What's the name of your favourite military operation?

zamorin

Want to ask:

What's the name of your favourite military operation? You know, like operation market garden, grand slam, desert /shield/storm/monkey etc.

I like the name; Operation Grand Slam because:

It's ambiguous sounding
Less black, more pink
What the heck is grand slam - tennis?

Not macho names like Overlord, Sealion etc - *unique's* the key.:)
:ethiopia :afghan :somalia

I want to know your favourite name of an operation BY name, year, objective,outcome and why the name is unique (that's all, tq)

Ths

Banned Member
My favourite is:
"¤/&%/¤&#(¤%)&/¤(¤%/)=&(=&/?((?" which what Tordenskiold called his campain against the Swedes.

Tordenskiold had an unusually foul mouth - even for a sailor.

Manfred

Ambiguous? How about the "China matter", the code name for a WW1 mission to fly a Zeppelin down to Africa to support Letow-Vorbeck in Tanzania. Of course, It had nothing to do with China at all.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My favorite was Operation Zitadelle, also known as the battle of Kursk. this was a real slugfest between the Germans and Russians, both sides went head to head with each other and littered the battlefield with hundreds of tanks being knocked out, the Germans destroyed more tanks but they could not make up the losses that they had suffered making this battle the death song for the German panzer arm.

DobryFei

My favorite was Operation Zitadelle, also known as the battle of Kursk. this was a real slugfest between the Germans and Russians, both sides went head to head with each other and littered the battlefield with hundreds of tanks being knocked out, the Germans destroyed more tanks but they could not make up the losses that they had suffered making this battle the death song for the German panzer arm.

I agree. It was the greatest battle in the history

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I usually crack up everything I hear "Operation Iraqi Liberation", a mockery of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Definitely my favourite in terms of humour, followed by "Operation Blackcock" by the British in 1945, perhaps a sign that I have not reached full maturity.

In all seriousness, Operation Restore Hope, Somalia, 1992. Didn't go too well though.

LancerMc

I like Operation Bolo, Colonel Old's successful effort to lure the NVAF MiG-21's into a fight agianst the USAF F-4's. The Operation is named after a rather large knife carried by people native to parts of Indonesia & the Philippines.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sign? Which sign?

I never would do anything like this. ;) :D
Really, I don't know how this sign entered my transport basket! :cool:

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Operation Nebelkrähe (Smoke Crow).
An operation to steal this sign from the training area. :D

[img=http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3305/22xp3.th.jpg]
Thats like Operation "smoked cone" which was a successful attempt to move a man sized (6 foot high) dayglow orange cone past the security checkpoint at Yokohama and get it on the boat.

I was absolutely amazed to see this cone with legs walk ten paces and then squat down again, and repeat the process, right past 3 guards having a smoke and through the gate...

:eek:nfloorl:

classic

cheers

w

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
for me it was operation "easter of peace" where dread locked peace protesters were dragged(off camera) by said dread locks and suitably punished before being handed over to AFP...that was kinda fun...and the food was good to! win - win!:nutkick

USNavySEAL3310

Operation: Enduring Freedom, launched by the U.S., would have to be my current favorite operation. It shows a quick military response to a large scale civilian attack. Within a month of the 9/11 attacks, U.S. military forces were mobilized in the Middle East (also in the Philippines) to launch a lightening strike against terrorist targets around the world.