Noise levels of fighter jets.

F-15 Eagle

I don't know if there is already a post about this or not but I was woundering how load do all of the differnet kinds of fighters compaire with one another.

How load is say an F-15 vs an F-16 in noise levels.

What about the F-18, F-22, F-35, Mig-29/31 and SU-27 noise levels and so on.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the noise levels determind by the power of the jet engine like the thrust?

Chrom

I don't know if there is already a post about this or not but I was woundering how load do all of the differnet kinds of fighters compaire with one another.

What about the F-18, F-22, F-35, Mig-29/31 and SU-27 noise levels and so on.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the noise levels determind by the power of the jet engine like the thrust?
Generally, no. Some case as with cars - the more powerful engine, the noisier it is. But 300 PS on Mercedes will be much quiter than 300 PS on Dodge.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?

Let me put it like this.. I don't know the actual sound levels of the SAAB 39 Gripen and the SAAB 37 Viggen.
When a Viggen is touching the trees while you are there trying to catch some fish in the remote forest lake.. it goes: (a rumbling yet light) BRAAAAAAAAM!! and you s*** your pants. The sound felt through the whole body and the ears rung.

When a Gripen is touching the trees at the same remote forest lake where you are fishing... it goes: (a deep) SQRUEEEEEEEM!!! and you s*** your pants. The sound felt through the body and it did hurt in the eardrums.
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=TbzL3bYGmGs"]Close to this (gripen)[/ame]

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me put it like this.. I don't know the actual sound levels of the SAAB 39 Gripen and the SAAB 37 Viggen.
When a Viggen is touching the trees while you are there trying to catch some fish in the remote forest lake.. it goes: (a rumbling yet light) BRAAAAAAAAM!! and you s*** your pants. The sound felt through the whole body and the ears rung.

When a Gripen is touching the trees at the same remote forest lake where you are fishing... it goes: (a deep) SQRUEEEEEEEM!!! and you s*** your pants. The sound felt through the body and it did hurt in the eardrums.
Close to this (gripen)
I take it you have a personal experance with an SAAB 39 Gripen flying no more than 20 feet above your head?:D

I also have an experance when I was at an airshow in the summer of 2004 in Portland, Oregon when 2 F-15s flew no more then 20 feet in front of the crowed that I was in when I heard a loud SQRUEEEEEEEM!!! and I could not hear for 30 seconds and than later an F-16 was flying around doing pretty manuevers and that was really cool....and LOUD!!! Then I wathed the Blue Angles with the F-18s and that was also very loud with a BRAAAAAAAAM!!

When I went to bed that night my ears were ringing so loud that I had trouble sleeping and I think there was some permanet damge to my ear drums and even today my ears still ring whenever its quiet enough.:eek:nfloorl: But it was worth it still.

energo

Not power per se, but - someone correct me if I'm wrong - the speed of the jet exhaust relative to the surounding air and, depending on aspect, the turbine face of the engine.

Some figures on page 5/6:

http://www-nehc.med.navy.mil/downlo..._files/NAVAIR Advanced Hearing Protection.ppt

Regards
Bjørnar
Oslo

F-15 Eagle

Here is an article about that mentions the noise foot print of the F-35. It says "Goodyear Mayor James Cavanaugh noted that Luke's noise zones, which measure the "noise footprint" of a two-engine F-15, would likely fit the one-engine F-35."

The single engine F-35 will be just as loud as the two engine F-15!! Thats ok it just means the airshows will be just as cool.:D..... And more hearing loss for me.:eek:nfloorl:

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special40/articles/0918lplukejsf18Z5.html

F-15 Eagle

We know that it is quite loud at outside however how is the noise level inside the plane?
You mean the noise level for the pilot? Well I'm sure its still pretty loud in the cockpit but not as loud as outside the jet.

On a different note that video of the JAS-39s was awesome!:D

jaffo4011

after 2 visits to the raf cosford air show and once to farnborough and after listening to f15,s,f18,s,typhoons, gripens and the rest,i can confirm that a gr4 tornado on a low level attack profile was the loudest by far......i was deaf for days!

onslaught

They've said that the Tu-95 is one of the loudest. It could even be heard from submarines underwater but I don't know at what depth. A lot of the Tu-95 pilots have had bad ear damage and hearling loss from flying the plane.

Chrom

They've said that the Tu-95 is one of the loudest. It could even be heard from submarines underwater but I don't know at what depth. A lot of the Tu-95 pilots have had bad ear damage and hearling loss from flying the plane.
These myths again... They just dont die...

Lostfleet

Yes I meant inside the cockpit, for example if you were in double seater like F-14 or F-18F would the pilot able to communicate with each other verbally without the intercom?

Is noise detection something that could be explored to detect stealth aircraft that are hidden from radar and IR sensors?
Noise detection was actually used in WWII in Britain against approaching German Bombers. They used huge sound collectors ( shape like a concave shell) to amplify the noise. Of course it was replaced by more common Radar.

windscorpion

Yes i know, i just wonder with directional microphones and modern data processing whether multiple stations could triangulate the position of a warplane from it's noise.

Sea Toby

But the jet can break the sound barrier, and when they do, travel faster than sound. Sorry, sonar won't work.

And besides, although a fighter is very loud, and a sonic boom is even louder, you will notice that you really don't hear them far away, only when they surprise you at short notice.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yes i know, i just wonder with directional microphones and modern data processing whether multiple stations could triangulate the position of a warplane from it's noise.
I've not heard of search/tracking planes by noise (noise would alert the soldier/sailor of approaching aircraft) but I did read somewhere about searching for aircraft by their vorticies.

windscorpion

But the jet can break the sound barrier, and when they do, travel faster than sound. Sorry, sonar won't work.

And besides, although a fighter is very loud, and a sonic boom is even louder, you will notice that you really don't hear them far away, only when they surprise you at short notice.
Well not all aircraft can, but even if you couldn't track them i guess the noise would alert the defender that something was afoot.