KAI KF-21

Sandhi Yudha

First F414 Engine for KFX/IFX program has been delivered to South Korea

Ahmad, please put everything concerning KFX in this thread S.Korea, Indonesia to develop 4.5 gen fighter aircraft KFX

1. That thread created for topic related to all KFX/IFX, thus being put in separate thread from Indonesian AF thread, and ROKAF thread,
2. Until Indonesia clear still in the program, there's no IFX, and only KFX so far.

EDIT: I have moved Ahmad's engine post over there.
Ngatimozart.
Like Ananda, i also call this project just KAI KFX (without IFX). After multiple years 'forgot' to pay the required funds, its obvious that the current administration doesnt want to continue with this project.
Its for South-Korea better to continue alone, without such an unreliable partner.

Ahmad

Like Ananda, i also call this project just KAI KFX (without IFX). After multiple years 'forgot' to pay the required funds, its obvious that the current administration doesnt want to continue with this project.
Its for South-Korea better to continue alone, without such an unreliable partner.
Well, technically we are still inside the program until there is news in the future who say otherwise, so I believe any one here still has the right to say the program as KFX/IFX. The renegotiation is still happening and we dont know the result yet.

This is the Critical Design Review (CDR) meeting in September 2019

1593179832309.png
1593179876582.png

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Well at least the Koreans continue with developing and improving their defence capabilities.

30 JUNE 2020 00:00 GMT+0

South Korea to develop supersonic ASM for future KF-X fighter aircraft

by Gabriel Dominguez

South Korea is planning to develop a new supersonic air-to-surface missile (ASM) that is expected to be carried by the Republic of Korea Air Force’s (RoKAF’s) future Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) multirole fighter aircraft.

More info at South Korea to develop supersonic ASM for future KF-X fighter aircraft

Ahmad

Leak of KFX/IFX prototype has been circulated online. The original one comes directly from KAI magazine.

Sandhi Yudha

Leak of KFX/IFX prototype has been circulated online. The original one comes directly from KAI magazine.
I couldn't find anything about the photo leakage of the KFX prototype. But it should look very similar to the mock-up presented last year. It is a conventional single engine design without canards. (Edit: looking to the images on KAI's website, its a twin engine design without internal weaponbay.)
Some specs were also released: Max range 2900 km, max speed 2200 km/h and the F414-GE-400K will deliver 44.000 lbs of thrust.

Sadly there is no recent news yet about the KFX avable on the internet. Only that on 30 June 2020, Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) announced it has received a USD 575 million (688 billion-won) contract from the South Korean Ministry of Defense and its Defense Acquisition Program Administration to manufacture twenty TA-50 lead-in fighters for the Republic of South Korea Air Force (RoKAF) by 2024. It seems to be the second order for the TA-50.

Last edited:

Ahmad

I couldn't find anything about the photo leakage of the KFX prototype. But it should look very similar to the mock-up presented last year. It is a conventional single engine design without canards.
Some specs were also released: Max range 2900 km, max speed 2200 km/h and the F414-GE-400K will deliver 44.000 lbs of thrust.

Sadly there is no recent news yet about the KFX avable on the internet. Only that on 30 June 2020, Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) announced it has received a USD 575 million (688 billion-won) contract from the South Korean Ministry of Defense and its Defense Acquisition Program Administration to manufacture twenty TA-50 lead-in fighters for the Republic of South Korea Air Force (RoKAF) by 2024. It seems to be the second order for the TA-50.
That is a double engine.

Here is the leak, coming from SK Facebook Page. AESA radar development also said by this page as already been finished and will be officially announced in August

1594015566650.png

Sandhi Yudha

That is a double engine.

Here is the leak, coming from SK Facebook Page. AESA radar development also said by this page as already been finished and will be officially announced in August

View attachment 47481

Thank you for sharing! Its good to see that even without financial support of their unreliable partner, there is still progress with the prototype, AESA radar and engine.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I put the link to Bemil Chosun site on their analysis on how KFX will be use by ROKAF in the case situation getting hot with the North. I know it's not official analysis but so far Bemil Chosun is quite 'realistic' media/forum on South Korean military.

The main point of what they wrote seems related to KFX being use as support role for F-35. They are very clear on the analysis that in no way KFX even in the form of more 'stealthy' development in Batch 2 and Batch 3 will be equivalent to F-35.
What ROKAF looking is platform that are more advance then their F-4 and F-16, and still relative cheap enough to acquired and operate.

The scenario talk about first day of the war with the North, and F-15K will provide volley of long range cruise missiles from around the border (they talk on Taurus Cruise Missile), with F-35 enter deep penetration SEAD and KFX will then provide cover (I suspect on way back) for potential Air Adversaries that will follow F-35 back.

The way I see it, KFX in the Batch 1 have semi recessed AAM missiles (can be AMRAAM or Meteor), which perhaps even though they have under wing pilons, will not be used when they covering F-35 way back journey. This means KFX will still be used as secondary assets by ROKAF on their net work strike roles especially in the early days of conflicts. Even if they manage to develop batch 2 and 3 with more stealthy profile of inner bay covering those 4 missile as compared to semi recess possition in Batch 1, the scenario still the same.

Then the challenge will be for KAI to produce KFX that can provide substantial saving in cost of procurement and operating compared to F-35 and not much higher then FA-50.
This's quite a challenge considering KFX will be operational on the end of this decade as the fastest (this with the condition of the prototype will be flying in 2022/23). By that time the cost of F-35 procurement and operating predicted to reduce significant from present time, even calculating inflation factor.

For SEA nation like Indonesia, Philippines, or Thailand that being targeted as potential export market as TA/FA-50 now, then the question will be by 2030, can they have access to F-35 ? If yes, why the need of KFX considering for secondary role they can procured more numerous light fighter like FA-50. Even now KAI already developing FA-50 blk 2 with consider can be used as replacement for F-5 and early models of F-16 in ROKAF.

Looking to the comments section, there are quite a number of Korean enthusiast that ask (in my opinion) legitimate question. If the cost of F-35 will go down, is KFX still needed ?

South Korea now is one of two countries (with Turkey) outside US that have manufacturing facilities for F-16. Will then they will go with manufacturing under license F-35 ?
Off course the idea for KFX as part for domestic/indigenous fighters manufacturing, always have some merit.

It will then back to how far this KFX cost really turn out compared to F-35. KFX in my opinion will have lower cost then F-35..the question is the lower cost significant enough that provide what ROKAF aim for ?
That's the question in my opinion.

Ahmad

Thank you for sharing! Its good to see that even without financial support of their unreliable partner, there is still progress with the prototype, AESA radar and engine.
Here, much cleaner picture from Jane Defense

KAI plans to roll out first KF-X prototype in April 2021

by Gabriel Dominguez

1594097435721.png

South Korean aerospace and defence company Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) has revealed that it plans to roll out the first prototype of its Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) multirole fighter aircraft in April 2021.

In the latest edition of its monthly Fly Together magazine the company released an image showing the prototype’s fuselage, which was assembled at KAI’s facilities in Sacheon. No further details were provided about the programme but Janes understands that the prototype is expected to conduct its first flight in 2022.

Sandhi Yudha

Here, much cleaner picture from Jane Defense

KAI plans to roll out first KF-X prototype in April 2021

by Gabriel Dominguez

View attachment 47484

South Korean aerospace and defence company Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI) has revealed that it plans to roll out the first prototype of its Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) multirole fighter aircraft in April 2021.

In the latest edition of its monthly Fly Together magazine the company released an image showing the prototype’s fuselage, which was assembled at KAI’s facilities in Sacheon. No further details were provided about the programme but Janes understands that the prototype is expected to conduct its first flight in 2022.

April 2021 the roll-out, thats very fast and optimistic, if the prototype is in that condition at this moment. Big chance it will be end 2021.

Thank you for sharing!

Ahmad

April 2021 the roll-out, thats very fast and optimistic, if the prototype is in that condition at this moment. Big chance it will be end 2021.

Thank you for sharing!
Your Welcome bro,

That picture was taken in April this year, not at this moment. That was stated in my previous picture written in Korean.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This something that might be make some Indonesian poster like @Ahmad happy ;). As for me, I'm just say 'meehh' as still no concrete decision from Jakarta on what they really want with this project forward on.

In the end, like I've posted before, as Junior Partner Indonesia need to decide if the involvement more on gaining experience on Fighter development. While for KFX as products it self will be determined on overall cost in the market later on, for it's competitive edge.

Ahmad

South Korea unveils indigenous AESA radar prototype for KF-X fighter

by Dae Young Kim

South Korea has unveiled an indigenous active electronically scanned-array (AESA) radar prototype for use by the Republic of Korea Air Force’s (RoKAF’s) next-generation multirole fighter aircraft, which is being developed under the Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) programme.

The radar, which has been under development since 2016 by South Korean company Hanwha Systems and the country’s Agency for Defense Development (ADD), was unveiled in a ceremony held on 7 August, according to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).

1596829964132.png

Sandhi Yudha

South Korea unveils indigenous AESA radar prototype for KF-X fighter

by Dae Young Kim

South Korea has unveiled an indigenous active electronically scanned-array (AESA) radar prototype for use by the Republic of Korea Air Force’s (RoKAF’s) next-generation multirole fighter aircraft, which is being developed under the Korean Fighter eXperimental (KF-X) programme.

The radar, which has been under development since 2016 by South Korean company Hanwha Systems and the country’s Agency for Defense Development (ADD), was unveiled in a ceremony held on 7 August, according to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).

View attachment 47578

That looks very compact for an airborn fighterjet radar.
Not many countries can develop such radars, specially advanced and AESA ones.

Ahmad

That looks very compact for an airborn fighterjet radar.
Not many countries can develop such radars, specially advanced and AESA ones.
According to other news, who has a complete report, the radar is better and more advance than the latest F 16 radar. If I am not mistaken F 16 block 70 also has AESA radar. So this is why I prefer Indonesia wait the acquisition of new fighter until KFX/IFX reach mass production scale inshaAllah in 2026 as plan. While acquiring Su 35 may be still a good choice considering its range and the ability to load many bombs.

Sandhi Yudha

Yes.

"Very few details have emerged about the AESA radar, which officials have described as a “state-of-the-art system capable of detecting and tracking more than 1,000 targets simultaneously."
Thats quite impressive!

The only problem is the current government, they are not o ly against KFX, but they just can not choose any fighterjet in the last 6 year.

Ahmad

Yes.

"Very few details have emerged about the AESA radar, which officials have described as a “state-of-the-art system capable of detecting and tracking more than 1,000 targets simultaneously."
Thats quite impressive!

The only problem is the current government, they are not o ly against KFX, but they just can not choose any fighterjet in the last 6 year.
They have chosen Su 35 but there is CATSA thing emerges, but I believe as India doesnt get sanction from USA with its latest acquisition, Indonesia should not be afraid of acquiring Su 35. And particularly after Biden get elected in November 2020. Furthermore, with the latest offer from Sukhoi to let Indonesia use Westernern avionics on Su 35, the probability to acquire Su 35 is getting bigger. Many people say that our Sukhoi cannot communicate with our western fighter, but with this new development that is not a problem anymore.

As for KFX/IFX, the indecisiveness of Indonesia government that can be seen from the fact that Indonesia is still renegotiating until August this year IMO reveals that Indonesia still want to be inside the program. After the program shows good progress this year, I can see the likelihood of Indonesia to leave the program is getting smaller than in previous year. Our defense spending for 2021 budget also has been set higher than previous pre covid 2020 defense budget and stand at 10 billion dollar, it is now waiting for parliament approval. With such amount of budget, financially speaking, we should be able to finance 20 % of KFX/IFX development cost.