese territory , and that border even british themselves has never formally proclaim till now .however after the beloved Gandhi dead, his successor Niheru(i don t know how to spell) take the border as granted ,and thus came the conflict . At that time no chinese has ever thought about wielding weapon to indian for all the people influenced by official publicization recognise india as best friends of china. Just pay a little thought now ,you can figure out china was not willing to confront india,for the interational environment was too bad for us then to introduce a new enemy--------US and Soviet is enough ruin us. india is the only strong friend left , however , even though the chinese outpost has retreat back to chinaside time and time again to avoid comflict, the indian just advance their outpost right behind us and pierce deep into chinese domain , so the headquartor dicide not to retreat anymore and surely the comflict spark .
what i post is just a translation work for what my teacher told me, so i can t say china is right and india is wrong for i don t know indian s vision .and i hope there is no more such comflict for it is not accord to china s national benefit which is reunion TaiWan and developing the economy and personally i wish one day china can be democratic country
nehru was a peace loving person and a great friend of china ,he wanted a very close relationship between india and china,however he was also friendly with the dalai lama and offered asylum to him and the tibetan refugees in india ,this soured the relationships between indian and china ,this is still the contentious issue between india and china.

aaaditya

hi guys... there was another border skirmish, I donno the exact time but was during the early 80s.. where the indian army retaliated wit whatever they got..which include heavy mountain guns. I thried to scerch in the internet but I cannot find any link wit a good description... can any one share a light on it????
please
i believe you are referring to the chola rock incident,you can get a detailed article on it from www.bharat-rakshak.com

aaaditya

during the indo-china war the chinese army had a definite dvantage over the indian army in terms of manpower and equipment,however indian airforce was superior to the chinese airforce,since the chinese did not have many airfields in the tibetan plateau as compared to the number of airfields india had in the north east,also chinese planes were not capable of operating from the high altitude airbases of the tibetan plateau with full weapon and fuel load and hence suffered from inadequate range and firepower,indian airforce did not suffer from such limitations,i believe it was the greatest blunder by nehru not to use the airforce ,i guess he overestimated chinese airforce.

eklektos

do you mean the 1962 Sino-Indian War? Anyways, wikipedia has a very good non-biased history of this war:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Indian_War

Also, a bunch of officers in the Indian army compiled the Henderson Brooks-Bhagat Report which was an analysis of the Sino-Indian war. Unfortunately, this report is classified because it is quite critical of both the Indian political and military structure.

However, Neville Maxwell, who studied the war in depth was able to piece together much of this report together. You can read Maxwell's article here:
http://www.rediff.com/news/2002/oct/08max1.htm

Here is an excerpt from the aforementioned article:

In the article that follows, Indians will be shocked to discover that, when China crushed India in 1962, the fault lay at India, or more specifically, at Jawaharlal Nehru and his clique's doorsteps. It was a hopelessly ill-prepared Indian Army that provoked China on orders emanating from Delhi, and paid the price for its misadventure in men, money and national humiliation.

bonita.h

the borber problem between India and China stems from the colonialism of british empire in 19th century and the early of 20th . that's the deep root,as well as that for the Palestine problem,and the conflict between India and Pakistan.

Last edited:

siddhart_basu

Its a half truth

British always kept the Tibet as a cushion from Chinese inavation. For British It was very important because their relation with china was not good. and when sir mac mohan drew the border between Tibet china and India He did not consider the protest from Chinese envoys ..so it kept lingering mean time Mao Zedong took over china and then Tibet. The Tibet was always culturally and politically a different nation yet it was always with chinese in several other aspects. Only in the times of British it was not influenced by Chinese this continued .But army of Mao zedang was preparing since 1950 for the war if not for a conflict with Indian side .they had sent their spy's in the Indian Boarder road building company..they had trained Tibetans as well Chinese in Hindi translational every thing was done very accurately..they had built roads and all other supply lines and it was perfect. But on Indian side The grt Nehru was building his international reputation by shanti mantra.( peace chants) he was neglecting the armed forces so much that he would never talk to chief of armed forces with respect. He always felt that army has a tendency to over throw elected governments ..He had Churchill in his mind who was a great diplomat and the winner of world war 2 and was famous for his diplomacy What Nehru missed was his ability to keep freedom for armed forces in their own management by not letting political bureaucracy interfere with forces of war..The Indian side soldiers weren't heaving even the right mountain war fare equipments so much that even they dint have snow goggles..You can imagine the condition they dint have proper food supply they dint even had the armaments and ammunitions Probably even supply of high quality swords would make much differences .No one for Chinese radio massage translation .forget it The defense minister Krishn menon dint even heed to the advices of the Sam Manek shaw who was a grt soldier of our country( at that point he was of the strong opinion that India must engage Chinese in diplomacy till some minimum preparations) ..and since he would not oblige the fraudulent man who was dear and nearer to Nehru BM koul was made the chief of the Indian armed forces Yet Chinese weren't thinking of attacking Indian side .They requested Indians to come to Dialog various times .This was thought as weakness by Nehru to make things worst Dali lama was given shelter in India and no proper diplomacy was carried out to make Chinese understand the inevitable situation To make Indian heed Chinese started marching in to Twang and Nathula .Nehru the greatest man who ruined our country ( except for established IITs) for his fame asked to take stern action and to teach Chinese a lesson The non sense BM koul Immediately assured Nehru and brought his forward post policy..He asked his commanders initiate a forward post in Nathul;a and Tawang .And even after lot of warning form his subordinates about such foolish act he dint pay attention .and this policy of forward post made all difference Now Chinese wanted to teach ( Though teaching has cost Chinese a lot in Vietnam Cambodia etc ) Indians who were not even the match to todays Mumbai police in its arms were forced to a war ( it was not a war simply people were posted to be massacred ) Even then there were chances to hold Chinese at bay( for even Chinese weren't heaving latest arms just that they had war hardened Veterans) The Indian commanders asked for tactical withdrawal which BM koul promptly rejected who was then holidaying in Kashmir ( AND TILL HE WAS REMOVED HE STAYED HOLIDAYING) and said no one will leave the post ..rest is known to every one ...one complete Raj put brigade( not in its full capacity) was destroyed who were holding the Nathula till their last drop of Blood only Sir Jan P Dalvi ( the then brigedier who was posted just at the time of war) was lived to tell the story because he was taken as POW by chinese And its here that Chinese faced their maximum casualty .

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
All.

Break up your responses into readable and user friendly english. Slabs of typing is unacceptable.

I am closing the thread so that siddhart_basu can re-edit their contribution. It will be re-opened after the edit has been made.

If it's not re-edited, it will be deleted. 48hrs to achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.