Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs)

God Bless USA

The Israeli Air Force (IAF) bought the F-16I with conformal fuel tanks. Why hasn't the USA used the conformal fuel tanks on there F-16's? Also can conformal fuel tanks be used on other fighter aircraft?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
CFTs need internal rewiring, plumbing and structural modification to be supported on an aircraft.
The US F-16 fleet simply does not have this, only a few dozen of the USAF F-16s are Block 52 anyway (equivalent Block to those export aircraft that received plumbing for CFTs).

rjmaz1

The Israeli Air Force (IAF) bought the F-16I with conformal fuel tanks. Why hasn't the USA used the conformal fuel tanks on there F-16's? Also can conformal fuel tanks be used on other fighter aircraft?
Conformal tanks cannot be jettisoned this is their biggest disadvantage. They give less drag than a normal fuel tank but they still give increased drag compared to a clean aircraft that has jettisoned its under wing tanks.

The USAF has enough tanker assets to not worry and have obviously decided that the extra speed is more valuable. The only countries that have conformal tanks on their F-16's use them in the long range strike role and often have very limited tanker assets.

God Bless USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any current fighter aircraft other than the F-16I that has the conformal fuel tanks? If so where can see photos of it.

sierrahotel

The first aircraft with CFT is the F-15 (Known as FAST pack: Fuel And Sensor Tactical).The tanks are fitted below the fuselage alongside the engine insertions and can be seen in any F-15 photo.CFTs are tested for use with Eurofighter,Rafale and Gripen.

rjmaz1

Is there any current fighter aircraft other than the F-16I that has the conformal fuel tanks? If so where can see photos of it.
The F-15E is the only other operational aircraft i can think of.

The F-15E is an example of turning a medium weight fighter into a heavy weight strike fighter. Extra fuel allowed the lighter to F-15 to replace many of the roles performed by the retired F-111. Even with the decreased agility and acceleration created by such tanks it would still be greater than the F-111.

Conformal tanks on the F-16 is an example of turning a light weight fighter into a medium weight strike fighter. Countries like the the US can simply buy a strike fighter in the first place.

Studies of conformal tanks for the Rafale and Eurofighter are currently being done as far as i know. Again these tanks will be used to turning the aircraft from a short ranged fighter to a medium ranged strike fighter.

God Bless USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've read the F-18 Hornet A/B and C/D did not carry alot of fuel internally. Would the conformal fuel tanks help this aircraft have greater range? How about the E/F model which has greater range wouldn't it have helped it also?

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Boeing is developing CFTs for the super hornet. Too bad that the original developers ie Israel never did CFTs for the hornet for the simple reason that it did not operate any.
Israel? An original developer of the Hornet??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Read carefully pls.

Israel was the developer of CFTs. As they did not possess any F-18s, they did not develop CFTs for the F-18s. Hence, it is up to Boeing, as the original developer of the F-18s, to adapt the CFTs for the Hornet.
I DID read it very carefully, several times in fact, hence my confusion! :rolleyes:

Anyway, there are not a lot of options for the placement of CFTs on a Hornet due to it have a relatively flat upper fuselage and the airflow characteristics over the LEX, and the already narrow clearance margins between the air intakes and wing stations 3 and 7.

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Then my apologies for the confusion and hopefully my subsequent post clears...

I believe the likely option is to position the hornet CFTs similar to the F-16.
I would even consider a design that covers the centre fuselage but I'm not sure if there are any electronics housed in that area. I'm no aeronautical engineer. I also believe there will be an added issue of how CFTs will affect carrier take-off/landings.

However, the business case for CFTs is appealing especially for earlier versions of the hornet. This is so for the RAAF where the extra range would be appreciated.

I think also there will some impetus to develop ejectable CFTs but that's merely speculation at this point.
It seems to me that CFT's for the Hornet series would be desirable when it is in the tanker role, the more fuel it can carry the better.

Ozzy Blizzard

Then my apologies for the confusion and hopefully my subsequent post clears...

I believe the likely option is to position the hornet CFTs similar to the F-16.
I would even consider a design that covers the centre fuselage but I'm not sure if there are any electronics housed in that area. I'm no aeronautical engineer. I also believe there will be an added issue of how CFTs will affect carrier take-off/landings.

However, the business case for CFTs is appealing especially for earlier versions of the hornet. This is so for the RAAF where the extra range would be appreciated.

I think also there will some impetus to develop ejectable CFTs but that's merely speculation at this point.
IIRC the MiG 29M used a single CFT along the spine of the aircraft behind the cockpit. Perhaps this is the best place on the hornet familly?

As for ejectable CFT's, AFAIK the F-16's CFT's only incur 11% of the drag penalty the under wing tanks do. Thats almost negledgable, so i dont know if it would really be worth it.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
When i first saw F-16I, I thought the pods is some sort of antenna array housing for side-looking Radar or ESM/ECM pods.

dragonfire

Would the CFTs on the Block 50/52/60 F-16 increase the size of its RCS. It looks from pics that the CFTs give a different silhouetee to the aircraft with CFTs adding additional physical dimensions behind the cockpit. But perhaps the designers intended minimal radar reflection considering how important LO features are for the Americans. Inputs anyone

Thanks in advance

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would the CFTs on the Block 50/52/60 F-16 increase the size of its RCS. It looks from pics that the CFTs give a different silhouetee to the aircraft with CFTs adding additional physical dimensions behind the cockpit. But perhaps the designers intended minimal radar reflection considering how important LO features are for the Americans. Inputs anyone

Thanks in advance
This is conjecture but I would think they'd increase the RCS at the angles at which they're visible, yes. Just going by the additional bulky surfaces and so forth - if pylon carried payloads increase RCS I don't see why the CFTs wouldn't.

That said, certain F-16s have had RCS-reducing measures performed on them under the programs "Have Glass" and "Have Glass II", though it can be a bit difficult to find information on these things obviously. A bit of googling around should give you some info on the RCS reduction measures.

Whether or not such measures included some kind of allowances for reducing CFT RCS I'm not sure. I've seen pictures of a Blk 60 with the L-M Skunkworks logo on its CFTs and they'd certainly know a thing or two about LO, but I think that had more to do with configuring the CFTs with a refuelling probe than it did RCS reductions. Still, you never know.

So whether or not an aircraft with the Have Glass modifications and the CFTs ends up with a larger or smaller RCS compared to a standard Blk 52 I have no idea, but I hope the information helps anyway. :)

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Just an uninformed guess here but a CFT will not have the right angle traps where a pylon is hanging from a wing as such you'd think a CFT would make a lower addition to the radar signature than drop tanks. Having said that we are talking about an aircraft that already has a fairly large signature (guesswork here) compared to the 5th gen airframes is this a pretty pointless argument?