Chess vs. Go

BlCityfan

Banned Member
When it comes to warfare I wanted to know how different the battlefield is viewed from if you played Go (Weiqi in Chinese) compared to if you played Chess? I know that Go is the most complex board game ever built/played and Chess isn't stratergic like Go is but still...

:)

EmperorNortonII

Go doesn't reflect a battlefield- not in today's world. It takes months to train Marines, several years to build a ship, far longer to design and implement a new fighter. Desert Storm lasted a matter of weeks, and the world's 4th largest army was annihilated.

Occupations are occupations, but Chess more accurately reflects a future war between two countries, like the USA and China.

BlCityfan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Go doesn't reflect a battlefield- not in today's world. It takes months to train Marines, several years to build a ship, far longer to design and implement a new fighter. Desert Storm lasted a matter of weeks, and the world's 4th largest army was annihilated.

Occupations are occupations, but Chess more accurately reflects a future war between two countries, like the USA and China.
Not really true at all. Chess only shows different ways to target different enemies at the controller's choosing. While Weiqi really reflects the actual battlefield that goes on in any war. Cause when the enemy is trapped they can't escape, but in Chess the peices can just magically "leap" away out of danger.

Based on your post BOTH games would have the same weakness/liability.

W82DIE

Not really true at all. Chess only shows different ways to target different enemies at the controller's choosing. While Weiqi really reflects the actual battlefield that goes on in any war. Cause when the enemy is trapped they can't escape, but in Chess the peices can just magically "leap" away out of danger.

Based on your post BOTH games would have the same weakness/liability.
Chess could represent a war if the countries had similar power. We also know that whoever makes a big mistake in opening usually loses...

rip

When it comes to warfare I wanted to know how different the battlefield is viewed from if you played Go (Weiqi in Chinese) compared to if you played Chess? I know that Go is the most complex board game ever built/played and Chess isn't stratergic like Go is but still...

:)
I think that Shogi, sometime referred to as Japanese chess, is of all the board games the most like real warfare because it has several qualities within it that mimic real warfare better than western chess or Go. I am not saying it is a better board game. That is a different question entirely.

The two features I am referring too can be seen when you capture an opponent’s piece and then later in the game, in the place of moving one of your pieces then in play on the board, you can drop it anywhere on the board that has an open space as you own piece. I think that makes it far more like real warfare than ether western chess or Go. But that very feature, with all the random qualities that it imparts, lessens the valve of the player's skill in determining the victor and this makes it, as a board game, far less refined. The reason why it is not as popular.