Speed matter of JF-17..... Mach 1.6 is too slow.

jastreb

HI Friends !

I ve heard that the intended TOP-SPEED of JF-17 (Thunder) is way too slow, and may indicate a lack p/w ratio.

Speed though said not to be essential in modern combat, however a measure of performance just as acceleration, climb, payload, etc and the JF-17's intended speed is similar to the MIG 19 (old version).

I think it should be at least mach 2.0 or 2.2 and the aircraft should also be able to accelerate at least as well as F 16 A/B Blk 15 and also that the JF-17 should be upgreadable..

Thanking in advance: :smokingc:

The Watcher

Well, I don't know of any confirmed reports claiming that the speed is 1.6 machs... but you have to remember that its a new plane, only two prototypes have been tested and is under going more R%D... which will surely increase its capabilities.

Its a great thing for Pakistan even with 1.6 mach speed. After its sucess, hope to see more good and cheap stuff coming from pakistan and china's friendship and no doubt that we will.

Oqaab

jastreb said:
I ve heard that the intended TOP-SPEED of JF-17 (Thunder) is way too slow, and may indicate a lack p/w ratio.

Speed though said not to be essential in modern combat, however a measure of performance just as acceleration, climb, payload, etc and the JF-17's intended speed is similar to the MIG 19 (old version).

I think it should be at least mach 2.0 or 2.2 and the aircraft should also be able to accelerate at least as well as F 16 A/B Blk 15 and also that the JF-17 should be upgreadable..
For ur kind information, the older version of Mig-19 had a maximum speed of Mach 1.4 (or less) since it was the worlds first supersonic fighter.

Anyways, do u know USA is replacing its 2000 F-16s (mach 2) with 2500 JSFs (mach 1.5).

shamsi

Get some of your metrics right. Most combat aircraft cannot cruise supersonic, except for the UD F-22. Hence, Mach 1.6 or 2.6 doesnt matter for us really, the electronics package, BVR weapons, ECCM, and short radius response manuvering does. And BTW, our version of teh Mig-19, Shenyang F-6 was hardly supersonic.

Aircraft aren't just numbers you can compare with. Get beyong playing your computer simulators!

nsdap_id

The reason why modern combat aircraft gets slow at Mach 1,...probably to make it agile in combat. If we see Mach 2 jet, it is too fast to catch its opponent - sometimes overshoot -, let's take a look at 1971 Indo-Pak when an Indian Fishbed were overshot in intercepting Pakistani F-86 Sabre. The slug-speeded latter - used its low speed - abled to knock-down it with Sidewinder assisterd by GCI.

Also in Iran-Iraq war, an Iraqi MiG-25 flown by Iraqi Ace called "Tiger of Iraq" down by 20mm gunfire from both of Iranian F-5E (!! :eek ) and Phoenix from F-14A.

Anyways, do u know USA is replacing its 2000 F-16s (mach 2) with 2500 JSFs (mach 1.5).
Oqaab, is it true? Can u give me the link to prove it myself?? Hmm...looks like JSF look-alike prospect seems to be bright tomorrow :D :D :D The Iranians must be proud with their own JSF, Shafagh :iran :indonesia :pak

Winter

Going on three thousand as well...

http://www.jsf.mil/

The official program website...There are many figures lying about...Better check yourself...:frosty

US purchases:

US Air Force - 1763
US Navy - 480
US Marine Corps - 609
Total - 2852

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Mach 1.6 is ok for a sub continent scenario cuz aircraft mostly dont exceed the Mach 2 limit cuz of the tight fuel limit. So its better to judge the aircraft by its fuel limit and if thats sufficient then give ur judgment on speed.

Oqaab

Oqaab, is it true? Can u give me the link to prove it myself?? Hmm...looks like JSF look-alike prospect seems to be bright tomorrow The Iranians must be proud with their own JSF, Shafagh
Why do u want links for that ??? Dont u know JSF will be replacing F-16s ????

JSF will replace F-16s
F-22 Raptor will replace F-15s
F-18 will replace F-14s

Do u still need link ????

Winter

The JSF will also replace the A-10 in the USAF, the AV-8 and F/A-18A/C/D in the Marine Corps as well as 'complement' the USAF F-22 and the USN F/A-18. That is why they are being bought in such large numbers...

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Winter said:
The JSF will also replace the A-10 in the USAF, the AV-8 and F/A-18A/C/D in the Marine Corps as well as 'complement' the USAF F-22 and the USN F/A-18. That is why they are being bought in such large numbers...
Winter I hope it doesn't turn into a case of putting all your eggs in one basket.

What do you think??? :?

Winter

Good point shamayel...

The United Kingdom is embracing it even more...In a few years the RAF and Fleet Air Arm would be dominated almost exclusively with just Eurofighters and Joint Strike Fighters. The same is happening in the US to some extent, with the F/A-22 and Joint Strike Fighter. There have been minor complaints raised, such as the abandonment of close air support, though only in the US. I feel the UK may perhaps sorely realise having a supersonic stealth strike aircraft may be slightly out of depth as a replacement for the versatile Harrier....?

:frosty

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
If NATO isnt feeling so bad about Russia wont it induct or atleast invest in the Mig 1.44 and S-? next generation aircraft? and make the T-60 thier primary bomber

Winter

No, because NATO countries will build and acquire what they want and need, and most NATO countries don't and won't start mass-investing in Russian technology, especially military technology...Then there are fundamental things, like quality control and Russian system tech works completely differently.

umair

Peace Enforcer
nsdap_id said:
The reason why modern combat aircraft gets slow at Mach 1,...probably to make it agile in combat. If we see Mach 2 jet, it is too fast to catch its opponent - sometimes overshoot -, let's take a look at 1971 Indo-Pak when an Indian Fishbed were overshot in intercepting Pakistani F-86 Sabre. The slug-speeded latter - used its low speed - abled to knock-down it with Sidewinder assisterd by GCI.
The 1971 dogfight mentioned here didn't happen this way.The mig was a gun kill. If anyone wants to know more about this and other PAF battles then they should visit the following site:
www.pafcombat.com

This is a very detailed and accurate site with authentic sources.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Hez right the mig was a gun kill and it was done so by maneuvering and good speed control...and an exellent aim!

Londo Molari

Yeah, the speed of Mach 1.6 is really not that impressive... but the JF-17 is primarily a BVR missile launch platform for Pakistan, and it might as well be stationary... wont make a difference in that role.

As for Mach 1.6...

LCA's top speed: Mach 1.7
JSF's top speed: Mach 1.6
F-22's CLAIMED top speed: Mach 1.7

So its not that bad.