Russian MBT Cannon accuracy

chrisnz

wondering if anyone has the full report on the Greek tank trials. Cant find much on the Russian export vehicles. Any info would be helpful :D. Btw this is my first post.

here is some info i found already

"Of these six vehicles, out of a maximum possible operational and technical score of 100%, best performing were: Leopard 2A5, 78.65%; M1A2 Abrams, 72.21%; Leclerc, 72.03%; and Challenger 2E, 69.19%. Next was the T-84 and last the T-80UE.

The Leopard 2A5 was the only one with a demonstrated deep fording capability, while the M1A2 had the best firing results during hunter/killer target engagements.

The German 1,500hp MTU EuroPowerPack was fitted in both the Leclerc and the Challenger 2E and these two vehicles had the best cruising range and lower fuel consumption.

The T-80U had the best mobility and reliability.

Some shooting results:

Leopard 2A5: ~80%
Leclerc: 65% targets hit
T-84: 47 % targets hit
Challenger-2: 40 % targets hit

No data for the T-80UE and M1A2. The Challenger-II did not use proper ammo, while the T-80UE and T-84 used practice rounds 3P31, which corresponds to BM15 at below 1.5 km but become unpredictable after 2 kms. The Abrams could not fire practice ammo and had to wait for 3 days before real ones were brought.

The T-80UE had an experimental T type transmission.

The T-84 was considered to be somewhat inmature and had few problems: smoke grenades failing to work. This info comes from Raids (french) magazine."

source "208.84.116.223/forums/index.php?showtopic=17459"

Last edited:

macman

This is from 2006...

The T-80's are no longer in production in Russia as far as I know, although I believe Ukraine still produces a variant. They're essentially a generation behind everything else listed there.

The current Russian tanks are the T90MS, which are supposed to be on the level of anything out there, although most experts still say the Leopard is probably the best all-rounder, although the lead is now pretty narrow...

Do a google search if interested.

chrisnz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is from 2006...

The T-80's are no longer in production in Russia as far as I know, although I believe Ukraine still produces a variant. They're essentially a generation behind everything else listed there.

The current Russian tanks are the T90MS, which are supposed to be on the level of anything out there, although most experts still say the Leopard is probably the best all-rounder, although the lead is now pretty narrow...

Do a google search if interested.
Well that's the thing i can't find any info on the t-80u(i think this is the model) used in the tests. The tank interests me so i am asking if anyone has the super top secret results.

Dodger67

Well that's the thing i can't find any info on the t-80u(i think this is the model) used in the tests. The tank interests me so i am asking if anyone has the super top secret results.
Do you seriously expect that someone who has access to the "super top secret results" (if they even exist) would ever post any of it here? :eek:nfloorl:

chrisnz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you seriously expect that someone who has access to the "super top secret results" (if they even exist) would ever post any of it here? :eek:nfloorl:
lol it is a joke, why would it be super top secret if they showed the results for the other tanks? I kid about it because it is almost as if it is super top secret because it is nowhere to be found :type

Dodger67

Now that I read this again in daylight, I notice the subject is the T-80 - which is hardly new. Apologies!

Note to self: Be careful of posting late at night when not fully awake!

macman

Actually a little more advanced than I thought, which was most of the systems running either mechanical or hydraulic systems, although still likely the bulk of basic systems.

The T-80U's 1A46 fire control system includes a laser range finder, a ballistics computer, and a more advanced 1G46 gunner's main sights, as well as thermal imaging sights, which greatly increases the T-80Us firepower over previous models. These new systems, together with the 125mm D-81TM "Rapira-3" smooth bore gun, ensures that the T-80U can accurately hit and destroy targets at a range of up to 5 kilometers (ATGMs and HV/APFSDS).
Probably the main problem in the tests is that they would have a much higher crew workload to get similar results to the modern Western tanks in the tests with their more sophisticated fire-control computers, user-friendly sighting mechanisms & it's still basically an out-of-date design - the T-80U from the T-80 built from the T-64. It's also apparently a real gas-guzzler...

More info on the T-80 here:
Main Battle Tank - T-80/T80U/T80UM/T-80UM1/T-80UM2