What tank is this?

skurdy

Does anyone know if this is a real tank? If so, what is it?

farm2.static.flickr.com/1344/659681336_39c55c6457_o_d.jpg

Sorry for making everyone copy and paste but this is my first post and I cant have images until I have posted ten times :(

riksavage

Banned Member
Does anyone know if this is a real tank? If so, what is it?

farm2.static.flickr.com/1344/659681336_39c55c6457_o_d.jpg

Sorry for making everyone copy and paste but this is my first post and I cant have images until I have posted ten times :(
Taken on a film set most likely.

skurdy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I figured as much. Only wondering because I was thinking of using it in a FPS game, I guess I'll have to watch transformers now :/

Thanks for the help.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though the 30mm on the turret resemble the T-72 Czech mod, iirc Moderna. And this is a real tank.

skurdy

Hmm. I think I'd prefer using actual tanks so maybe I'll use this instead. It still looks bad ass (a key factor for a video game), plus its real.

What is the purpose of the extra guns on the turret? Are they AA or are they more anti personnel?

skurdy

I believe that is a Barbara Streisand 5000 (aka. BS-5k) Its a T-64 chassis modified with a blow dryer and hair pik. Only 2 were ever made and only one saw action in 1972 when she tried to scale the empire state building.

NICO

What tank is this?

Wow, to quote Arnold, "you are one ugly mother-f***ker!" What a beast! Could it be one of those NBC decon units? I remember reading that Soviets mounted turbine engines on old chassis to blow heat/water/decon stuff NBC on contaminated gear.

vivtho

Wow, to quote Arnold, "you are one ugly mother-f***ker!" What a beast! Could it be one of those NBC decon units? I remember reading that Soviets mounted turbine engines on old chassis to blow heat/water/decon stuff NBC on contaminated gear.
They also used modified turbines off old MiG-15s for snow clearing.

My2Cents

They also used modified turbines off old MiG-15s for snow clearing.
Another example was when they mounted the back half of a MiG-23 on a T-62 chasis to use for blowing out oil well fires in Kuwait after Operation Desert Storm. :hehe

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm. I think I'd prefer using actual tanks so maybe I'll use this instead. It still looks bad ass (a key factor for a video game), plus its real.

What is the purpose of the extra guns on the turret? Are they AA or are they more anti personnel?
Well they can't really target airplanes, they could engage low-flying helos. Mainly I'm guessing area suppression weapons.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They're high-angle guns for AA. The tank supposedly carries 250 rounds of 30mm ammo for each gun, which is definitely gonna cut into ammo storage for the main gun.

The updated Moderna-2 only has one 30mm 2A42, on the right side.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're high-angle guns for AA. The tank supposedly carries 250 rounds of 30mm ammo for each gun, which is definitely gonna cut into ammo storage for the main gun.
The FCS lets it engage fixed-wing aircraft? How? I certainly see no radar...

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Optronics? They're definitely high-angle guns though. And i doubt the version mounted on the Moderna-2 can depress all that much either.

My2Cents

Most modern short range air defense systems, like the Avenger Air Defense System, are designed to operate as part of a system, not autonomously, and do not have on mount radar either. Instead they rely on an external radar equipped vehicle to supply alerts and target cuing.

It is likely that most next generation armored vehicles will have at least a limited AAA capability along these lines, and they will probably quickly evolve an antimissile capability because the helicopters and planes will be using stand-off weapons to stay out of its range! :D

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Most modern short range air defense systems, like the Avenger Air Defense System
I wouldn't call the Avenger a real "air defense system". That's even worse than calling the Chaparral it replaced one. ;)

But yeah, current AD systems work with offboard sensor platforms and networked systems.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Most modern short range air defense systems, like the Avenger Air Defense System, are designed to operate as part of a system, not autonomously, and do not have on mount radar either. Instead they rely on an external radar equipped vehicle to supply alerts and target cuing.

It is likely that most next generation armored vehicles will have at least a limited AAA capability along these lines, and they will probably quickly evolve an antimissile capability because the helicopters and planes will be using stand-off weapons to stay out of its range! :D
if you look at the abrams for ADF, the onboard config is Link 16 sympathetic and it's part olf the broader Link 22 roadmap