Russian Military Space

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to start a catchall thread for Russian space projects, as well as ASAT, and any other relevant system.

Here's a closer look at the Peresvet laser set up with a convoy.

Work is continuing on the Pion satellite, part of the Liana system together with the Lotos. Currently the system appears to only be operational at a limited level.

Work is also moving forward on a nuclear-powered space tug, the prototype being produced is likely meant for ground testing.

Photos of a MiG-31 flying with a mockup of what appears to be an ASAT missile.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A Russian-language article on the new ASAT being developed using the Izdelie 08 MiG-31 variant, and two different missile variants; izdelie 293 and izd. 328. The name Burevestnik-M and KA is also associated with this project, and it has no relation to the Burevestnik nuclear-powered cruise missile.

NPO Molniya, the developer of the Soviet Buran shuttle, has announced they're developing a new orbital shuttle. It's allegedly a civilian project that will fly in the next 5 years.

Last edited:

bearnard19

Taking into consideration the weakness of the Russian space agency I don`t think that this project is plausible. They can only make large statements and nothing more. Recently one interesting thing was announced that Russia and China are going to build a space station on the surface of the Moon. Both countries are not so advanced in space exploration to do it.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Taking into consideration the weakness of the Russian space agency I don`t think that this project is plausible. They can only make large statements and nothing more. Recently one interesting thing was announced that Russia and China are going to build a space station on the surface of the Moon. Both countries are not so advanced in space exploration to do it.
If you're talking about the NPO Molniya spaceplane project, I too suspect it won't take off. But as for the joint Russo-Chinese lunar exploration program, it's very likely it will take off, and might even include other players like Turkey. China has already made almost every milestone before landing a person on the moon, including lunar and martian rovers, their own space station, etc. They certainly have the money. China could realistically go it alone for lunar exploration but drawing on Russian experience, tech, and even some share of the financial burden, makes it that much easier.

bearnard19

If you're talking about the NPO Molniya spaceplane project, I too suspect it won't take off. But as for the joint Russo-Chinese lunar exploration program, it's very likely it will take off, and might even include other players like Turkey. China has already made almost every milestone before landing a person on the moon, including lunar and martian rovers, their own space station, etc. They certainly have the money. China could realistically go it alone for lunar exploration but drawing on Russian experience, tech, and even some share of the financial burden, makes it that much easier.
Yeah, that`s a good point. Taking into consideration the combination of Chinese technology and Russian engineers and scientists these two countries can launch their lunar mission soon.