US-Indonesian Model Escapes Abusive Malaysian Prince

sunshin3

JAKARTA (AFP) – A teenage US-Indonesian model has returned to her family in Indonesia with tales of abuse, rape and torture at the hands of a Malaysian prince, after her dramatic escape with the help of Singapore police. Manohara Odelia Pino, 17, told reporters she was treated like a sex slave after her marriage to Tengku Temenggong Mohammad Fakhry, the prince of Malaysia's Kelantan state, last year...

...the young woman -- a well-known socialite in Jakarta -- said her life at the royal palace involved a "daily routine" of rape, abuse, torture and drug injections which made her vomit blood...

"Sexual abuse and sexual harassment were like a daily routine for me, and he did that every time I did not want to have sexual intercourse," she was quoted as saying in The Jakarta Globe. "I could never think a normal man could do such things," she said, adding: "Some parts of my body were cut by a razor."

...She said she secretly called Singaporean police and pleaded for help after the royal family took her to the city state when they accompanied Fakhry's father, Sultan Ismail Petra Shah II, for medical treatment.

A spokesman for the Indonesian foreign ministry said the government would help Manohara if she wanted to file charges against her husband...
Instead of focusing on the fact that the Indonesian-Malaysian navies had another near confrontation at sea, this story on the ordeal suffered by Manohara (more Jakarta Globe details here) is all over the newsheadlines in Jakarta.

Last edited:

Dreamcatcher

The masses have different interest interests

That is why you can often find tabloids at the supermarket checkout / magazine stand, as scandal sells.
C'mon, to the common man in the street, the story of a pretty girl fleeing an abusive husband has more resonance than that of a sea or border encroachment, u see.

The Manohara story had more of a scandalous note.

I blogged about these two issues together in one post abt 10 days ago, and funnily enough it was after this that the local media in Malaysia picked it up.
Two days later it hit the TV. With some sour-faced responses from the Indonesian diplomats.

I dunno why Malaysia would rile its neighbour that way. It is kinda sad.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
With regards to the 2009 Ambalat naval incidents, most of the information on Malaysia's latest 'intrusions' are released by Indonesian sources. Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno, the Indonesian navy chief of staff said Malaysia had trespassed the Ambalat area 76 times in 2007, 23 times in 2008 and 11 times in 2009. OTOH, the Malaysian side seems to be trying to play down the issue. I'm not sure what is going on but I hope both parties can resolve it peacefully.

sunshin3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
C'mon, to the common man in the street, the story of a pretty girl fleeing an abusive husband has more resonance than that of a sea or border encroachment, u see.

The Manohara story had more of a scandalous note.

I blogged about these two issues together in one post abt 10 days ago, and funnily enough it was after this that the local media in Malaysia picked it up.
Two days later it hit the TV. With some sour-faced responses from the Indonesian diplomats.

I think it is only fair to say that the reporters needed time to check out the sources before reporting it in papers. It is quite a challenge for any media to apologize (if the claims were false) especially when it deals with royalty.

Dzirhan

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
In regards to Ambalat, the problem is that what the Indonesian regard as their waters is shown as our (Malaysian) waters on our charts so you can see the problem there :)