Testing the Nikon Z7 II; What a Great Camera with Super Focus

Redskin301

This video contains a sample of the new Nikon Z7 II mirrorless camera. I used this camera for the first time at Eindhoven Air Base. During the tests, two Ryan Air airliners and the KDC-10 of the Royal Netherlands Air Force passed by. I initially filmed the Ryan Air planes from the tripod with the Nikon Z7 II and the Nikon 200-400 f4.0 lens. In retrospect, it turned out that I could better have turned off the stabilizer of the lens, because the camera is so stable on the tripod that the stabilizer will counteract the stability instead of improving it. That was a learning moment to turn off the stabilizer on a tripod in the future. When filming handheld during the landing of the KDC-10, this effect was immediately gone, because here the stabilizer does its job perfectly. I filmed the KDC-10 that arrived by hand in combination with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens. By setting the camera to DX, I had more than enough millimeters to track this large plane as it landed. I filmed the KDC-10 with a frame rate of 60 fps. The result is that the aircraft is recorded in slow motion in my sequence that plays at 25 fps. Due to the wet runway due to the rainfall, this resulted in some very nice shots. The Nikon Z7 II in combination with the two aforementioned lenses is a deadly combination when it comes to sharpness and focus speed. After reading many reviews on the internet, the camera has now also proven itself in practice during a drizzly day in terms of weather. The FTZ adapter that is needed to work with my older lenses also works fine. There is no loss to be found in the recordings and the combination is very easy to handle. The combination cannot be compared to the Sony AX33 that I have used so far. However, comparing these two cameras is comparing apples to oranges and is therefore not fair. The conclusion is that, despite the very cold and humid weather, the Nikon Z series will be a pleasant addition to my set. In the meantime I have ordered younger brother of the Z7 II in the form of the Nikon Z6 II and this camera will become my primary camera for making film upon delivery.

Sandhi Yudha

Bad cloudy weather, but a very sharp and stable result. A great video!!

So a Sony AX33 and Nikon Z7 II are not enough, you really need an additional camera?

Redskin301

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, I tested the Nikon Z7 II and decided to buy the Nikon Z6 II. The Z7 was a borrow from the store ;-)
De Z6 II will replace my Sony AX33! That's it :)