The constitution and the army.

A.Mookerjee

Banned Member
I have started reading again, 'The Indian Army' by Stephen Cohen. The Indian Army, along with allegiance to the constitution of India, must have an allegiance directed towards itself. The constitution of india is a democratic constitution, as is the constitution of the United States. In the United States, the citizen of the United States has the right to be armed, in provision so that if there is an environment not conducive for the proper functioning of the constitution in the United States, in any situation, then the citizen has the recourse of individual liberty. This is too drastic for a state like India, but the sentiment of the constitution of the United States should be saluted by the armed forces of all nations, including that of India. This book is an excellent account on the writings of Mr Stephen Cohen. I was not a great admirer of the book in the past, but I am an admirer now, thanks to the good efforts of Mr Cohen. The Indian Army, when it takes oath of allegiance to the constitution of India, and the President of India, is in reality taking oath to it's own existence, and the sanctity of it's own existence. The oath must be regarded in letter and spirit, not either in letter or in spirit. I am reading the book from the beginning and am currently reading the first few pages of the book. Perhaps, I will post my observations on the book in DefenceTalk.com, after I have read the book.