Where can I find information??

outsidetheglass

My father flew the F5 Freedom Fighter in Vietnam. He was shot down during a mission. I would like to find information about this event. How would I do this?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
My father flew the F5 Freedom Fighter in Vietnam. He was shot down during a mission. I would like to find information about this event. How would I do this?
Do you have any more information about him? What unit he was with, any old photos of aircraft that might have serial numbers visible, things like that? Detail like this could be a really good starting point for online research. If you have his unit details, you could start by having a look for websites or forums relating to that unit. Failing that, you could search for info more specifically related to the topic - for example, you should be able to find plenty of people online who have the same desire to research the service histories of their family members. In addition you could try asking around any forums you can find that are dedicated to Vietnam-era history and/or aviation.

Another avenue would be to inquire on various family research sites about the best way to go about your search. This doesn't have much to do with the Vietnam War, but people who have assembled detailed family histories should be able to give you excellent advice on research techniques, offline sources, etc.

There were only a handful of F-5 losses in Vietnam, correct? The aircraft type should narrow the list down quite a bit...

Out of curiosity, did your father fly for the United States, or South Vietnam?