i am keeping a presentetion of the russian airforce at school
so can someone please give me soms info
and also their planes
the mig-29
the mig 1.44
the su27 and the su-37
thanks for your help;)
hi i think if you google search what u are looking for that might help
i don't hink the russian AF can afford su37 or 27 the mig 1.44 has been cancelled.

pilot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well the russians builded the su-27/37 so they can affort it

to be more clearer
information about the su 27/37 info about the migs
and i am alreaddy searching with google

pilot

sorry forgot and maybe also some specifications about the russian af like how many airfields they have and such and also about there training

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
still unsure as to what specifically you need re sukhois and migs.

adSh is correct. The Mig 1.44 is a non starter. It was a CTD, has only done 50 hrs total flight time and is not being pursued unless funded privately. It is now a conceptual dinosaur upermost in the minds of russo aviation fanatics. The russian govt blessed all future fighter development for the next generation with sukhoi. mikoyan are thus trying to sell rekitted and refurbed Mig 29's or get venture partners for future platforms (eg the Mig 2000 which is also apparently in the doldrums. Mikoyan, Yakovlev were directed to provide co-operative assistance to sukhoi in future projects (as part of the move to merge the industry into a russo monopoly.

It will be extrememly difficult to get too much detail about Russian AF bases. It's not exactly the kind of thing they talk about. All the commonly known ones are on the net.

Since the hoary old days of the Potsdam Agreement they have also deliberately provided misinformation on co-ordinates. (Although the US messed up that option by using U/TR-2's, Satellites and geomapping satellites to get around it.

pilot

ok to be more clear
how much flight time did the su 27/37 have and what's the flight time for the mig 29
and also how much airfields does russia have 100? 200?
and also what other countrys make use of russian aircraft
and what's russia most advanced plane that they got
and also maybe abit offpopic
what is the top number 5 off the world's most best aircraft.

btw cool pics ;)

A

Aussie Digger

What do you mean by best aircraft? Fastest? Most stealthy? Greatest load carrying ability? Do you mean fighter aircraft or just aircraft (including civilian) in general? Also, do you mean current serving aircraft or aircraft that will come into service within say the next 5 years? My top 5 "fighter" aircraft that are in service AND operational right now are: F15E Strike Eagle, F/A 18E/F Super Hornet, F-16 Block 60 Falcon, Sukhoi SU 30MKI, Australian "HUG" F/A -18 A/B Hornet. That is simply my personal opinion. It is based (partly) on my nationality and partly on my observations of each aircraft's performance in recent years. Cheers.

adsH

Aussie Digger said:
What do you mean by best aircraft? Fastest? Most stealthy? Greatest load carrying ability? Do you mean fighter aircraft or just aircraft (including civilian) in general? Also, do you mean current serving aircraft or aircraft that will come into service within say the next 5 years? My top 5 "fighter" aircraft that are in service AND operational right now are: F15E Strike Eagle, F/A 18E/F Super Hornet, F-16 Block 60 Falcon, Sukhoi SU 30MKI, Australian "HUG" F/A -18 A/B Hornet. That is simply my personal opinion. It is based (partly) on my nationality and partly on my observations of each aircraft's performance in recent years. Cheers.
Aperently you can still buy F-16 block 40 as israel did with added features from the block 60's but i doubt Israel will use the Avionics on bord i am sure they strip down there F-16 and then they do modify them thats what i have heard there EW systems are always different and indiginous(something US is not even alowed to see) and they enhance there radars and there Avionic too so Block 40 would not stay Block 40 but something much better !! :) YOu have to hand it to the Israelis they may come from a small country and a small population but they know where to put there money and where to work hard.

A

Aussie Digger

The Israeli defence industries are extremely advanced and make some of the best electronic warfare equipment in the world. Australia which fortunately has the luxury of being able to chose just about any defence equipment in the world given our economy and stable (and fairly responsible) Government, often chooses Israeli equipment in favour of European or US equipment. This includes the new radar on our Orion Maritime patrol aircraft, self defence jammers on our F-111 aircraft and the new 25mm gun platform on our new Patrol boat fleet are some of the more obvious Israeli equipment that we have acquired. In addition to this I would expect that Israel's new artillery designs would be given some significant consideration in the Australian Armies upcoming Artillery replacement program... Cheers.

adsH

????

Aussie Digger said:
The Israeli defence industries are extremely advanced and make some of the best electronic warfare equipment in the world. Australia which fortunately has the luxury of being able to chose just about any defence equipment in the world given our economy and stable (and fairly responsible) Government, often chooses Israeli equipment in favour of European or US equipment. This includes the new radar on our Orion Maritime patrol aircraft, self defence jammers on our F-111 aircraft and the new 25mm gun platform on our new Patrol boat fleet are some of the more obvious Israeli equipment that we have acquired. In addition to this I would expect that Israel's new artillery designs would be given some significant consideration in the Australian Armies upcoming Artillery replacement program... Cheers.
I am not aware of the Artillery systems these days!! are any artillary guided? artillary systems with the rounds being fired which are guided to its target i have seen concepts of them by the US they apperently have succesfully placed a guidance system in a sniper bullet which uses its tip to move the bullet once in air guiding its way into the target improveing accuracy i think that is impressive couple that up with an exelant marksmen and you have 100% hit rate and i would think the guidance system could possiblly compensate for air currents!!

A

Aussie Digger

The US has had it's Copperhead Munition for a while, which is basically a laser guidance kit fitted to a standard 155mm High Explosive artillery round. Australia uses this as well. It works the same way as a laser guided bomb. A laser target indicator, indicates a particular spot you wish to attack with this munition. The round is fired and the seeker head guides the munition onto the spot marked by the laser. It's very accurate (I've seen footage of the round impacting less than 1 metre away from the target!!!) and has a range of around 16 kilometres. In fact the Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery (when 155mm guns were attached to 6 Battalion Royal Ausralian Regiment, in the mid 1990's during A21 trials) has the longest ever recorded range for the accurate use of weapon at just over 16klms. There are newer types of guided artillery rounds as well that use GPS seekers like JDAM's but I'm unaware of any that are actually in operational service. Gf or Gremlin29 might know. I doubt that a sniper round could actually be fitted with a guidance system, and I doubt the need. They are very accurate already and the rounds themselves, even 0.50 calibre rounds are very small, with the 50 cal being no more than 1 inch in length, and obviously 12.7mm at it's widest... The Copperhead on the other hand is 6 feet high!!!

A

Aussie Digger

Here's a bit more detail about Copperhead and other artillery guided munitions and some pics...

The M712 Copperhead projectile was the first smart artillery round ever developed. Its accuracy is measured in centimeters, and its lethality is impressive. Copperhead is a cannon-launched, 155mm artillery projectile which guides itself to a laser-designated target. The munition is capable of defeating both armor and point targets at ranges of over six kilometers, and provides the battlefield commander with the unparalleled capability of utilizing artillery to the same effect as direct fire weapons and close air support. The system was employed during Operation Desert Storm, during which it met with great success. Copperhead projectiles were used to destroy observation and border guard posts and forward radar installations during the first week of artillery attacks.

The cannon-launched guided projectile (CLGP) M712 (Copperhead) is a 155-mm, separate-loading, laser-guided, HE projectile. It is heavier (137.6 pounds) and longer (54 inches) than the standard 155-mm projectile. The M712 projectile consists of three main sections: a guidance section (forward), warhead section (center), and control section (rear). The guidance section contains the seeker head assembly and the electronics assembly. The nose of the projectile houses a laser seeker in a plastic cone. The warhead section contains an HE antitank warhead consisting of 14.75 pounds of composition B. The control section includes the fins and wings that deploy in flight and allow the round limited maneuverability.

The trajectory of the Copperhead projectile is similar to that of a conventional round. Only when the projectile reaches a point on the descending branch of the trajectory does it differ. At that point, on the basis of the two-digit timer setting included in the fire commands, the guidance and control systems are activated. This enables the projectile to alter the remainder of its trajectory.

At 20 seconds from impact, the laser designator operator begins designating the target. The ground laser operator may use a G/VLLD, a laser target designator (LTD), or modular universal laser equipment (MULE). Airborne systems include the AH-64, OH-58D, and unmanned aerial vehicles. The Copperhead projectile acquires the reflected laser energy and initiates internal guidance and control, allowing it to maneuver to the target.

The ground surface area in which the round can maneuver is limited. The optimum limits of maneuverability of the Copperhead round is called a footprint. The size of the footprint is determined by the range and the shape of the trajectory, but it can also be affected by cloud height. The ballistic aimpoint is usually short of the target location sent by the laser designator operator. The distance that the ballistic aimpoint is short of the target location varies and is called the offset correction. This offset distance is used to ensure that the maximum probability of hit occurs at the original target location sent by the observer. The larger the target location error, the lower the probability of hitting the target.

Picatinny has been at the forefront of Smart Munitions development since the beginning. They have advanced from laser-designated weapons to those using infrared (IR) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and seeker technology to become the recognized leader in smart ammunition.

The first development in smart munitions was the Copperhead, a 155mm, indirect fire weapon that gave artillery a new long range capability to destroy tanks, self-propelled artillery, air defense vehicles, armored personnel carriers and other hard point targets. The Army initiated Copperhead development in 1971 and it was fielded in 1982. Copperhead, officially named the M172 Cannon-Launched Guided Projectile (CLGP), gave artillery the capability to kill a moving or stationary armored target with one or two rounds using pinpoint accuracy. It homes on reflected laser energy and delivers a devastating shaped charge warhead for one-shot target destruction using established communications methods and requiring less overall logistical support. As the world's first smart, guided artillery round, Copperhead is no longer in production but serves as a valuable benchmark for precision-guided mortar munitions.

Examples of Smart Munitions Being Developed and/or Fielded by Picatinny

The Precision Guided Mortar Munition (PGMM) adds a new dimension to the battlefield by extending range and precision strike capability. This significantly improves the survivability of friendly forces, reduces collateral damage, increases the lethality of the Army's lift capability and streamlines the logistics tail, which is critical to rapid deployment. The use of PGMM requires no modification to the force structure since it is launched from standard 120mm mortar tubes on existing platforms, and the single-shot lethality of PGMM makes it very cost effective.

The XM982 Excalibur Extended Range Projectile is a 155mm artillery fire-and-forget guided projectile that features a jam resistant GPS receiver and an inertial measurement unit guidance package. The Excalibur projectile, with nonballistic flight path, provides field artillery with improved fire support through an extended range using emerging technologies. It offers enhanced accuracy, reduced fratricide from cannon Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munition (DPICM) firings due to self-destruct/sterilization features and a more lethal family of 155mm projectiles.

The Sense and Destroy Armor (M898-SADARM) is the Army's first smart fire-and-forget, top-down attack, multi-sensor artillery munition. Engineers at Picatinny headed up the design, development and procurement effort. SADARM was designed for precision engagement of self-propelled howitzers as well as other lightly armored vehicles. By destroying the enemy's counterfire capability, SADARM enabled friendly forces to move at will and dominate the battlespace. Due to affordability issues, the SADARM is currently not produced. Production could begin immediately if necessary.

The next phase of ammunition for traditional line-of-sight (LOS) or direct fire combat system is to expand their lethal range to engage targets at extended LOS and Beyond Line-of-Sight ranges out to 8km+. The primary munition technology is the 120mm Mid-Range Munition (MRM) which is currently under development at Picatinny for the Mounted Combat System for FCS. MRM is a fire and forget, guided, "smart," tank fired, projectile that could employ either a kinetic energy penetrator or an advanced warhead to defeat any high valued target to include the most advanced armored threats. MRM greatly enhanced system lethality and force survivability. MRM will have dual mode sensor enabling either full autonomous acquisition of vehicle targets in it's field of view or can be directed to engage a specific vehicle or non-signature target through the use of a laser designator. The guidance concept will be demonstrated via guide-to-hit experiments currently in process. MRM could also be fired in the future by the current Abrams tank extending the life of the tank and improve lethality. MRM will increase the battlespace available to U.S. forces in early engagement without requiring an increase in the forces' logistics footprint.

http://w4.pica.army.mil/PicatinnyPublic/products_services/products01.asp

Hope this is of some help...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The US has been trialling guided mortar rounds in Afghanistan, AFAIK the Indian Army is also looking at guided mortars as well.

pilot

who thank you VERY much guys
i dont need tho know stuf about artilery
just about aircraft
and with a top 5 airplanes i meant the current airplanes that are now in use
and i meant the most destuctive planes
and can you maybe give me a few other airplane sires
thanks but please stay ontopic ;)
and also maybe abit information about the su 27/37 and the mig 29

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
planes aren't destructive, it's their loadouts that count. on that basis you could stick an aphid or an alamos onto a jumbo jet and get a perfect kill in a given situation.

planes by themselves are absolutely useless - which is something that tends to be ignored when making "10 best" lists.

eg, a Flanker without AWACs is just a good Farnborough machine.

pilot

ok let i tell it you guys that way
what is the top 5 most best allrounders so basicly abit from everything ;)
and also plz infi about the su/27/37 and mig 29

adsH

gf0012 said:
The US has been trialling guided mortar rounds in Afghanistan, AFAIK the Indian Army is also looking at guided mortars as well.
i know this thread is for aircrafts but i had to point this out the Israelis Pentagon and Pakistan ISI had developed and used guided mortar round in afghanistan in the 80s against the Soviets!!! so i have read if they integrate mortar rounds with GPS that would be a waste because i don'think it would be cost effective.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
adsH said:
gf0012 said:
i know this thread is for aircrafts but i had to point this out the Israelis Pantagon and Pakistan ISI had developed and used guided mortar round in afghanistan in the 80s against the Soviets!!! so i have read if they integrate mortar rounds with GPS that would be a waste because i don'think it would be cost effective.
For some countries it becomes an issue of tactical imperative and opportunity, not just cost effectiveness. To flush out mountain warfare operators can require long range precision ballistic solutions - which is why both the Indian Army and Pakistani army kit their mountain troops with mortars. At this stage, although they may not be precise (when unguided), they are still ideal as containment weapons.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Re: ????

adsH said:
I am not aware of the Artillery systems these days!! are any artillary guided? artillary systems with the rounds being fired which are guided to its target i have seen concepts of them by the US they apperently have succesfully placed a guidance system in a sniper bullet which uses its tip to move the bullet once in air guiding its way into the target improveing accuracy i think that is impressive couple that up with an exelant marksmen and you have 100% hit rate and i would think the guidance system could possiblly compensate for air currents!!
I don't think today's technology can actually fitted a guidance system into a sniper bullet, even a 20mm round.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Re: ????

Awang se said:
I don't think today's technology can actually fitted a guidance system into a sniper bullet, even a 20mm round.
The smallest development that I've heard of is a 40mm guided munition.

The US has managed to develop .50cal exploding rounds, which was prev limited to 20mm anti-materiel weapons.

It makes the possibility of a .50 cal anti-materiel squad weapon an easier reality (rather than platoon level)