Joing The Australian Army!

sss

Joining The Australian Army!

hey people, how are you? i am 19 years old and i been thinking of joining the Australian army for a while now... Can you tell me anything about aus army, do you regret joing the army (australian) ... thank you... all comments would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Last edited by a moderator:

dday

My mate joined, he hated it. He now belongs to the New Zealand army and he loves it. He also moved there and says the same about it, now i am considering it.

Cootamundra

dday said:
My mate joined, he hated it. He now belongs to the New Zealand army and he loves it. He also moved there and says the same about it, now i am considering it.
Mate if you're even considering moving to NZ then you should go, we don't need ya :p: Kiwis, we love em, we hate em - but imagine being there during a Bledisloe and the All Blacks winning!!!!!

Honestly, NZ is a beautiful country with a great lifestyle, but the pay is sh1te and you'll have to fight your way past all of the kiwis migrating to AUS just to get on the plane.:D

Cootamundra

sss said:
hey people, how are you? i am 19 years old and i been thinking of joining the Australian army for a while now... Can you tell me anything about aus army, do you regret joing the army (australian) ... thank you... all comments would be much appreciated. Thank You!
SSS, I suggest you talk with Aussie Digger, he's served in both regular and the chooks so he can tell you exactly what it's like. From all of my discussions and many similar thoughts to yours (at a similar age), i think the AUS army would be great place to work, so long as you can handle a bit of authority, be preapred to work hard and be able to put up with a far amount of bullsh!t. If I had my time again I'd go for it! Cheers....

A

Aussie Digger

Cootamundra said:
SSS, I suggest you talk with Aussie Digger, he's served in both regular and the chooks so he can tell you exactly what it's like. From all of my discussions and many similar thoughts to yours (at a similar age), i think the AUS army would be great place to work, so long as you can handle a bit of authority, be preapred to work hard and be able to put up with a far amount of bullsh!t. If I had my time again I'd go for it! Cheers....
Give it a go mate, you get to fire machine guns and blow sh*t up!!! Where else can you do that in Australia (legally)? The pay's not bad for a young bloke, you get to see a fair bit of this Country, and more and more of other Countries.

Back when I was in, we're were lucky if the battalion got a single overseas trip every 2 years (and that was for an exercise). Nowadays Digs are on continual deployment. Each battalion deploys troops either to SECDET (Security Detachment Iraq) or Op Anode (Soloman Islands) almost every year.

The continued Al Muthana deployments also mean more troops will be required for 5/7 and 2 Cav Regt in the next year or so (as troops are posted out of those units to other units to build up experience levels throughout army and as part of normal posting cycles) and hence the battalions will require fresh troops. In addition there's a fair chance that more deployments are on the horizon, either in SE Asia or the Pacific region, or back to the ME.

Along with the opportunities the operational deployments provide (excellent pay, active service/infantry combat medals, overseas travel etc) the Army is also starting to get some truly world class kit as a result of actually needing said kit to perform ops (as opposed to peace time exercises, where such kit can be hypothetically present)...

There are a couple of downsides, you should be prepared to get told how to live your life, (even when not on duty) you'll get told where you WILL live your life (for 3 years at a time anyway), and what to do, and precisely when... You have to prepared to put up with some absolute knobs, (even if you're an officer) and sometimes (particularly in an Arms Corps unit) you'll get absolutely smashed with work, until you think you can't do anything more...

If I were 19 again, right now, I'd sign up for the regular army in a second. Anything else you might want to do career wise, can probably wait. I myself wanted to be a police officer for a career, and I have achieved this, but I could have joined the police just as easily at 40, as I did at 24. I joined the Army at 17, and enjoyed almost all of it, and only quit (the reserves) in the end, A) because of a person that I couldn't deal with at the time (and I couldn't avoid him) and because I joined a police service.

Even if you end up hating the Army, you're only 19 right now. At worst you'll have to serve 4 years once you sign up. You'll be 22 (and 6 months) when you can apply to discharge (you have to give 6 months notice when you discharge from the regular army, nowadays and they offer you almost everything under the sun to stay in that time too)...

My advice, sign up and join the Infantry or Armoured Corps as a digger. Don't join a support unit, you'll be a pogue and lose my respect!!! :D (Only kidding, pogues have their place...) Don't join Artillery, you'll never deploy anywhere much short of a serious war, and it's bloody hard work manhandling a gun, or so a "drop short" friend of mine tells me (smirk)... Don't become an officer, unless you want to make a career out of the ADF, and you can always do that down the track anyway if you want to.

That's my 2 cents anyway. Feel free to ask any questions, that's what I'm here for...

scraw

sss-

All I can say is good luck and don't let the Manpower idiots get you down, I'm trying for a Helo slot at the moment and it can get a little tiresome.

Keep your goal in sight.

dday

Cootamundra said:
Mate if you're even considering moving to NZ then you should go, we don't need ya :p: Kiwis, we love em, we hate em - but imagine being there during a Bledisloe and the All Blacks winning!!!!!

Honestly, NZ is a beautiful country with a great lifestyle, but the pay is sh1te and you'll have to fight your way past all of the kiwis migrating to AUS just to get on the plane.:D

Yea I think I will go, my mate said he'll go if I go. I did a bit of research and 78% of NZers that come in are asian because they use NZ as a stop off.

admin: comments deleted. plse avoid using responses that could be construed as racist.

Last edited by a moderator:

sss

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey Aussie Digger .... i always wanted to be a police officer, since year one :) ... as my father and uncles were cops overseas... ( Serbia) ... we always had uniform people at our place.. So i thought i will join the army stay there for around 6-7 years till i decide to get married, then start a new career as a police officer ... My parents are scared abit because we all went through hard times during Balkan war and NATO bombings...

ps: i wanted to private msg you but stiill cant... all the best, and when you see a white skyline dont pull me over :D :D

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

sss said:
hey Aussie Digger .... i always wanted to be a police officer, since year one :) ... as my father and uncles were cops overseas... ( Serbia) ... we always had uniform people at our place.. So i thought i will join the army stay there for around 6-7 years till i decide to get married, then start a new career as a police officer ... My parents are scared abit because we all went through hard times during Balkan war and NATO bombings...

ps: i wanted to private msg you but stiill cant... all the best, and when you see a white skyline dont pull me over :D :D
Check the hotmail account you used when you signed up here...

Cheers

AD

kingkobra

Banned Member
sss said:
Hi nice to see that 19 year yong man want to join Aus army but let me tell u some thing i dont know really about Aus army but i know that any Army in the world have very very hard life style and really hard work in asia ppl joins army because they r poor and they have some love for their country and they r bit sensetive about nation love but in europe and usa and Aus i dont know why ppl join military i think some of them have to try that just for fun or some can be nation lover.so u better think for some time before u joine because it is not fun and as easy as computer games or tv games.if u r really ready to live hard life and u love working hard and being aleart all the time than no problem u go for military.Best luck in advance.

sss

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hey evryone i really appreciate your comments ....

Aussie Digger-- Lets say i dont like first weeks in the army, would i be able to leave?? .. sorry for all these questions...;) ;)

rukat

I've never been in the military but I had worked with quite a number of ex-military personnel in my company. The thing I find must impressive about them are that they are disciplined, principled yet having their feet firmly planted on the ground. Real pnice people to be around with. But don't ever pick a fight with them. They must be something about being in the army that makes them who they are. With hind sight if I'm young again, I'd have join the army. Give it a shot!

A

Aussie Digger

sss said:
hey evryone i really appreciate your comments ....

Aussie Digger-- Lets say i dont like first weeks in the army, would i be able to leave?? .. sorry for all these questions...;) ;)
There ARE ways out, but generally if you join the regular Army you won't be allowed out before your 4 years ROSO (return of service obligation) is up.

An option could be if you join the reserves first, to see if you like it? Reserves AFAIK, can quit at any time, (however not in the middle of basic training), but you can't judge service life based on your basic or initial employment training (IET) courses.

The courses are designed to stress you and "convert" you to Army's way of doing business and to provide you with a vast amount of information and training. You generally need to spend a bit of time doing these things before you really know if you like them. Making on the spot decisions about whether you like something or not when you've JUST learnt it, is a bit childish in my view.

During these courses you will also get pushed to what you may think are your limits, but these things are done to teach you. How do you know how far can you run if no-one ever "makes" you try and run it?

It's a natural instinct to stop doing something once it get's tough. It's discipline and a bit of willpower that makes you keep going and that is (to a large degree) what they are trying to show you during basic training.

Always keep one thing in mind. Courses are not designed to fail you. They are designed to make you learn. It's (generally) completely up to you whether you pass or not. The instructors will provide you with everything you need to know, but it's up to you to assimilate it and learn from it.

I tend to think that almost everyone should undertake some military training and service in their life, it gives people (IMO) an insight into themselves, (that is observable with a bit of reflection) that comes from very little else, i this world.

Anyway I'm starting to get preachy. As a training Corporal might tell you, "harden up, mate. You'll be right"...

FLO

Hi boys, just thought i would jump on the bandwagon. Ive just found this forum by pure chance and thought what the hell lets join!! i am a former Wren (Royal Navy) and my hubby is a serving bootneck (Royal Marine Commando) we are in the process of moving to Oz where hubby is transferring to the Oz army. Any info would be much appreciated as we are bringing our three sprogs with us. Anyway glad to be aboard and look forward to the banter.:)

fiona

Snayke

I'm currently 16 and am considering joining the army as soon as I finished year 12. I wanted to talk to a few people who were ex diggers so I could gather more of an insight into the Australian army. I have been recommended to the Australian reserve first and I will do it if possible. I wonder, can the Australian reserves be fit in around year 11/12?

Aussie Digger, do you have MSN or something which I could bug you about the Australian army? :p

Cootamundra

Fiona,
Welcome, and welcome to Australia once you get here. Where will you be living, has your husband been told what unit he will be in? Royal Marines are always going to be well recieved, even if you guys did just win the Ashes!

There are a few ex-Diggers (Aus Army lads) signed up on DT, in particular Aussie Digger should be a handy source of information.
Cheers

A

Aussie Digger

Snayke said:
I'm currently 16 and am considering joining the army as soon as I finished year 12. I wanted to talk to a few people who were ex diggers so I could gather more of an insight into the Australian army. I have been recommended to the Australian reserve first and I will do it if possible. I wonder, can the Australian reserves be fit in around year 11/12?

Aussie Digger, do you have MSN or something which I could bug you about the Australian army? :p
I don't use MSN or anything but you can send me messages once you've posted here 50 times or more. You're already up to 32...

You can technically join the Australian Army at 17, but from what I understand, "Manpower" "buggerises" around so much, you probably won't get in until you're 18 or older. If you want to get in as soon as possible, apply as as soon as you turn 17. I doubt they'll consider an application whilst you're still 16, but you never know. All they can say is, "come back and see us in a few months"...

Should you be let in, you have to consider that even as a reservist you are now required to undertake a 6 week straight basic training course. After that you will be required to undertake your initial employment training which will be a minimum of another 6 weeks straight. This may or may not be done straight away (as a reservist), but possibly several months down the track (depending on the availability of courses).

In the meanwhile you'll be working in the "holding platoon" of which unit you're serving in.

Welcome, Flo, and your husband should he persuse these boards...

Snayke

So basically, I can't really be in the reserves if I'm attending school since the only gap in holidays I get are 2 weeks in length. I wasn't thinking of joining now, but after year 12 when I will be 18 and a few months. I know you can't join when you are 16. You can only apply when you are 16 and something months so you can go straight it when you turn 17.

It will be a bit difficult for me to join the reserves during school. I don't know what other way to actually see what it's like in the army. =/

FLO

Cheers for the welcome Aussie digger,
Hubby is away on exercise but im sure he will do a recce of the forum when he gets back. Do you have any info on the commando units, i believe we will be based in holsworthy on the outskirts of sydney, if all goes to plan.

Yours aye

fiona

scraw

FLO said:
Cheers for the welcome Aussie digger,
Hubby is away on exercise but im sure he will do a recce of the forum when he gets back. Do you have any info on the commando units, i believe we will be based in holsworthy on the outskirts of sydney, if all goes to plan.

Yours aye

fiona
Full time, Commando, Holsworthy... Sounds a lot like 4RAR to me.

If it's that lot they don't have their own site but if you google 4RAR they'd be plenty of links to read up on.